Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gagzer

A question for the campaigns and game as a whole

10 minutes ago, QuasiDoc said:

You guys have significantly gone off-topic, which tends to happen when too much has been said. 

The OP's question was regarding his friend and fear of dealing with zergs, not about how the combat will feel or any of the other stuff. 

The bottom line is, we are a year or more away from release and none of us have any idea how its all gonna work. BUT!, the FAQ section should give them a better idea of what they're walking in to. 

Combat impacts the way zergs operate.  Zergs are most successful in games with low skill-ceilings. 

Also the FAQ is often out of date, to really understand what they are walking into they would need to really read recent dev posts and watch recent videos of the devs talking about design philosophy and implementation.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

1 minute ago, pang said:

Yeah agree, there is definitely a sweet spot as far as numbers and still feeling like an individual goes. Played Warhammer online and it was just basically blob vs blob, though it had more to do with the way the system was set up ie you got points for capturing keeps but pretty much nothing for holding them, but still you never really felt like individually you mattered at all when the numbers in the blob got bigger.

So for me when I think "large scale battles" its less to do with the exact numbers ie 50v50 100v100 and more to do with how does the combat scale up as well to ensure that players still feel like an individual and not just a number in the blob vs the other blob

When I was playing Naval Action, the 25 v 25 numbers seemed to me to be the sweet spot.  Large enough that the battle felt epic, small enough that your positive or negative contribution could be felt by both sides and you could see who on the other team was a real threat vs weak player.

World of Warplanes settled on 15 vs 15, and world of warships 24 v 24.

I personally think that the numbers to design balance around is 25 v 25 with 5 groups of 5 in a team.  If more show up, fine, but I think 25 v 25 is a good target for skirmish group sizes.

25vs25 seems reasonable.  Maybe bump it up to something like 50vs50 to test logistics and large group management skills some more, but who knows if the game will be able to handle that.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

2 minutes ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

25vs25 seems reasonable.  Maybe bump it up to something like 50vs50 to test logistics and large group management skills some more, but who knows if the game will be able to handle that.

I could see multiple groups of 25 v 25 around a large central target in siege situations, like  four groups surrounding a castle, where each 25 v 25 group is essentially fighting their own portion of the battle, in a greater campaign.

But yea, will the game handle that?  Yet to be seen.  I think quality of play trumps quantity of players every time.

I have been a part of zerg guilds and I have played the part of the underdog.  The most fun I have had has been playing by myself and personally hunting down players that I have a beef with.  The next best has always been being in a group of players and running around doing hood rat socks with my friends.  Either in someone else's territory or when you stop grinding/hunting when the enemy is on track and you go out to get em to defend your own turf.

But then, Im just an old Infantry officer.  I like doing patrols and ambushes and kicking over the enemies sandcastles.