Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scimitar vs Staff

Jjohnsin

So....quick question. Why is it that the "support" based discipline, or at least what I consider should be the "support" discipline gets Stars Aligned? It seems intuitive to me that the discipline that is pure damage based should get the DPS buff. I mean there is literally no reason imo to take scimitar over staff. Especially when staff already has an AoE root that makes it a contender straight up without Stars Aligned. 

i would not call master of staves the 'support' weapon - it encapsulates the balance between life and death trays that is core to the druid playstyle.

even ignoring the value the staves brings: scimitar is just bad.

losing the life tray for a rage-want-to-be passive essence generation that can't even sustain basic attack etc over long term

with copy cat version of a minor rune to pop out healing orbs on damage (that heal for trivial amounts)

while also losing all your skill training on your weapons

call storm is single target, long cd and really hard to hit with.

grounded group buff is so useless and situational to be laughable.

staves brings the core gameplay of the druid out: weaving between trays.

and the root is gold. stars aligns lets you get more value out of your limited time in death [with both +damage and better power costs]

also quick burn is great (when it works - all essence adjusting powers and passives currently bugged) you can go the slow growth direction too if you want to.

soothing winds also lets you hit moving and distance targets and maintain a heal on them while doing other things e.g. avatar or death tray

tl;dr

staves is amazing and should almost be part of the core druid kit...

scimitar on the other hands takes everything about what the druid is and throws it away. badly, without fixing any of it's issues.

Edited by Tinnis

13 hours ago, Tinnis said:

tl;dr

staves is amazing and should almost be part of the core druid kit...

scimitar on the other hands takes everything about what the druid is and throws it away. badly, without fixing any of it's issues.

I won't disagree for sure. Perhaps calling staff the "support" weapon wasn't a good way to phrase it...I just see it as more of a hybrid weapon. whereas scimitar is based on DPS and imo should really be the weapon that got Stars Aligned. Staff already has the 6 combo to manage essence, on top of the passives. I don't see where it also needs Stars Aligned in terms of essence management when scimitar has very little control over their essence and could really use not only the damage buff but also the resource cost reduction. my .02

But I 100% agree with you that staff is amazing and that scimitar is pretty meh. I don't think its terrible...it actually does good damage and especially with the new spark, on top of blight, and a electric damage weapon I can almost combo someone 100% of their HP if i land everything (not including bear). It just doesn't have anything going for it. It needs an interesting essence mechanic first off, and not passive rage regen like you said. I think the stun is decent, but I'd like to see it call a "storm" on your target stunning them and electrifying the ground around the target either slowing or dazing enemies in 5-10m around the target. Those two changes imo would make scimitar a worthy decision against staves.....even tho the root is pretty dank stronk