Find results in...

02/04/15 - Update From The Founders

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

02/04/15 - Update from the Founders    First, I hope that you guys caught that we put our full team names/pictures/mini-bios on our site earlier this week.  We’re very grateful that we’ve been able

Pretty sure this was previously answered, but we are *NOT* f2p.  It's not the right model for this experience in our view.  More details on the Crowfall business model will come out before the countdo

Shutup and take my money!

Ok so what constitutes a "qualified investor"?

Personally I think it equals accredited investor, I've never heard of such term as qualified investor personally, although English isn't my mother tongue and I haven't been anywhere near U.S corporations and barely even understand their accounting terms.

Devs can weed out some bad testers... but NOT if they have paid to be there.  Which is my point.

What do you mean by that?  Paying for beta access is just that.  There is no inherent requirement to take the advice and or do what the paid beta guy says.  If a beta player is continually giving bad feedback, abusing the bug report systems, etc, the devs could certainly put his account on "ignore" or something, while allowing that player to continue playing.

>Paying customers are less likely to do so.

I'm not sure what you mean.  Based on what, exactly?

I think someone who pays cash money to play a game is much less likely to give destructive or trollish feedback, compared to someone who got in completely for free due to a random lottery. Yes, bad beta testers exist, but I don't think they are any more common among paid testers, I think it's pretty much the opposite.

Ok so what constitutes a "qualified investor"?

In the United States, for an individual to be considered an accredited investor, they must have a net worth of at least one million US dollars, not including the value of their primary residence or have income at least $200,000 each year for the last two years (or $300,000 together with their spouse if married) and have the expectation to make the same amount this year." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accredited_investor

Basically, to invest in more risky business endeavors, you have to already be wealthy, the theory being it prevents people from preying on lower income members for investments.

Edited by malenx

What do you mean by that?  Paying for beta access is just that.  There is no inherent requirement to take the advice and or do what the paid beta guy says.  If a beta player is continually giving bad feedback, abusing the bug report systems, etc, the devs could certainly put his account on "ignore" or something, while allowing that player to continue playing.

>Paying customers are less likely to do so.

I'm not sure what you mean.  Based on what, exactly?

I think someone who pays cash money to play a game is much less likely to give destructive or trollish feedback, compared to someone who got in completely for free due to a random lottery. Yes, bad beta testers exist, but I don't think they are any more common among paid testers, I think it's pretty much the opposite.

noone is saying anything about a random lottery but you

From my experience purchased access to beta leads to so much more biased opinions. So I am in agreement with him, paid testing isn't the best way to get it done.

noone is saying anything about a random lottery but you

Then what?

Many kickstarter projects have a paid beta option.

Before that, most games allowed you to sign up for beta and they randomly gave out beta invites. This is the random lottery system.

If there is some third system you are aware of, please share it with the rest of us.

Crowdfunding is fine, just don't make the perks too advantageous. Like don't have stuff that makes you more powerful in the live game. Just have early access, titles and fluff items.

It also leads to "I backed, therefore I am privileged" mentality. Worst case scenario it leads devs to "He backed, therefore we should listen to him" mentality.

Then what?

Before that, most games allowed you to sign up for beta and they randomly gave out beta invites. This is the random lottery system.

If there is some third system you are aware of, please share it with the rest of us.

you really can't come up with a 3rd option?

Then what?

Also in multiple cases developers have invited whole guilds / clans to test out the game, they are just not always (read: never) published. From devs end it isn't random lottery, its an actual invitation.

Edited by nehemia

It also leads to "I backed, therefore I am privileged" mentality. Worst case scenario it leads devs to "He backed, therefore we should listen to him" mentality.

That always happens though. "I tested therefore listen to me" "I tested longer than you listen to me." "my guild tested so listen to me" Doesn't matter the method of bringing people in there will always be entitlement. Might as well let the Dev make money in doing so.

Edited by pang

Also in multiple cases developers have invited whole guilds / clans to test out the game, they are just not always (read: never) published. From devs end it isn't random lottery, its an actual invitation.

Yes, and from a players point of view that is still essentially random. If you are lucky enough to be in the right guild, you get in, otherwise you don't.  It's just a lottery for guilds instead of individuals.

Unless you mean every single guild that applies, gets in.  That is called OPEN BETA and usually happens after the closed beta.

Is there any way for an individual to get in on this? I want to support you as much as possible, but throwing $1000 into kickstarter for some silly cosmetic bonuses and beta access isn't really my style. On the other hand, I think this idea can go places, and I'd be very interested in buying $5000-$10000 worth of shares at pre-IPO pricing.

sign me up in the same category....

ShadowBane - Former IC of Societas Daemonica (2005 -2014)

ShadowBane - Former IC Nordic Chapter SB (2004)

ShadowBane -  Former IC / NL of House of Atreides, Damnation (2003-2004)