Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Druid - Looking for some basic advice

Nirnaeth

So, I've joined Crowfall a few days ago and haven't had a lot of time to PvP as there haven't been any events since and I'm reliant on EKs being open with some people roaming around. Therefore, I haven't been able to craft anything fancy as EKs only give standard resources.

However, I'm looking for some advice on builds and how to level up best. I've crafted the standard gear, a slightly better staff and standard major, minor and weapon disciplines. I'm learning my first skill, but that's taking ages. I'm intrigued by the Druid and am planning to make it my main, but so far it feels rather underwhelming. My bubbles heal me for 150-ish, yet I read about how others can pull off 10k+ heals. 

I'm sure the answer is "Get better gear, get better disciplines, learn more skills", but just to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious: how do people pull this off? Do gear/skills have such a disproportionate impact? 

EDIT: Just read that currently the amount you heal is not modified by anything aside from support power. Is it then just a case of bumping support power to the heavens?

Edited by Nirnaeth

Hey there,

There are far better players and druids to answer these questions, but i'll give it a go. 

There are two different styles of druid - Staff and Scimitar . Staff druids use 2 trays, one for heals and buffs, the other (press T) for damage, buffs, and defuffs. When in the first tray, you have a limited amount of skills/spells to cast before your EES fills up (75%) and you need to switch trays to avoid taken dmg. You'll then burn off that ESS using skills/spells and switch back. Unlike staff druids, scimitar druids stay in death tray and deal dps only (minus the C ability which heals.) 

At the bottom of this link https://crowfall.com/en/news/massive-reveal-day-is-here/  is a list of major, weapon, and minor disc's. read through them and try them out. This link shows the more popular and viable disc's to use based on a council of players who vote https://stealthed.blog/discipline-report-week-ending-june-5th/ For staff druid, field surgeon is a must, then others vary. Weapon disc would be mystical staff, master of scimitars for scim druid. 

Skills are similar to what's in EVE - its all time based. Choose three classes to train, and one either Basic Combat (suggested) oir you can explore the other options for crating, haversting ect. 

Regarding 10k heals, not likely. I suppose there is a chance that one in a hundred players may have enough skill training to put out 2k in a single cast, but no way it would be 10k. 

Until campaigns open, we practice in one of many different ek's - I suggest you do this. Join a guild and learn. And yes, healing atm is very underwhelming, but they are working on improving the SP issues. 

Edited by QuasiDoc

Thank you.

However, without meaning to sound rude and dismiss your advice, I get all that and have been doing all that.

My question was why it would be that my Coalesce Life heals me for 150-ish max, whilst people are talking about "... 20k burst heals if you're coordinated with your group" and "... the orbs are there as 3k plus heals each, even more with higher skills".

Yes, I get these people have better gear, better discs and have trained more skills, but at least I got all the standard gear and discs (Field Master + Pixie / Mystical Staff / forgot my minor ones) and a slightly better staff and I know how the mechanic works, so you would not expect such a difference of nearly 3k on a Coalesce Life.

5 minutes ago, Nirnaeth said:

Thank you.

However, without meaning to sound rude and dismiss your advice, I get all that and have been doing all that.

My question was why it would be that my Coalesce Life heals me for 150-ish max, whilst people are talking about "... 20k burst heals if you're coordinated with your group" and "... the orbs are there as 3k plus heals each, even more with higher skills".

Yes, I get these people have better gear, better discs and have trained more skills, but at least I got all the standard gear and discs (Field Master + Pixie / Mystical Staff / forgot my minor ones) and a slightly better staff and I know how the mechanic works, so you would not expect such a difference of nearly 3k on a Coalesce Life.

Not sure where you read 10k-20k heals, but i'm gonna call BS. At either one of those values none would ever die. Simply put, iv never heard ro seen that on the battle field and i fight 10v10 weekly. As mentioned, healing is VERY underwhelming! Using Rescue from Field Surgeon would be your strongest heal and with the 350 extra support power from matching leather, songs, and a full tree of support training, you'd still only be healing for around 2k single target. 

Edited by QuasiDoc

Ok, that gives a bit of a steer as I'm not sure how much people are talking BS and waggling their e-peen, or truly know how to play their class.

Nevertheless, just saw a Caldera video with a Druid getting 3-4k ticks on his Coalesce Life, compared to my 150. He obviously had better gear as it looked rather fancy compared to mine, but I'm just shocked that gear/disc/skills creates such a ridiculously discrepancy. Also explains why I couldn't even scratch or heal anybody in PvP last night in a few random EKs.

