Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eeliigaa

Playtime Availability

What do you plan to do to make the game fun and rewarding for both people who play 10 hours a day, and people who work 40 hours a week? Obviously, the more time you put into the game, the more you'll get out of it, but I don't think players should be punished/penalized, for not being able to devote every waking second playing.

Skills advance mostly via passive training instead of gaining experience points by playing. Every campaign starts with a new world instead of playing in the same world forever.

I'd say it's a lot easier for part-time players to succeed in Crowfall than in other games - as long as they know what they do. In the end you success depend mostly on your own personal skills, not those of your avatar. Nevertheless, playing more will undoubtly give you some advantages. But why shouldn't it?

So, where do you see a specific problem? The more concrete you are, the better your question can be answered.

Edited by Kraahk

2W1ZHpA.jpg

As mentioned above, the passive training allows a player to stay competitive, so a 10 hour player gets nothing on you. The only real disadvantages a player with less time has is gaining combat skills, which take time and practice and harvesting nodes - Harvesting nodes will most likely be a niche style of game-play anyways, so you're not really missing much there either. 

Find a helpful guild that is willing provide their members with gear and enjoy. Aside from that, obviously RL comes first. If you have limited time to play games, maybe its time to hang gaming up rather than request a company to make exceptions. Lastly, with all that said, the majority of this games player-base (so far) are made up of peopel who have RL - jobs, families ect. So i doubt you would ever fall THAT far behind. 

Edited by QuasiDoc
fix

3 hours ago, eeliigaa said:

What do you plan to do to make the game fun and rewarding for both people who play 10 hours a day, and people who work 40 hours a week? Obviously, the more time you put into the game, the more you'll get out of it, but I don't think players should be punished/penalized, for not being able to devote every waking second playing.

Your question is so broad and undefined, it comes off as you just being too lazy or too busy to bother reading the Q&A for the game and you want others to explain things for you.  I don't mean anything by this, I'm just stating this is how it appears to others.

Also, they did fully answer your question.

Don't take this the wrong way, but, is this some form of subtle topic starter for an introduction of passive resource farming?  Or passive play types, like in BDO or EVE Online where you're off doing something else while you auto-farm?

My hubris is the size of a 2 by 4 nailed to the side of a YF-12 jet barrel rolling into a volcano piloted by a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

On 6/19/2017 at 8:31 PM, Psyctooth said:

Your question is so broad and undefined, it comes off as you just being too lazy or too busy to bother reading the Q&A for the game and you want others to explain things for you.  I don't mean anything by this, I'm just stating this is how it appears to others.

Also, they did fully answer your question.

Don't take this the wrong way, but, is this some form of subtle topic starter for an introduction of passive resource farming?  Or passive play types, like in BDO or EVE Online where you're off doing something else while you auto-farm?

I'm clearly talking about how campaigns aren't going to automatically be won by "whoever is able to spend the most time online because they have no life, automatically wins". Spend-more-time-playing-that-everyone-else-to-win just as bad as pay-to-win, so both of those issues must be avoided in order for it to be fun to play. Otherwise, the ONLY people playing will be the no-lifers, since everyone else will get tired of being ROFLstomped by them.

Edited by Pann
Please see PM

If your prize pool for the campaign is limited by how you are actually able to perform during moments of conflict and war this should not be a problem.
It doesn't matter if someone plays 24/7 if they still can't win their fights.

Now, if there's some kind of 'participation' prize that will make things different. Worse depending on how things are organized.

The truth is we don't know, so we wait and see. It's a Pre-Alpha still according to current description so I don't worry about it very much. |
But being around when someone else is not, can be, has been, and always will be a viable tactic-in life and in games.

Also, it's very possible for the 'no-lifers' to be friends with and allies of people who have 'lives.'

ScornofLife2.jpg

Towns/Forts/etc. on the campaign map can only be overrun using a siege which is called a few days in advance & if similar mechanics in other games are anything to judge by, happen on the defender's timetable and not the attacker's.

