Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That Movie Thread

nefastus

Just finished Interstellar and I liked it but it's just a bundle of nonsense. It starts slow, gets better, final moments are nice but wtf, and finale is "how to kill a movie with over the boundary fantasy physics".

I liked it but they totally killed it with their "I'll visual how physics and quantum physics/theories work".

That movie made me check my 2nd favorite SciFi horror title "Event Horizon", with the prime being Alien series. Event Horizon still gives me most chills.

Edited by Nefastus

i really enjoyed it...while the physics at times drift off to honey-booboo-land, the depictions of a black hole with its distorted accretion disc were actually very accurate and a sight to behold - and the cinematography was overall very good

i really enjoyed it...while the physics at times drift off to honey-booboo-land, the depictions of a black hole with its distorted accretion disc were actually very accurate and a sight to behold - and the cinematography was overall very good

Hence my point, they did a well job to concept art certain theories, but they failed with their implementation  (F.E. String/threads World Theory).

Edited by Nefastus

CGI has completely ruined movies for me.

Ummm, lol...come on now bro... I mean, how are we going to see a black hole though? Light gets eaten by it... There are some things that we need to fake...and of course...we don't have big ass spaceships that can go interstellar...or we don't have Predators who can cloak (although we do have cloaking devices now, have for a few years, still in heavy development)

Star Wars was amazing without CGI. The prequels sucked.

Look at the damn Hobbit. It was three movies that was 90% cartoon. CGI kills creativity and takes viewer out of the experience.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Star Wars was amazing without CGI. The prequels sucked.

Look at the damn Hobbit. It was three movies that was 90% cartoon. CGI kills creativity and takes viewer out of the experience.

Totally your opinion. I want to see fiction in a fantasy/sci-fi movie personally. And since I won't be seeing elves or dwarves in real life, let alone dragons....well yeah...CGI it up baby.

Totally your opinion. I want to see fiction in a fantasy/sci-fi movie personally. And since I won't be seeing elves or dwarves in real life, let alone dragons....well yeah...CGI it up baby.

Couldn't agree more. I love CGI

LW_sig_concept2_zpsgdrsfl7n.jpg

The kids today....as long as its flashy and goes boom boom substance doesn't matter.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Ummm, lol...come on now bro... I mean, how are we going to see a black hole though? Light gets eaten by it... There are some things that we need to fake...and of course...we don't have big ass spaceships that can go interstellar...or we don't have Predators who can cloak (although we do have cloaking devices now, have for a few years, still in heavy development)

the black hole in this movie was accurately depicted. the bright light you see is the accretion disc, and the part of the disc thats behind the black hole is bended towards you so you see it twice. i can understand that this looks strange to you, but its actually accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

Predestination.  I wanted to love the movie, but instead I could merely enjoy it because it seemed too predictable.  Admittedly I had read the short story it is based upon some 20 years ago.

Predestination.  I wanted to love the movie, but instead I could merely enjoy it because it seemed too predictable.  Admittedly I had read the short story it is based upon some 20 years ago.

I was waiting for something special at the end, and then they only "explained" what everyone should've realized 60 minutes ago =/

otherwise, sitll a solid movie imo

Edited by freeze

I'd rather see CGI than nothing, and there actually is a lot less CGI than everybody thinks. I find it weird that everybody is complaining about too much CGI in The Hobbit, when movies like Avatar shoot everything on a green-screen stage.

There is a lot less CGI in The Hobbit though, I had to study it in a tech class that we had to do. It was actually pretty cool, but I didn't like how we had to break down things in that class. In The Hobbit, The Shire, Dale, The River (The Barrel Ride, they put barrels in the river and filmed it, they couldn't put real people because they would well, die), Beorn's House, Outside of the Lonely Mountain in AUJ, all the traveling scenes in AUJ, The Stone Trolls (the fighting was on a stage), The player's Cave, The River (After The Barrel Ride, Thorin and Co, Orcs, Legolas and Tauriel, the orcs weren't CGI in that scene except Bolg), The Warg Chase, Azog's Attack, when the eagles come, the scenery wasn't CGI, The High Fells (Tomb where you see Radagast again), Lone Lands, The High Pass, The Dwarven Refugees in AUJ Prologue, The Carrock, Rocks where Orcs got hit (barrel scene, but the orcs were on a stage and put in later), Thorin and Co seeing Dale (Dale was CGI in that picture) Mountain in the opening of DOS, Bree in DOS, Misty Mountains, were all on location shots. Goblintown, Erebor, Ravenhill, Stone Giants (Without the stone giants obviously), The High Fells (The Tomb Inside), Dol Guldur, Laketown, Mirkwood, The Hilltop in AUJ, Rivendell, Radagast's Home and more were all sets.

All traveling scenes were not CGI.

All More Important Places were not CGI (Beorn's House, The Shire, Dale, Laketown, and more)

All CGI characters were mo-capped, and Gollum was actually on set with Bilbo Baggins

All Laketown and Dale fights were not CGI, except for Smaug's Attack, but the only CGI part about that was him attacking the town, Laketown was lit on fire, with actual actors on it, trying to escape

Most of the green screens you see isn't because of CGI, but to make the difference in height, if one actor was on a greenscreen, then the other are most likely on a set

Almost All of AUJ was not on CGI, until the ending, with The Great Goblin King, Azog, and Gollum. But they all were on sets, except for Azog.

DOS had more CGI, but most of it was to change environment.

BOTFA had a lot more CGI because of battle shots, but it was really good.

Sorry for that extremely long list, maybe that much researching that we had to do was not useless, that way I can tell you that there isn't as much CGI as you thought, you probably gave up reading, oh well, I just copied and pasted it, everything was on the presentation lol

Edited by bilbo baggins

Just finished Interstellar and I liked it but it's just a bundle of nonsense. It starts slow, gets better, final moments are nice but wtf, and finale is "how to kill a movie with over the boundary fantasy physics".

I liked it but they totally killed it with their "I'll visual how physics and quantum physics/theories work".

That movie made me check my 2nd favorite SciFi horror title "Event Horizon", with the prime being Alien series. Event Horizon still gives me most chills.

Yeah, Event Horizon was one of the first movies I saw that was actually frightening.  A couple of others being Stephen King's It (that first face-change in the drain made me **** my pants) and Exorcist.

I still remember putting those crazy flashing sequences on slo-mo to see all the gory details.