Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The oddity of Inventory Bloat

Anhrez

I know its early in our efforts, but a few of the crafting options seems to create some challenging bloat for inventory. Do nails need to come from bars?

Something just feels off on the 3 steps :)

8g9DS2i.png

Don't forget, the one EK that no one will judge you for looting your guilds treasury is Anhrez's Doober Shack. Where you can take those long con gains and 'simplify' them to more easily fit in your inventory. While you are unloading your hard earned winnings, swing by the Bazaar and pick up something to celebrate your genius.

LR0tCJt.png

2 hours ago, anhrezcf said:

I know its early in our efforts, but a few of the crafting options seems to create some challenging bloat for inventory. Do nails need to come from bars?

Something just feels off on the 3 steps :)

8g9DS2i.png

I've noticed this as well.  

It was my hope that with factories and identical runs of the exact same bar, those would start stacking, because the "real" reason they can't/don't right now is every bar has a unique serial number that must be kept separate.

1 hour ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

I've noticed this as well.  

It was my hope that with factories and identical runs of the exact same bar, those would start stacking, because the "real" reason they can't/don't right now is every bar has a unique serial number that must be kept separate.

How does serial numbers work? I believe if two items are equal (same gold bar) and have the same stats they should stack (have the same serial).

It should be what the game is using but there is a chance it is considering fail-sucess different from sucess-fail.

The chance to get the same results should be low (the less pips you use at once the harder) but it can happen. I dont remember ever seeing a item stacking (other than basic resources).

Edited by BarriaKarl

1 hour ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

Pretty much this is what I expect as well.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

57 minutes ago, BarriaKarl said:

How does serial numbers work? I believe if two items are equal (same gold bar) and have the same stats they should stack (have the same serial).

It should be what the game is using but there is a chance it is considering fail-sucess different from sucess-fail.

The chance to get the same results should be low (the less pips you use at once the harder) but it can happen. I dont remember ever seeing a item stacking (other than basic resources).

It's not the same stats, the serial number is made at I believe random at the time of combine.

So when you combine 9 ore to make a ber, you will get a new serial number.  If you make a BP instead of an item (when that is possible), every BAR made with that BP will have identical serial numbers.

If you make two identical bars, say Iron with no experimentation, unless they come from the same BP, they will have different serial numbers, even through the result item is identical.

I think what you are describing, would be the equivalent of an item HASH value, so that every item with identical properties, would hold the same value.  

I think to manage BP's, and have a constantly shrinking limit on final products, the serial method was chosen over a HASH.

This will not be changed substantially. There is meant to be an weight limit and a for lack of a better word "too big to be put in your backpack limit". Carvans will be implemented to effectively increase your inventory limit but it will also increase your visible wealth in the world.

Edited by Holyvigil

9 minutes ago, Holyvigil said:

This will not be changed substantially. There is meant to be an weight limit and a for lack of a better word "too big to be put in your backpack limit".

I don't mind a "weight limit", but right now the stacking system does not accurately do that.

First of all, OCD issues make organizing anything really frustrating (compounded by the inventory stacking issues).  I would prefer my ore to stack to 1000000 and have a weight value than the current system.  Really annoying trying to organize your bank.

The stacking thing is silly too.  Even basic armor and weapons made with the exact same materials and identical stats do not stack.  Again, make them stack and add weight if you want, but I hate cluttered, unorganized banks.

+1 for inventory bloat.

With the new lower values on damage/hp etc. why not just have tiers for metal bars, or any resource.  Why have these 0.0437 or .0436 values that right now feel very insignificant anyways.  True experimentation at this point is lost, and we don't need the results of being able to have endless varieties of metal bars (or other crafting items).  Simplify the process so there are 2-5 tiers of each, for every color rank (orange/legendary, purple/epic etc.).

The reason that I say experimentation is lost, is due to how the system works.  We have a process where a player chooses what to make, and then uses specific ingredients, which are all calculated based on random rolls.  But since the random rolls are only there as a seed for the calculations, we will always be able to know what the top item is versus the bottom item, and it's only a matter of time before you hit the jackpot and get the amazing success (through luck or extended training).  Experimentation should be about finding the unknown; but all we have is gambling for the jackpot.

While I appreciate the desire to have a randomness factor in crafting, the current implementation is just causing problems with inventory.

lUvvzPy.png