Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Cell size change - Official discussion thread

Seems like a good change to smooth out the edges of the map some as well.

Of course my main concern is the impact it has on performance. The smaller bloodbath maps are relatively lag free but the larger the map gets the more lag it has. I guess we will wait and see how performance is effected by this. 

When do you expect to implement this change? Simultaneous, before or after the implementation of the new campaign testing? 

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Website

I'm worried that the increase of cells, thus the increase of seams will make the map look worse overall. The current seams are not particular nice to look at imo. In some places they are really ugly. These have to improve a lot to make the map still look great.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

6 minutes ago, blazzen said:

Seems like a good change to smooth out the edges of the map some as well.

Of course my main concern is the impact it has on performance. The smaller bloodbath maps are relatively lag free but the larger the map gets the more lag it has. I guess we will wait and see how performance is effected by this. 

When do you expect to implement this change? Simultaneous, before or after the implementation of the new campaign testing? 

I wonder how much of that performance is related to draw distance and the fact it has to look for/spawn things like trees in the distance, and how much is related to seam checking once the objects have loaded.

WHAT'S THAT? YOU ALL HAVE BEEN TESTING SIEGE MECHANICS WITHOUT US?!

-rampages violently across the forums-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Pre-alpha <--this is where we are. If your complaint is that the game don't not works good, come back later.

In my ek there is a noticeable performance drop with 9 single square parcels placed vrs the single parcel that takes up 9 squares like the Capital. A very noticeable fps drop. I hope this helps rather than hinders. 

It also gives us the ability to go back to some of our parcels and add an “outskirt area” that we can use for the placement of siege equipment. That’s actually what triggered this change; we found that the best strategic locations to place strongholds were almost always up against the edge of the parcel – which means that we couldn’t guarantee enough room for siege mechanics. Now we can fix that without having to reduce parcel sizes or add enormous skirts around every parcel.

So does this mean that we can't build on the cells at the edges of the parcels? Or will there will an extra cell at the edges where we can't build?

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Is there where I accuse @jtoddcolemanof stealing cells from me ? 

heheh .... 

I could care less about the sub-division as long as we have solid performance and the ability to place the objects we've purchased in a reasonable way 

Edited by Anhrez

Don't forget, the one EK that no one will judge you for looting your guilds treasury is Anhrez's Doober Shack. Where you can take those long con gains and 'simplify' them to more easily fit in your inventory. While you are unloading your hard earned winnings, swing by the Bazaar and pick up something to celebrate your genius.

LR0tCJt.png

Just now, Caenth said:

So does this mean that we can't build on the cells at the edges of the parcels? Or will there will an extra cell at the edges where we can't build?

I don't know if you noticed, but if you're in you EK, some of the trees at the edge of the temple parcel are not choppable, until you attach another cell on that side.

Wonder when we'll get more interesting terrain and landmarks. Larger bodies of water, castles with motes, bridges, elevated plateaus with bridge / road crossings.

One of the things that's always disappointed me with procedural generated maps is that they're extremely bland and boring. I get why it's done, but I'd rather have one or two well crafted and interesting world maps with static terrain and landmarks but maybe with "procedural generated" poi points.

Some people might not give a custard about what the world looks like, where they're fighting and so on. However, I've found after playing games like eso and gw2 that having interesting locales to fight on and over is just as important as who you're fighting. ESO and GW2 had very boring terrain to fight on before they changed the world maps in WvW.

Edited by Helix

35 minutes ago, zolaz said:

This doesnt help me kill anyone ... fake news.

But it does, doesnt it?

Todd mentioned it in the article, it solves a issue with siege equipment placement. More siege equipment = more murder.

CfWBSig.png

Also, Bravo.  Playing in the EK, it definitely felt like the cells of a parcel were too big.  I'd love to see you shatter several of the existing parcels into sub-parcels.

I do share the concern about buildable area.  I already felt annoyance trying to find aesthetic places to drop buildings.  I'm worried that the more jagged joints between parcels will further limit where we can build.

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

1 minute ago, Helix said:

Wonder when we'll get more interesting terrain and landmarks. Larger bodies of water, castles with motes, bridges, elevated plateaus with bridge / road crossings.

One of the things that's always disappointed me with procedural generated maps is that they're extremely bland and boring. I get why it's done, but I'd rather have one or two well crafted and interesting world maps with static terrain and landmarks but maybe with "procedural generated" poi points.

Soon (but never soon enough!)

Also I'd tend to agree on preferring quality over quantity, but if ACE get some really creative and knowledgeable world-building minds together and pulls off both then it's win-win for everyone! Having a world with mostly predetermined geography also takes away from the value of scouts (only a little mind you), but it also clashes with the lore of "temporary, dying worlds"

It is gonna be a lot of work though, making a whole new world for each new campaign multiplied by the number of tiers... Good luck ACE! :lol: 

:^)