1 minute ago, Nirnaeth said:

Ok, that gives a bit of a steer as I'm not sure how much people are talking BS and waggling their e-peen, or truly know how to play their class.

Nevertheless, just saw a Caldera video with a Druid getting 3-4k ticks on his Coalesce Life, compared to my 150. He obviously had better gear as it looked rather fancy compared to mine, but I'm just shocked that gear/disc/skills creates such a ridiculously discrepancy. Also explains why I couldn't even scratch or heal anybody in PvP last night in a few random EKs.

Could you link that? There are a few select players that have epic weapons, but believe me, thats very rare. Regarding the skills tree, do consider that the last wipe was about a year ago - we are hopeful for another, soon. 

Seems like I made a mistake though, where I thought he got a 4k one he walked past the Coalesce Life it seems, so must have gotten healed by someone else? Can see a few 2k Coalesce Life, which would be more plausible, but still a big gap with my 150-ish. Will go in-game and do some more testing.

14 minutes ago, Nirnaeth said:

Some time ago all numbers were divide by 10. Maybe this video is from the time before the numbers were divided.

Edited by Liger

Just now, Liger said:

Some time ago all numbers were divide by 10. Maybe this video is from the time before the numbers were divided..

Ah, that may be it. His 2k Coalesce Life would be 200-ish now then, which is not too far off my 150-ish given superior gear he most likely has.

Still, healing is then indeed ridiculously underwhelming. May shelf the Druid for the moment then.

4 minutes ago, Nirnaeth said:

Seems like I made a mistake though, where I thought he got a 4k one he walked past the Coalesce Life it seems, so must have gotten healed by someone else? Can see a few 2k Coalesce Life, which would be more plausible, but still a big gap with my 150-ish. Will go in-game and do some more testing.

"That was a month back before they squished the stats by a decimal point

People used to have 45K hit points. 45000 now they have 4500"

"That was before... I could get my Wisp to crit for 29k when i had 42k H"

These are quotes from vet players on this subject. 

Thank you, that puts everything in perspective and allays some of my fears.

Will give Druid another go. First thing to change is to add Dryad to my Field Surgeon major discipline as both seem to perform well. The rest perhaps keep the same: Mythical Staff for weapon disc and Matching Plate / Armor of Faith / Overwhelming Odds for minor discs.

10 minutes ago, QuasiDoc said:

"That was before... I could get my Wisp to crit for 29k when i had 42k H"

These are quotes from vet players on this subject. 

With the new changes lucky to get a 600 HP wisp (equivalent to a 6k Wisp during the time this video was taken)

Edited by Destrin

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel

Staff Druid is probably not something you'll be able to play solo atm. I mean, you can. But the way it's designed and currently balanced relative to other classes, you probably won't go very far solo on a Staff Druid. Because of the way essence management and tray swapping currently work, coupled with some druid passives and powers which are bugged and not working. Scimitar Druid is also not optimal as a solo pick because it has zero sustain. I'd recommend playing Druid at least as a duo with another friend, preferably in a group. But once those passives and powers which are supposed to help control essence management get fixed, and once the devs fix healing values for support classes, it might become more viable. 

15 minutes ago, Rikutatis said:

Staff Druid is probably not something you'll be able to play solo atm. I mean, you can. But the way it's designed and currently balanced relative to other classes, you probably won't go very far solo on a Staff Druid. Because of the way essence management and tray swapping currently work, coupled with some druid passives and powers which are bugged and not working. Scimitar Druid is also not optimal as a solo pick because it has zero sustain. I'd recommend playing Druid at least as a duo with another friend, preferably in a group. But once those passives and powers which are supposed to help control essence management get fixed, and once the devs fix healing values for support classes, it might become more viable. 

Thank you, I figured as much and I fully intend to play in an organised guild as that is how I have played my whole MMO life. Applied already with Caldera... waiting to hear from their officers. :-)

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2018 at 2:20 PM, Devonic said:

Ant idea when we will get a scimitar?  Staff druid is cool, but like it was said here, its not a solo class. 

You can craft them as an advanced weapon on the 5.5 test server. That will eventually be moved over to live or may even be there now. I haven't checked the 5.4 build for a scimitar. Previous builds had them available as a basic weapon but that was awhile back.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the scimitar in game yet? I cannot see it in the basic weapons.   please disregard, I see its an advance weapon

I find druid is hard to solo when you need to build up essence before you attack.

Edited by Devonic

On 3/16/2018 at 12:47 PM, Anthrage said:

Druid's are a much better solo class than they used to be, now that the essence management problem no longer exists. In some respects, it is the best solo class. :)

Please explain how essence management is not a problem, I still go into essence burn by accident when I try to essence up.