Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

A note about translations - Official discussion thread

4 hours ago, Purpearl said:

The J. from J. Todd Coleman became a 1. in the french translation.

When i read your post first, i didn't recognize it as something special. But once i saw this as a signature ... really ... it's just hilarious. Bwaahahaha, no offense meant .... but ... can't ... hold it ... sorry ...

0LzCPNr.jpg

I mean, i always was wondering how they manage to do all this work with such a small team. But now the scales fall from my eyes: Cloning! And it's so obvious, now that i think about it. 1st Todd is writing messages (obviously). 2nd Todd is checking the engineers progress. 3rd Todd is negotiating with potential partners. 4th Todd is in a meeting. 5th Todd is trying to get rid of Max. 6th Todd is drawing sketches (that's the one they internally call Batman). They can't make a 7th Todd to make the Q&A videos, though, for splitting his soul into seven would make him Voldemort ... and we all know how this turned out, don't we - no thanks. :D

2W1ZHpA.jpg

18 minutes ago, Kraahk said:

I mean, i always was wondering how they manage to do all this work with such a small team. But now the scales fall from my eyes: Cloning! And it's so obvious, now that i think about it. 1st Todd is writing messages (obviously). 2nd Todd is checking the engineers progress. 3rd Todd is negotiating with potential partners. 4th Todd is in a meeting. 5th Todd is trying to get rid of Max. 6th Todd is drawing sketches (that's the one they internally call Batman). They can't make a 7th Todd to make the Q&A videos, though, for splitting his soul into seven would make him Voldemort ... and we all know how this turned out, don't we - no thanks. :D

You know too much

PVSRvNR.png

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

10 hours ago, jtoddcoleman said:

yeah, I don't think people would be happy with that.

(Though I do recall once using an auto-translator on a chunk of the Shadowbane narrative, we went English to Chinese then BACK into English, the result was absolutely fantastic.)

Todd

I only trust copy which has reached equilibrium with http://www.translationparty.com/.

Click here to join the Crowfall Discord chat community

Sekket on Mourning. Bhorov on Test Server. Youma the Pirate wherever TSP has sailed.

I'd love to see the mmo start as a pvp zone where players have to build onto a small parcle of map and when players do add a significant portion onto the world map then will crow-fall developers start adding towns and npcs, mobs chests whatever.

12 hours ago, moneda said:

One day Tyrant will not personally be replying to support tickets. :o

yeah but he deserve vacancies after release because, damn Gordon is a beast for helping customers !

We will still have pizza rolls memories anywayto remember the good old times :D 

Edited by Gorwald

WnxjrJ9.gif

Thelanas Kar'Pal Membre fondateur de l'alliance Naerth en 2001 - Ex Shadowbane European Advisor Damnation/Carnage/Vindication/Corruption http://www.twitch.tv/gorwald/profile

14 hours ago, Tinnis said:

You know too much

PVSRvNR.png

Wow, that's one sexy dev team.  I love the hair on Toddlissa, and that vest that Toddathan is wearing is a nice touch.

Todd

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

17 hours ago, Kraahk said:

team. But now the scales fall from my eyes: Cloning! And it's so obvious, now that i think about it. 1st Todd is writing messages (obviously). 2nd Todd is checking the engineers progress. 3rd Todd is negotiating with potential partners. 4th Todd is in a meeting. 5th Todd is trying to get rid of Max. 6th Todd is drawing sketches (that's the one they internally call Batman). They can't make a 7th Todd to make the Q&A videos, though, for splitting his soul into seven would make him Voldemort ... and we all know how this turned out, don't we - no thanks. :D

Clones are fine as long as they don't start cloning the clones. Anyone who has seen the movie "Multiplicity" knows this. We would have to call the clone of a clone "ReTodd". 

Edited by blazzen

On 6/8/2017 at 8:34 AM, jtoddcoleman said:

Wow, that's one sexy dev team.  I love the hair on Toddlissa, and that vest that Toddathan is wearing is a nice touch.

Todd

I prefer the handsome group of former interns we hired last summer.

ESUuUQy.jpg

Max Lancaster, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @crowfallgame | Like us on Facebook

On 6/7/2017 at 0:00 PM, BarriaKarl said:

I am of the opinion that every gamer should know english. No need to master it but just enough to get by.

You really cant expect to come here and find stuff in any other language. Just travian getting out of their way to translate everything is already pretty neat.

I am of the opinion that this is nonsense. People shouldn't have to learn a language to have a hobby, unless that hobby is learning languages.

That said, I'm not saying that localization should be mandatory, though there is a strong case to make for localizing every game into every language spoken in countries with access to games. Not what I'm here to say, though - I think more countries should start making games. For a whole bunch of reasons. Then maybe we English-speakers could get a chance to see awesome games that aren't being localized for us and learn the value of Travian's localization team and other companies who perform similar functions. Might kickstart the whole idea of having a localization team as an essential part of game development. Everybody wins.

Edit: side note, I know it's not that simple. But if we're proposing that every gamer learn English, we're already fantasizing about idealistic futures. So shut it. >:

Edited by goose

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Pre-alpha <--this is where we are. If your complaint is that the game don't not works good, come back later.

5 hours ago, goose said:

I am of the opinion that this is nonsense. People shouldn't have to learn a language to have a hobby, unless that hobby is learning languages.

That said, I'm not saying that localization should be mandatory, though there is a strong case to make for localizing every game into every language spoken in countries with access to games. Not what I'm here to say, though - I think more countries should start making games. For a whole bunch of reasons. Then maybe we English-speakers could get a chance to see awesome games that aren't being localized for us and learn the value of Travian's localization team and other companies who perform similar functions. Might kickstart the whole idea of having a localization team as an essential part of game development. Everybody wins.

Edit: side note, I know it's not that simple. But if we're proposing that every gamer learn English, we're already fantasizing about idealistic futures. So shut it. >:

So you expect people to go out of their way to make things easier for you? You wont go far with that attitude.

English is everywhere! I could argue that everyone on the internet should know english but i will not go there. My opinion is simple, everyone should know english because that opens so many options in so many things that it should be a no-brainer.

Want to be a gamer but dont want to learn english? Have fun playing second rate games. Even if some big games are translated you should be aware that you will miss a lot of stuff.

PS: I am brazilian, born and raised here. My folks still think english is gibberish but hey! Here i am.

14 hours ago, BarriaKarl said:

So you expect people to go out of their way to make things easier for you? You wont go far with that attitude.

English is everywhere! I could argue that everyone on the internet should know english but i will not go there. My opinion is simple, everyone should know english because that opens so many options in so many things that it should be a no-brainer.

Want to be a gamer but dont want to learn english? Have fun playing second rate games. Even if some big games are translated you should be aware that you will miss a lot of stuff.

PS: I am brazilian, born and raised here. My folks still think english is gibberish but hey! Here i am.

My point was never that people should go out of their way to cater to me. If that's what you took away from my post, then I did a poorly made socksty job of writing it, because that is the exact opposite of my point.

In fact, if you're from Brazil, your country seems to agree with the point I was TRYING to make, because they are making an effort as we speak to start developing games locally instead of localizing games from other countries.

My point was that, if all games were localized for all languages, EVERYBODY would benefit. Not just gamers, but the companies that make games and the gaming market as a whole. I feel like gaming as it exists right now is too focused on English and not focused enough on the worldwide market for games that could and should be growing.

Edit: TL;DR: LOCALIZATION WOOOOOOOOOOOO I wish there was more of it.

Edited by goose

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Pre-alpha <--this is where we are. If your complaint is that the game don't not works good, come back later.