Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tyrant

02/04/15 - Update From The Founders

From my experience purchased access to beta leads to so much more biased opinions. So I am in agreement with him, paid testing isn't the best way to get it done.

Don't you already have a beta group assignment? 

In that regard, they are taking a bit of a turn from the other crowdfunding incentives - pay to play is not the only way to contribute to game testing.  They may of course also have reserved some number of "testing" slots for crowdfunding packages. 

And at this point, just pre-purchase of a copy of the game, be it standard or deluxe, will probably appeal to many.  Maybe we don't need to be enticed with fancy stuff to open our wallets.

rSHxVEY.gif

Also in multiple cases developers have invited whole guilds / clans to test out the game, they are just not always (read: never) published. From devs end it isn't random lottery, its an actual invitation.

Nothing is ever 100% foolproof.   The above method was used and abused in many games as well (Wildstar and AA being the latest I've heard of) by "Elite" guilds willing to use any advantage to come out on top (and thus keeping the most helpful exploits secret until live).

I think a mix is probably the best way to go about it.   Random forum invites,  guild invites, friend invites, kickstarter incentives, ect.

alpha/beta is for testing

many many games use alpha/beta to make money upfront.

I personally don't like that shift

There are firms that are paid to alpha/beta test, right? If I'm wrong I'll own it. But if I'm right...isn't it a little odd to pay people to test it when there are people willing to pay to test it?

"There's no way at all to avoid the terror that is human kind" ~Tully Ackland

:D

Also in multiple cases developers have invited whole guilds / clans to test out the game, they are just not always (read: never) published. From devs end it isn't random lottery, its an actual invitation.

This is traditional in the MMO space.  If you want testers to test your raid dungeon, you approach established world-first-kill types of PvE guilds.  If you want organized groups of testers to smash away at each other with catapults, you go to the guilds who have been doing just that for years.

The earlier the access, the more targeted the audience.

Edited by ren

rSHxVEY.gif

There are firms that are paid to alpha/beta test, right? If I'm wrong I'll own it. But if I'm right...isn't it a little odd to pay people to test it when there are people willing to pay to test it?

ya, but there's a difference between:

"here play 3 weeks before open beta"

and

"here, test this very specific mechanic and give us feedback, serevrs will be wiped in 3 days to test the next thing"

All I'm saying is, that they should make sure testing is being done properly :)

For Crowd Funding - if you sell access to alpha or beta... people will buy it.

Lots of people will buy it.  

Camelot Unchained has done early access and internal testing VERY well.  Small, focused tests.  Very committed group of testers.  Every game should go down this path early in its development if it can't afford a decent sized team of internal QA.

Camelot Unchained has done early access and internal testing VERY well.  Small, focused tests.  Very committed group of testers.  Every game should go down this path early in its development if it can't afford a decent sized team of internal QA.

The invisible number is how many people they turned off completely from their game by going down that route.

I have no issue backing. :D

But the only time I do is when there's beta access, So plox have that!.  :wub:

I'm wondering how much we would be willing to pay for pre-alpha access... :D

Edited by courant101

If you use Kickstarter, I won't send a penny. If you use another crowdfunding company, I'll consider it. Kickstarter is an unsavory and opportunistic operation, and I won't support them by supporting you. Potato salad, sexual assault tips, and a multi-millionaire who makes her daughter crowdsource summer camp while sending her sons with no problem. No way. What started as a way to raise money for legitimate needs has turned into a corporate monster with no ethics. Flame me if you want, everybody, I can take it. 

Edited by icywiz

"There's no way at all to avoid the terror that is human kind" ~Tully Ackland

:D

I'm done with MMO's coming from the big publishers. Tired of the failed promises and illusions of a 'finished project' only to log in and play in a half finished, half arsed environment  filled with bugs and 'show stoppers'.

Personally, there hasn't been a PVP MMO that was able to capture the essence of the 'old ways' since Shadowbane (open world pvp/loot/consequences). I want that experience again and from the look of the frequency of posts and activity on these forums, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

My guild and I await your final presentation in 19 days...I will gladly back you guys up!

Now give me my dwarf back so I can go terrorize some poorly made socks. I'm hungry and I still have a bunch of banes from SB 'mourning' that I've been keeping around in hopes you lads would return with something grand.

Cheers,

Ralin

The Balance - Nation of Equilibrium

"You can run but you'll DIE tired.."

Oddly, I am starting to find this to be a more important determining factor on if I will enjoy a game or not. I immediately wrote of SW:TOR and a few other games without even trying a beta based solely on who was paying the bills. Pretty much anything touched by EA is dead to me before it began and a few other developers. It is good to see that you all get that and are going for quality of quantity in your customer base.

This made me smile:

The good news is that today we have more options than ever to fund game projects (beyond the old standby of selling our soul -- and the rights to the entire game -- to a worldwide publisher).

To be clear: we have a LOT of experience working with publishers, and if that's the only way to get this game made, we'll do it... but the moment we sign away world-wide rights, we lose some of the control over our vision. Publishers are in the business of creating mega-hits, and the way to make a mega hit is usually to change your design to appeal to the mass market.

We've done this both ways with previous game services (worldwide servers and regional locked servers).  We'd love to service as much of the world as possible directly, but the combination of money to help build the game and most importantly for the players, localized community, service and support may lead us to work with an overseas partner for particular regions.  Mega-game corps have that kind of infrastructure and capital, little guys like us, not so much!

We aren't locked in as of now, a lot depends on how players respond to our game and our crowdfunding.

Thanks!

If you're going for companies like ProSiebenStat.1 in Europe I'm out. My experience with Tera and SOE (multiple games) was appalling in the least. And I will tell you, a lot of people here will think the same. If you're going for a publisher, go with the same one globally. Using different publishers in different regions for the same game is BAD. The games get treated differently, updates and fixes lag behind. It's horrible.

I'm living in The Netherlands, we play games in English with no problem. We actually prefer it, because translations are most of the times badly done. Some things (especially in fantasy) you simply can't translate properly. People in Germany and France think different about this though and those countries even have laws that things have to be translated there. But not so in The Netherlands (thankfully).

Please don't disappoint me in this. You'll loose a lot of costumers and a lot of fans.

Edited by bramhendriks

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!