Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Race and class design - Official discussion thread

Don't you think we will choose race/class at the same time, once we craft the vessel, we collect for example elken body parts and add a confessor rune and get an elken confessor vessel? 

Excited for this. Customisation and character building are the best parts of starting an mmo
Side note: really glad we can make chocolate elves  :wub:

Edited by Groovin

231e101d88.jpg

2 hours ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

Have you read the lore?

We are disembodied spirits inhabiting frankenstein like crafted and resurrected bodies, that we can switch almost at will. 

Nothing about those vessels has any real connection to our crow's "culture" or the crows origin race. This is a pointless complaint.

Yet another example of why I hate C&V.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want to turn this into one of those threads.  HOWEVER, it hurts my brain when they have all this racial fluff that is super cool and interesting, and then someone reminds us of the abomination that is C&V (undoing all that identity).

That being said, it is cool that they are taking customization seriously.  

Edited by Regulus

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

12 minutes ago, moneda said:

'Tis as good a way as any to choose the race & class combo on one's first entry to a campaign, because one doesn't need to customize the class as one does their physical appearance.

The real question is, if you already have a vessel ready to go, don't you *know* if it's male or female? ;P

I don't know if they will make the vessel be crafted for the various types of a single race...  an Elven crafted vessel is not yet a moon elf, fae, or high elf and then when you choose the class your coloration options change too.   Beast vessels do not seem to get that choice of sub-races but the class will make the distinction of the various cosmetics for Centaurs, Elken, and Minos...   Stoneborn and Guinecean are in that same boat...   the "new" parts are simply elven and human though and not tied to Nethari or any other sub-race...    our diggers got some new types of grave goods this weekend though.  

Gender is cosmetic so it will be chosen with tattoos and hair color like the rest of that fluff.

Edited by Frykka

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

1 hour ago, Teufel said:

@Frykka Your first post is what I would like to see.  In your second post though, I am reading a few things I would like clarification on.  I didn't think that race body parts would be hard to change, so that's not big news there that they are showing up as race and not archetype. 

• The body parts are racial but the body additives and options in crafting that vessel are class based

This is the part I have question about.  Are you saying that the body parts are additional bonuses that go towards one class.  So a player would harvest a "race" vessel, and then have class bonuses applied to the vessel.  This to me would seem like the vessel is both tied to class and race in a final production format.

• I sure hope we still get another layer of customization with creation runes as part of jumping in a vessel

While not definitive, it was noted that part of the big reveal did show the advantage/disadvantage system still a part of the current dev tools.  I can't say that they are staying (I would like them too as well) but even the spotting of them during the reveal led to others guessing that they are still going to be a part of character creation somehow.

The body additives give things like perception, dodge, etc, stats beyond the basic str, con, dex, spi, int that come from the philosophers stones so while they aren't class specific they customize for certain roles rather than class (I misspoke)...   I hope to see lots of ability to customize vessels...   the key is pooling the harvest so all the options are on the table for the necro just like having all the options for any crafter before they set out to make something.

Edited by Frykka

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

I know it isn't EXACTLY the same topic, but this raises the question of advantages/disadvantages again.  With silence on that point for so long (while talking so much about other character customization aspects) they are probably cutting it but aren't 100% ready to confirm yet. 

10 hours ago, chancellor said:

Maybe ACE can give Elken Confessors the option to have non-symmetrical antlers that look like flames.

that be pretty freaking awesome looking

13 hours ago, Hyriol said:

The Avatar creation screen showcased in the "Massive Reveal" trailer would seem to support this.  It clearly shows a Knight already selected, with racial options still available.  Where the vessel fits into all this, is still a mystery.

Wow, impressed you noticed and remembered that.

Also, on behalf of the entire community, thank you.  Thank you for ending this arm-chair "class or race first" debate that seems to be the most important design decision the game will ever face.

18 hours ago, moneda said:

Naaahh, we're not digging up genitalia from any of the graveyards. :lol:

So, is that lootable, then?

Or is everyone a smoothie, like Barbie & Ken?

Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Any chance of making other races hair available for races that don't have the hair available? What if I want to play a human female knight with short hair? It's kinda lame that it is only limited to one "race", because they somehow managed to completely monopolize the short hair industry. I'd even be happy if you would allow us to aquire other races hairstyles via payshop. Like, if I'm a human and want a nethari hairstyle. I can understand if you want the elf races to have different hair than humans, I mean, I'd rather not have a limit, this I can understand however, but 2 human races that can't share hairstyles? This was also my pet peeve with Wildstar, where depending on whether you played "good" or "bad" humans, you were offered limited hairstyles in order to make the other faction's same-race-with-a-different-name seem more "unique", because mohawks and punk hairstyles are inherently "bad"... sigh...

Honestly, there should be no reason to limit customization based on race. I really don't want this game ending up only having extremely limited choices of customization per race, because you had to spread all the customization out to different races, that look essentially the same, to make all the races appear more "unique". You now have 4 elf races (One has wings, the other is blue/red and the other has slightly shorter ears than the other), and 2 human races. I know the humans are based on the previous models of the confessor (nethari), knight and paladin(human male/female), but pleeeaaaasseee, I beg you, don't completely segregate hairstyles.