Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tyrant

02/04/15 - Update From The Founders

Pretty sure this was previously answered, but we are *NOT* f2p.  It's not the right model for this experience in our view.  More details on the Crowfall business model will come out before the countdown ends.

I didn't catch that if it was already said. That's excellent, very excellent news indeed. 

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.

- Nietzsche

Pretty sure this was previously answered, but we are *NOT* f2p.  It's not the right model for this experience in our view.  More details on the Crowfall business model will come out before the countdown ends.

This is good to hear.

Edited by kdchan

Archduchess Alice

Founder packs and paid alpha / beta give access to players a sense of entitlement.  It also puts pressure on the devs because these people are already paying customers.

Choosing random testers is better - provided they are properly managed.

Yes, paid access to alpha and beta testing would create a sense of entitlement and pressure the developers in potentially unpleasing ways. 

I agree that choosing testers and inviting them to play alpha at no cost is the best method. I have alpha tested a game in the past, and the process was effective. Alpha testers were selected from the members of a closely-related game, called by the community leader, and invited to join the alpha test. I think there were less than 100 of us at first, with additional groups added as we moved toward beta. We were even given the opportunity to invite a few close friends to join us in later stages of alpha testing. Beta testing was open to members of the related game and then to the general public over a period of a few months. Beta testing was particularly fun, because all the alpha testers spend time helping new players learn the game. It was quite a festive time :) I still play that game. I'm attached to it because I feel invested, as if I had a part in making it real. I love to see little details that I contributed via feedback in testing and in the alpha forums. 

I think when players are alpha or beta testing a game, they are in essence working for free. Volunteering to test is fun work, but it ultimately affects the quality of the final product and thus the game's value in a competitive market.I don't think people should have to pay for the honor. 

x passes Yum x

Edited by iridianshadowweaver

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

I would love to be able to send some money in to help fund but sadly I can't at the moment. I will be totally willing to give feedback an such to help though! That is always fun, I love leaving some comments here an there an give my opinions on ideas. c:

I say to you: the Hunger is not your enemy. Your enemy walks among you, charming and handsome, with a tongue full of lies.

We've done this both ways with previous game services (worldwide servers and regional locked servers).  We'd love to service as much of the world as possible directly, but the combination of money to help build the game and most importantly for the players, localized community, service and support may lead us to work with an overseas partner for particular regions.  Mega-game corps have that kind of infrastructure and capital, little guys like us, not so much!

We aren't locked in as of now, a lot depends on how players respond to our game and our crowdfunding.

Thanks!

The problem with this is that paying you money during crowdfunding to possibly be locked out of the prime service (and that will only be the one you yourself will offer as experience shows) makes the choice much harder. I have crowdfunded several games before, but with this question left open I'm not sure what to do.

I'd love to help with the funding ...unfortunately I am on a fixed income. The best Ill be able to do is make small contributions monthly,  until I can find a decent job from home type gig! Or if there is some other way to help...let me know. 

Edited by majestic

~Majestic~

GL of Questionable Motives

"I don't do touchy, feely....I do scratchy, bleedy"

I'd love to help with the funding ...unfortunately I am on a fixed income. The best Ill be able to do is make small contributions monthly,  until I can find a decent job from home type gig! Or if there is some other way to help...let me know. 

Agreed; if there is a way to pledge a small amount (to get your foot in the door), and then build upon that amount through the course of several months (either through additional campaigns or a diff funding site) that would be optimal. IIRC, The Repopulation sort of did that.

Edited by quigonwindu

and subs are off the table too due to how the world resets are, AMIRITE? So when you voted on my Business Model poll... You were eluding to what it would probably be?

I have alpha tested a game in the past, and the process was effective. 

Hmmm...wonder which one YAR talkin' about. BTW, I'd pay cash money to keep a certain tester out of this beta. Methinks you know the hooligan of whom I speak. Made the testing boards impossible to, well, navigate.

"There's no way at all to avoid the terror that is human kind" ~Tully Ackland

:D

You could give extra free month if someone gives you like 20$ or whatever. Or just kind of pre sale of the game, which actually is a risk investment. (ppl might not like it, you might don't delvier etc. etc.)

Please no land, items, cosmetics or whatever. I'm fine with a pet though, but nothing like a special banner etc

Why not create a 1 week post beta for the corwfunding people/backers or how you call them, which gets reseted. 

Or go to the next shop, buy a lottery bet, and just win. 

Edited by xotix

So will crowdfunding and equity be mutually exclusive or is there any way of entertaining making them inclusive?

I hope not. As an owner you would have a vested interest in keeping the advantage of the wealthy players restricted to a shiny Epeen or two that don't imbalance gameplay. Hence the universal disdain for cash shops and P2P transactions.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Hmmm...wonder which one YAR talkin' about. BTW, I'd pay cash money to keep a certain tester out of this beta. Methinks you know the hooligan of whom I speak. Made the testing boards impossible to, well, navigate.

Haha, yes matey, I know the one of which ye speak. Methinks that particular tester is not present in this motley crew.  

Oh man, can you imagine the entertainment value? Or is it torment? I could never tell. 

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

and subs are off the table too due to how the world resets are, AMIRITE? So when you voted on my Business Model poll... You were eluding to what it would probably be?

Why would resetting worlds mean subs are off the table?

Why would resetting worlds mean subs are off the table?

Simply put and sucks I have to go back to MOBAs but that's all I've been playing the past few years really: you aren't providing a "100% persistent world" in this type of game. Sure, there are many worlds, and yes EK is really the only one you have control of. But it's your lobby. You're just chilling there. Plenty of games out there have lobbies where you chill and yes I know there's a bit more to that, but in essence, EK is just fluff imho (even with the powerful trophies). The true game (dev stated) are where the worlds are and they reset. And in any other game in which the game world(s)/servers reset on a constant basis (that I can think of on the top of my head), you don't charge a sub. 

My opinion is that we'll be seeing a Buy2Play game with Cash Shop, I am going to make another educated guess, that the cash shop will sell SKINS, ala MOBAs. Hopefully, no boosters (XP/CASH/SKILL, etc) that give any advantage, even if it's time will be present. I am hoping for a purely cosmetic shop and LoL at over 30million people active daily, and over 1 billion dollars a year gross says that it can be done as long as there is great gameplay.

IMHO anyway:) 

But my skins theory may be off because of armor that's crafted....hmm

But again, think of any other multiplayer strategy game. Even long term ones. 

Edited by XcomVic

Characters are remaining persistent and we actually don't know the full deal on EK yet. Though I am pretty sure it is instanced lands you can build a city on. I am just doubtful of a cash shop. I am pretty open to the world reset though I was hoping for a more overall livable world.

However, if they really want an in depth crafting system then sell skins instead of letting crafters make different styles of armor/clothing then I will certainly be fully out then.

High Fives and Good Times