Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Character death in a campaign


mythx
 Share

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, ThaddisSabbah said:

Yeah I have, I thought it was lacking-- but considering it is the first legendary item, the fact that no one knows the difference on the power scale when coming to items that are crafted, and that no one can play a campaign world with such difficult settings in the first place, there should be some things tested before we completely disregard them. Hell, they haven't figured out what a good quality over speed gap between crafting certain items will be yet. We don't know if those are the final numbers, and we don't know how profitable it will be to create an item. Of course the numbers are going to start small, but I am sure they will find a beautiful balance between a common, uncommon, rare, epic and legendary item. This is why things get nerfed and buffed in MMO's, when the players start complaining.

Another note:

It almost seems like people who are complaining about certain CW's being too difficult are being turned off to a sign that says "If you enter, and if you die, sorry not sorry," when they're at a theme park with many other options besides that. There are roller coasters that are easy, and there are roller coasters that might make you throw up. If you don't trust yourself to not throw up if you ride the hard one, DONT RIDE IT. Why should you tell the manager of the park "Nah, this one should be shut down because it's too scary" when they're making money off of the thrill-seekers? If anything, the competition will be more severe if nobody is brave enough besides the PvP junkies.

Are you saying it's a waste of development time to invest in severe campaign worlds?

Not at all.

I'm saying that they should not build with that campaign style in mind first.  If they have to choose due to developer time limitations, for example if FF is only for dregs, then they should choose to develop the playstyle they think is the most fun for the most people within the greater scope of their vision, rather than cater exclusively to the hardcore mindset of that vision or try to build substandard systems that cater to a smaller set of players.

There are many facets to what they have promised and said are goals, and some of them are seem to be in direct conflict with each other.  So expecting all the systems to make it through unchanged through experience and testing is rather unrealistic.  

I've also been pretty clear about these being my opinions and guesses, and that I am making bold ass predictions about player behavior.  If it turns out I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, but I have seen enough rage quitting over the years to make what I think is a reasonable guess as to what people will tolerate in the name of "hard core".

I happen to be in the camp that what I want is a game that works and is popular enough to be successful first, and caters to my personal preferences second.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

Not at all.

I'm saying that they should not build with that campaign style in mind first.  If they have to choose due to developer time limitations, for example if FF is only for dregs, then they should choose to develop the playstyle they think is the most fun for the most people within the greater scope of their vision, rather than cater exclusively to the hardcore mindset of that vision or try to build substandard systems that cater to a smaller set of players.

There are many facets to what they have promised and said are goals, and some of them are seem to be in direct conflict with each other.  So expecting all the systems to make it through unchanged through experience and testing is rather unrealistic.  

I've also been pretty clear about these being my opinions and guesses, and that I am making bold ass predictions about player behavior.  If it turns out I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, but I have seen enough rage quitting over the years to make what I think is a reasonable guess as to what people will tolerate in the name of "hard core".

I happen to be in the camp that what I want is a game that works and is popular enough to be successful first, and caters to my personal preferences second.

Actually, I am reading the 'When your favorite Indie gets money' and I now see that. A lot of what is mentioned there is brought up here I feel bad for making all the points I did in the wrong thread lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ThaddisSabbah said:

Actually, I am reading the 'When your favorite Indie gets money' and I now see that. A lot of what is mentioned there is brought up here I feel bad for making all the points I did in the wrong thread lol.

You will find this happens alot on these forums.  

Two or three almost identically topic threads or derailed threads will sprout up at about the same time around a news announcement, with the same usual suspects (myself included) waging a duel and seemingly fragmented argument as we forget which topic is which, and what one we made a particular point on.

Bonus points if it's started in an hostile fashion.

After about 500 posts or so you'll get the hang of it. 

:D

 

Edited by KrakkenSmacken
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, KrakkenSmacken said:

You will find this happens alot on these forums.  

Two or three almost identically topic threads or derailed threads will sprout up at about the same time around a news announcement, with the same usual suspects (myself included) waging a duel and seemingly fragmented argument as we forget which topic is which, and what one we made a particular point on.

After about 500 posts or so you'll get the hang of it. 

:D

 

Ultimately, I do agree with you that there appears to be a disparity in interest with player skill and occupation vs difficulty in certain worlds-- and ultimately, it'll be friends who trained for combat who are good in PvP to fight for the weak harvesters and crafters, and for the harvesters to harvest for the not-so-buff crafters who cant smash tier 10 nodes to gives crafters the resources to work with, and for those crafters to boost the combat-oriented players to continue to protect and assist allies that don't focus on combat.

In a way it's a new trinity system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...