Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vicid

Phase 4, Winter. How Do You Expect This To Play Out?

A Campaign might look like this:

Phase 4 is Winter.  The environment is brutal.  Warmth is hard to come by.  Your kingdoms grows in strength; your neighbors falter and you demand that they swear fealty or face complete loss of the Campaign.  Instead, a handful of smaller kingdoms choose to band together against you.

Export Rules (for the Shadow) Win=80%, Kneel=50%, Lose=25%

How do you guys think the final phase of a campaign will play out?  My hope is that there will be 2 or 3 (or more) Powerful guilds that the others will gravitate to.  There will be a lot of knee bending, and then a massive all out fight.

But would they fight to the bitter end?  We can assume that losing your city means losing resources - so if you don't bend the knee you'd be losing much more than half of whatever's exported (not just 50% to 25%, but you'd only get 25% of whatever's left after your castle has been sacked.)

Still... I know from SB bitter rivalries form from these games... and many would rather lose everything than bend the knee to certain people.

Anyway... imagine you're in this situation... how do you think it will play out?

12Oe7ot.png

FTW!!!!

1980s%20nut%20cup%202.jpg

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me.

694a6f04-03a1-4af3-8e11-ddd1baa87348.jpg

I think this seems like a pretty reasonable assessment. The question is what the result of kneeling would be and how long that window will exist for. I like the idea of having a point in time to make a decision to leave the conflict through kneeling or to go all in and work for victory while risking loss. Getting a decent export from a kneel could be pretty valuable for future conflicts letting one guild stair step another that just got defeated.

I think this seems like a pretty reasonable assessment. The question is what the result of kneeling would be and how long that window will exist for. I like the idea of having a point in time to make a decision to leave the conflict through kneeling or to go all in and work for victory while risking loss. Getting a decent export from a kneel could be pretty valuable for future conflicts letting one guild stair step another that just got defeated.

I'm curious about kneeling as well - and how easy (or hard) it would be to change your mind on this issue.

Campaigns may end with everyone kneeling to one kingdom - that way everyone (but those few who had a chance to win but decided to bend the knee instead) gets the most out of the campaign.... but everyone but the winner giving up isn't very fun is it?! 

Edit: Just had a fun idea.  Internal power struggle?  Let's say everyone who played SB was on the same campaign and they all decide to kneel in a PAX SB nation.  At the head of this nation is Vicid and his guild -  The Vickets.

But maybe Phylor and Commander's Reborn don't like the idea of the Vicket's getting the lion's share - but still firmly believe in the Pax SB nation.  So he stirs up crap and there's a limited fight between our guilds?  Or a civil war of sorts?  

I suppose mechanically such things will be possible.  Point is I hope the rewards of winning a campaign are highly valued - to make sure players pull whatever (political) trickery they can to win.

Edited by vicid

12Oe7ot.png

I'm wondering if the environment goes hostile, kind of like season 4 of GoT, first outlanders try to steal your fortification or join you, than the undead hordes rain down on you in a final brutal castle defense...

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I'm seeing it now, super zerg 1, 2, and 3 are at the top. At the end of the campaign they decide to form super zerg nutcup alliance by having 2 and 3 kneel to 1. The next campaign 1 must kneel to 2, then the next, 3. Or they all form under 1 tag for big gulp status nutcup. Then of course, nuts are no good without some salt, so many kids will complain.

Edited by WonderBread

I'm wondering if the environment goes hostile, kind of like season 4 of GoT, first outlanders try to steal your fortification or join you, than the undead hordes rain down on you in a final brutal castle defense...

This is a lot like Travian. Travian is a browser based city building and warfare game. At the end of a server a powerful NPC faction appears. In order to win your server you need to capture a wonder from the NPC faction, hold it, and level it up. The NPC faction and other players will constantly attack the wonder while the holding guild and its allies keep sending supplies in.

Possibly getting too many guild to kneel too early would leave you unable to defend against the NPC swarm and reduce your income. Or possibly getting kneels will give you the assistance you need to keep holdings against NPC factions. Either way it introduces an element that helps break stalemates and also gives guilds assistance in working against larger more dominant forces. 

I'm not 100% on if I like too much NPC interference, but if it's only against resource holdings and avoids most PvP siege gameplay it might work out. 

This is a lot like Travian. Travian is a browser based city building and warfare game. At the end of a server a powerful NPC faction appears. In order to win your server you need to capture a wonder from the NPC faction, hold it, and level it up. The NPC faction and other players will constantly attack the wonder while the holding guild and its allies keep sending supplies in.

Possibly getting too many guild to kneel too early would leave you unable to defend against the NPC swarm and reduce your income. Or possibly getting kneels will give you the assistance you need to keep holdings against NPC factions. Either way it introduces an element that helps break stalemates and also gives guilds assistance in working against larger more dominant forces.

I'm not 100% on if I like too much NPC interference, but if it's only against resource holdings and avoids most PvP siege gameplay it might work out.

I'm thinking seasonal threat. Like season 1 and 2 your trying to etch out a castle for yourself, season 3 certain groups pull ahead and players deliberate over whether their strong enough for winter and ally or attempt to overthrow others and take their fortifications, season 4 and 5 it's die time and your liable to get side swiped by hoards of monsters.

Roughly speaking.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I was also wondering about win sharing with alliances...  My thinking was that those " smaller kingdoms choose to band together against you " smaller kingdoms, choose to take a smaller share based on their spot in the fielty tree we saw before.

I expect to get an automatic snowblower and a good jacket. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

My biggest fear here is stated above in WonderBread's post -

I'm seeing it now, super zerg 1, 2, and 3 are at the top. At the end of the campaign they decide to form super zerg nutcup alliance by having 2 and 3 kneel to 1. The next campaign 1 must kneel to 2, then the next, 3. Or they all form under 1 tag for big gulp status nutcup. Then of course, nuts are no good without some salt, so many kids will complain.

If "throne trading" or anything of the like starts to happen.. it will be ESO Emperor flipping all over again, this MUST NOT BE ALLOWED TO HAPPEN. 

Crazy ex-girlfriends are like a box of chocolates...

They'll kill your dog.

If "throne trading" or anything of the like starts to happen.. it will be ESO Emperor flipping all over again, this MUST NOT BE ALLOWED TO HAPPEN. 

I don't understand how communities allow that.  How sad is that?  Do you really just lack the strategic or political skill set to undermine your opponent or are they so good at it as to be unbeatable?  If they form an alliance and zerg, what stopped you from beating them, disbanding and continuing to play? 

I hate to be the one to tell you this but battles are partially decided by numbers, I wasn't sure if you knew that. 

Everyday, it's somebody complaining about how few friends they have and how many somebody else has.  Make more friends?

Edited by mandalore

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Yeah that could easily be a problem in Campains that last a couple weeks to a month.  Longer ones probably not.

12Oe7ot.png

I have a suspicion there will be a PvE threat that comes with success.  And by success I mean "winning objectives in the campaign."  At present, I'm suspecting that these are measured in terms of resource control.  If you manage to control all the quarries and all the mines and all the lumber mills and GYs and thralls (which includes the resources you jack from other kingdoms by stealing them or plundering their caravans) – because resources per world are going to be finite – the larger of the percentage that you control then the larger the threat from the Hunger you will face.

This will probably be explained as the Hunger being drawn to the life-force essence or some such contained within the players themselves as within the resources you take from the Dying World.  

So, the bigger and more powerful your kingdom, the more the PvE threat you have to face, which helps when your enemies are attempting to strike back.  As JTC keeps saying, "Risk versus Reward."