Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Clearing Fog of War at Different Terrain Heights

I was thinking that, while fog of war is a pretty cool mechanic, it could be made much better if it were dependent on the altitude of the player. Essentially, the players sight-line would be  a sphere centered below the player. This would mean that when the player is high up in a mountain, they can see farther out into the fog of war, but while in a valley they couldn't clear as much fog of war. I think this would give high ground areas more significance in the game for scouting and exploring, creating a world where biomes have a greater impact on play.

Yeah compensating for field of view and height when calculating Fog of War would be great, even if it's only roughly based on the surrounding elevation; it doesn't have to be pixel perfect, but enough to acknowledge that the hills are there and that you can't see over them, or that climbing said hills would increase your field of view.

As with all these things, however, there is performance to consider - this would be fine for the scouts, but FoW is something that everyone has to process - that adds just a little more strain to everyone's systems as large groups coalesce.

I'm all for it, and would love to see it implemented, but frames come first!

Edited by Xarrayne

P.S. Grr Winterblades 🦌

eecdd84bdc5daead4b795a3e075d2347.png

Good idea. It could also be implemented in other mechanics like stealth detection. if i am in the top of a valley i can detect anyone below but the opposite isnt true. It would also work nicely with projectiles but nobody know if they are still a thing...

Hmmm Perhaps using this raycast and the shooting angle could emulate projectiles to some extent. Angles below 0° increase range while positive angles decrease. Could work...

Sorry i have gone a little off-topic. Good idea though.

2 minutes ago, BarriaKarl said:

Good idea. It could also be implemented in other mechanics like stealth detection. if i am in the top of a valley i can detect anyone below but the opposite isnt true. It would also work nicely with projectiles but nobody know if they are still a thing...

Hmmm Perhaps using this raycast and the shooting angle could emulate projectiles to some extent. Angles below 0° increase range while positive angles decrease. Could work...

Sorry i have gone a little off-topic. Good idea though.

Did someone say "projectiles in Crowfall"? :lol: 

P.S. Grr Winterblades 🦌

31 minutes ago, Xarrayne said:

Yeah compensating for field of view and height when calculating Fog of War would be great, even if it's only roughly based on the surrounding elevation; it doesn't have to be pixel perfect, but enough to acknowledge that the hills are there and that you can't see over them, or that climbing said hills would increase your field of view.

As with all these things, however, there is performance to consider - this would be fine for the scouts, but FoW is something that everyone has to process - that adds just a little more strain to everyone's systems as large groups coalesce.

I'm all for it, and would love to see it implemented, but frames come first!

Would it affect performance though? I think all they need to obtain is the player position and then use it together with a topography map they should have acess to in their end. The map view could also only be updated when you request to view it . It all depends if tracking the player movement would somehow affect performance.

You'd have to make detection into a downward cone. For instance, on ground level, your detection/clearing of the fog works to a certain range because the  angle of the cone will end at the ground. On higher ground, with no limit to the cone's range, it will be much further. Think of it like this: When you're standing at ground level and looking ahead and down at a 45 degree angle, your vision hits the ground. When you stand on a cliff, your vision instead hits the ground much further down. This is your detection cone.

1 hour ago, BarriaKarl said:

Would it affect performance though? I think all they need to obtain is the player position and then use it together with a topography map they should have acess to in their end. The map view could also only be updated when you request to view it . It all depends if tracking the player movement would somehow affect performance.

Yeah, I have no clue honestly - but if the effect is negligible or non-existent then it gets my +1!

P.S. Grr Winterblades 🦌

1 minute ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

This is a good idea, I just wonder if it is easy to implement, and exploitable by hacks in any way.

You mean like telling the server that you are higher up than you actually are so you have a greater sight? It could be a problem, but hacks are always a problem.

22 hours ago, JimGrind said:

You mean like telling the server that you are higher up than you actually are so you have a greater sight? It could be a problem, but hacks are always a problem.

Nah. That's easily solved by the server doing a quick check to see what the terrain height in the world is at your current location. And you can use navmesh to see which parts of the terrain are navigable, therefore which parts of the terrain one can actually be at (some peaks can be reached some can't). And if a person uses a hack to make themselves skip around on the 2-D map to clear fog of war, then it could kick them from the server for that.

One of the main problems right now is that if you're sufficiently high up and look down, everything becomes dark. The only things you can see are nodes and water.

Edited by eeliigaa