Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

A note about translations - Official discussion thread

I'm sure we can all agree we love the transparency during the Kickstarter and pre-alpha stages.  Going down to minimal communication after the game launches will be a sad time but at least we will be busy with playing the actual game and not needing to worry to much about upcoming news drop as we do now!  Keep up the good work ACE.

Official Moderator of the Unofficial Crowfall Discord!  Come join the discussion @ https://discord.me/crowfall

I am of the opinion that every gamer should know english. No need to master it but just enough to get by.

You really cant expect to come here and find stuff in any other language. Just travian getting out of their way to translate everything is already pretty neat.

32 minutes ago, BarriaKarl said:

I am of the opinion that every gamer should know english. No need to master it but just enough to get by.

You really cant expect to come here and find stuff in any other language. Just travian getting out of their way to translate everything is already pretty neat.

Yes and No.

It make sense to learn English but not everyone have the opportunity to learn it (at school, at home, in erasmus etc...) for a lot of things (parentals, country, money, etc...)

I'm the perfect example of this : in my school time (a long long time ago :P ) there were 3 choices of languages (German, English, Dutch) + the native one (French) and my parents decided i needed to learn Dutch (who's the second official language in Belgium)

So i never learned English at school (and you can see it from all the grammar faults i probably do when writing) in fact i learned English on MMOs/Internet (mainly in fact, Shadowbane while playing on US servers :D )

For the topic, i'm glad of the translations and i found the pace of translate good enough (compared to some others KS mmos) and so thanks Ace and Travian for the stuff happening there

WnxjrJ9.gif

Thelanas Kar'Pal Membre fondateur de l'alliance Naerth en 2001 - Ex Shadowbane European Advisor Damnation/Carnage/Vindication/Corruption http://www.twitch.tv/gorwald/profile

5 minutes ago, blazzen said:

yeah, I don't think people would be happy with that.

(Though I do recall once using an auto-translator on a chunk of the Shadowbane narrative, we went English to Chinese then BACK into English, the result was absolutely fantastic.)

Todd

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

4 minutes ago, jtoddcoleman said:

(Though I do recall once using an auto-translator on a chunk of the Shadowbane narrative, we went English to Chinese then BACK into English, the result was absolutely fantastic.)

Todd

I'm not suggesting it would replace Travian Games from doing translations/localization but if non-English speakers are unhappy with the speed at which news items are translated I've found Google Translate is good enough for me to get the gist of things. 

23 minutes ago, jtoddcoleman said:

Todd

Thanks, I have officialy wasted half a day writing random text and copying text into google translate for chinese, then back to english XD.

About translation in that particular article :

The J. from J. Todd Coleman became a 1. in the french translation.

Beside that, no complaints about translation. In fact, i find great that the game is starting to already get it's translation  while some game are out without translation when the publisher promised the translation for the release, which happened 4 months ago.

Hat down to Travian games for their awesome job !

1459889836-gein-william.png

Once we are officially “live”, the manner and cadence of our community and development-related communications will change. It’s inevitable.  We’ll shift to a model that is more traditional for a commercial MMO; you’ll see more information about what is happening IN the game, and what we are planning to add TO the game, and far less about WHO we are (the development team) and HOW we do what we do.

(emphasis added)

I cried a little.  I'm going to miss the pre-alpha experience. :(:(:(

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

In my experience it is pretty unusual that game websites (and even more the news) start to get translated as early in development as ACE did (which was unbelievable 2 years ago now - shortly after kickstarter). Back in the time this was a great signal to the european communities and a huge 'trust-builder' -- though (or especially because) it surely caused a lot of inconviniences for ACE. This, generally, can not be estimated high enough.

Additionally, since Travian took over the translations a few month ago, the general quality of the german translations improved tremendously, which is also great.

Especially since early translations are always a risk. People often tend to want more than they already have - sometimes neglecting the fact that what they have is already something extraordinary. Not considering this (as customer) would simply be wrong.

This said, though i would expect from serious Crowfall supporters to stand up, if in their opinion probable issues, for example with a translation in their language, might have the potential to damage the reputation of Crowfall or otherwise might limit it's chances to develop it's full potential (and not to sit down until they are sure it has been understood -- not solved, not promised to be changed, maybe not even accepted as a problem ... but understood), i don't think that getting the normal news some days later could fall into this category.

I'd even say, if it saves money and helps the development, forget about translating those news that are not important for marketing (the communities can do that themselves, indeed it even might help them finding together, or at least keep them busy) -- but handle those who are with extra care. 

However, it's good to see that even such more or less side-stage matters are discussed within the team and that these thoughts are shared with us. That's just awesome and means a lot. Thanks for that.

2W1ZHpA.jpg

3 hours ago, jtoddcoleman said:

Todd

This quote, converted to Chinese, then back to English:

Yes, I do not think people will be happy with that.

(Although I remember using the automatic translation most of the time in the "shadow narrative", but we translated English into Chinese and then returned to English, and the result was fantastic.

Todd

I'm impressed with how far Google translate has come. Years ago you used to get hilarious gibberish out of that maneuver. Now you get.. something that actually makes sense but is terribly wrong in a subtle way.

As far as english is concerned, google translate works pretty well. Bu if you want to translate from another language into another languages, that's a different story. You will indeed get the best results if you first translate into english and then into the third language.

2W1ZHpA.jpg