As Canvox said it seems they are pushing towards window (some quasi-predetermined time to fight over something) based conflict for major activities such as controlling locations. That sort of conflict will probably play a large role in determining who wins a campaign and will impact long term campaign rewards, but also requires a large investment of resources and manpower, thus it will be ideal to insure such conflict is on the 'fairest' terms by using a window system.

Incidental conflict will possibly be more immediately rewarding as it will probably involve things like gatherers/caravans and will result in acquiring some resources or loot from your opponents corpses on the spot. No extra setup would be required for this sort of conflict, it is 'caught in the act' content so to speak.

lPoLZtm.png

On 6/20/2017 at 1:36 AM, eeliigaa said:

I'm clearly talking about how campaigns aren't going to automatically be won by "whoever is able to spend the most time online because they have no life, automatically wins". Spend-more-time-playing-that-everyone-else-to-win just as bad as pay-to-win, so both of those issues must be avoided in order for it to be fun to play. Otherwise, the ONLY people playing will be the no-lifers, since everyone else will get tired of being ROFLstomped by them.

We don't know how campaigns will be won. There could be a clear objective like: control 80% POI for 2 weeks or kill 50k of the opposing side or gather 100,000 resources. There could be hidden objectives like: find a specific artifact or build a temple and place an artifact in it or to defend/siege a keep. 

Right now it's clearly speculation and no one, except ACE, will have answers to your question. We do know that the passive skills will keep everyone near a level playing field skill wise, we know that resources will have to be gathered and crafted to get a bigger boost to stats and skills. You, personally, don't have to be a gatherer and crafter to obtain them, you don't even have to be online for someone else to do that job. You could just show up to defend or attack sieges then log off.

Edited by Pann
Please see PM

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

4 hours ago, jetah said:

I have no idea who anyone is on these forums, but I really don't like that you are coming here like you own the place. We don't need this attitude here. (insert lets all be friends, sing kumbaya and stuff). 

We don't know how campaigns will be won. There could be a clear objective like: control 80% POI for 2 weeks or kill 50k of the opposing side or gather 100,000 resources. There could be hidden objectives like: find a specific artifact or build a temple and place an artifact in it or to defend/siege a keep. 

Right now it's clearly speculation and no one, except ACE, will have answers to your question. We do know that the passive skills will keep everyone near a level playing field skill wise, we know that resources will have to be gathered and crafted to get a bigger boost to stats and skills. You, personally, don't have to be a gatherer and crafter to obtain them, you don't even have to be online for someone else to do that job. You could just show up to defend or attack sieges then log off.

I've been following the game since the first few weeks of the Kickstarter. Like I said, just because you've had access to the forums for longer due to better economic circumstances, doesn't make any of you the hot potato.

Crowfall has a good balance between letting casual players still compete and no-lifing the game still having a benefit. Since Crowfall has passive skill gain, there's a large social dynamic, and full looting there's a lot of room for players to play very efficiently. Crowfall isn't like a traditional theme park MMO where there are built in time grinds where you have to grind XYZ dungeon or mob for a specific thing or drop no matter what. There's a ton of room to outplay people with PvP, harvesting, and trading to where you can be significantly more efficient with your time than someone else.

The more time someone puts in generally the better they'll do in most MMOs. However Crowfall is definitely more balanced in this regard than most games. 

15 hours ago, eeliigaa said:

I've been following the game since the first few weeks of the Kickstarter. Like I said, just because you've had access to the forums for longer due to better economic circumstances, doesn't make any of you the hot potato.

Never in my post did I say I was better. It's been you who've come here with an attitude, so much so that @Pann had to step in. Just drop the attitude and enjoy the test. I know I wont no life the game when it's soft released but I will log on to make sure my skills are training. When I do have time to play I'll make sure I'm enjoying it.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty