Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
narsille

Falling damage should be proportional to weight

Recommended Posts

So, I was running around grabbing leather from chests on my legio and had to jump off the wall...

It struck me that falling damage should be proportional to the weight of the toon...

  • Centuaurs and half giants should be taking significantly more damage from a fall
  • Rats shouldn't be taking much at all

 


WAZ6Fov.png

"The cinnabar is a lie"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lets hope they fix falling first, because its a horrible mechanic atm (super laggy and animations get all wonky) but i agree that would be a good addition(maybe we will see the first falling mechanic with assasins? they got wings afterall...)

Edited by elvo

6XZoThV.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, chancellor said:

Devs have stated that assassins won't take falling damage. They also will get a double-jump.

i wonder if they will take a look at the falling mechanic as well when releasing assasin, cuz its horrible as of right now 


6XZoThV.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2017 at 7:15 PM, narsille said:

So, I was running around grabbing leather from chests on my legio and had to jump off the wall...

It struck me that falling damage should be proportional to the weight of the toon...

  • Centuaurs and half giants should be taking significantly more damage from a fall
  • Rats shouldn't be taking much at all

 

Freefall speed and acceleration are independent of mass.

Edited by Pixelmancer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pixelmancer said:

Freefall speed and acceleration are independent of mass.

This is true.  And almost completely irrelevant to the point that I was making.


WAZ6Fov.png

"The cinnabar is a lie"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Za_ said:

Or lighter races should take more dmg since they are more frail

Lighter doesn't necessarily mean more frail.  A centaurs legs would probably shatter jumping from 2nd or 3rd story.  

Assassins (archetype) were initially supposed to have wings which would point to gliding but I would expect a change since the introduction of races and classes.

i agree with the damage scaling but I believe it should be based on dexterity and weight x (weight increase%) An elf in leather would take half as much damage as an elf in full plate. 

Where as a dwarf in full plate may only take 50% more damage than one in leather.  But a dwarf in leather would take more damage than an elf in leather. 

Example would for an elf be Dex/Weight*(10*Distance Fallen)*(% of increase).

2nd Ex: Base Dex-40, Base Weight-160, Distance-10, Total Weight-240 

total damage = 600 (400 for base weight+50% for weight increase)

where as a centaur may be Dex/(Weight*1.5)*(10*Distance Fallen)*(% of increase)

2nd ex: Base Dex-40, Base weight-800, Distance 10, total weight 880

total damage = 3300 (yes I know it is considerable more damage but think about what would happen to a horse).

And a dwarf: Base dex-40, base weight-240, distance-10, total weight-320

total damage = 800 (600 for base weight+30% for weight increase)

I acknowledge there are better equations it was just what I consider to be a reasonable example of what @narsille was asking for.

@narsille - good call

Edited by Mr.Kurtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could get behind an idea like this if they add more positive physics benefits to mass to offset the negative such as this fall damage idea. Any kind of push, pull, or knockup ability should have less of an effect on a character with more mass. 


Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Website

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that there may be something to work with here ........ my comment was slightly sarcastic since mass should not equal damage any more than the reverse.  I like the Dex addition - makes sense....... but so Does adding  constitution to the equation.

In anycase....... while interesting I would hope this comes no where near a priority at this time

2 cents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blazzen said:

Any kind of push, pull, or knockup ability should have less of an effect on a character with more mass. 

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blazzen said:

I could get behind an idea like this if they add more positive physics benefits to mass to offset the negative such as this fall damage idea. Any kind of push, pull, or knockup ability should have less of an effect on a character with more mass. 

Would the fact that the larger creatures could/should have more Stamina or Hit Points not be a start to the off set  ? 


Don't forget, the one EK that no one will judge you for looting your guilds treasury is Anhrez's Doober Shack. Where you can take those long con gains and 'simplify' them to more easily fit in your inventory. While you are unloading your hard earned winnings, swing by the Bazaar and pick up something to celebrate your genius.

LR0tCJt.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Za_ said:

my comment was slightly sarcastic since mass should not equal damage any more than the reverse.  

Ek = ½mv2


WAZ6Fov.png

"The cinnabar is a lie"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Pixelmancer said:

Freefall speed and acceleration are independent of mass.

in vacuum ;)

in air, mass, or better density has an effect as denser material gets less air resistance and therefore accelerates faster and reaches higher maxspeed.

however, as long as all races are made of flesh (hello stoneborn), their density is the same. Difference would of course be whats in the inventory. an plate-armed rat with alot of iron in its inventory is of course denser than an unarmored fae with nothing in its inventory.

stones fall faster than feathers outside of vacuum ;)

Edited by Gromschlog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2017 at 9:56 PM, chancellor said:

Devs have stated that assassins won't take falling damage. They also will get a double-jump.

 

The Fae race will be able to glide when falling and not occur fall damage.  Other assassin races will still suffer from fall damage though.


   Official Moderator of the Unofficial Crowfall Discord!  Come join the discussion @ https://discord.me/crowfall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Anhrez said:

Would the fact that the larger creatures could/should have more Stamina or Hit Points not be a start to the off set  ? 

It would be if that were the case. Champions have lower HP than duelists currently.


Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Website

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mr.Kurtz said:

Lighter doesn't necessarily mean more frail.  A centaurs legs would probably shatter jumping from 2nd or 3rd story.  

Assassins (archetype) were initially supposed to have wings which would point to gliding but I would expect a change since the introduction of races and classes.

i agree with the damage scaling but I believe it should be based on dexterity and weight x (weight increase%) An elf in leather would take half as much damage as an elf in full plate. 

Where as a dwarf in full plate may only take 50% more damage than one in leather.  But a dwarf in leather would take more damage than an elf in leather. 

Example would for an elf be Dex/Weight*(10*Distance Fallen)*(% of increase).

2nd Ex: Base Dex-40, Base Weight-160, Distance-10, Total Weight-240 

total damage = 600 (400 for base weight+50% for weight increase)

where as a centaur may be Dex/(Weight*1.5)*(10*Distance Fallen)*(% of increase)

2nd ex: Base Dex-40, Base weight-800, Distance 10, total weight 880

total damage = 3300 (yes I know it is considerable more damage but think about what would happen to a horse).

And a dwarf: Base dex-40, base weight-240, distance-10, total weight-320

total damage = 800 (600 for base weight+30% for weight increase)

I acknowledge there are better equations it was just what I consider to be a reasonable example of what @narsille was asking for.

@narsille - good call

Dexterity only helps you keep from falling.

What really matters is terminal velocity, which is affected by mass and wind resistance.

If a Fae with wings spread hits terminal velocity after a foot and a wood elf with higher DEX hits terminal velocity after 50 ft., the wood elf takes much more damage when he lands, and he lands first.


I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chancellor said:

Dexterity only helps you keep from falling.

What really matters is terminal velocity, which is affected by mass and wind resistance.

If a Fae with wings spread hits terminal velocity after a foot and a wood elf with higher DEX hits terminal velocity after 50 ft., the wood elf takes much more damage when he lands, and he lands first.

Not sure what that has to do with the price of milk in China.  I was referring to physical makeup and dexterity helping reduce falling damage.  The same way a stunt person (woot for being politically correct) can jump from 20 or 30 feet up.  Now pretend you exist in a magical world with centaurs and humanoid vermin.  

What about landing surface or angle?

you understand the math and/or science but that doesn't prevent other factors from influencing the situation.

lastly it was just a simple example of using existing stats to adjust falling damage to the character based on build and encumbrance , I never said it was science.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, narsille said:

Ek = ½mv2

Kenitc energy to proportional mass .............

Fine.......

But that does not account for the constitution or integrity of the "mass" ........ 

But I own a bar...... not a professor 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Anhrez said:

Would the fact that the larger creatures could/should have more Stamina or Hit Points not be a start to the off set  ? 

Hitpoints yes.  Stamina is relative.  While they may have a larger stamina pool they would also consume more to do the same things.  

I do not think a duelist should have more HP than a Champion but I do think that they would take more damage for the same hit as I believe them to be "reckless" by nature.  I think hitpoint pool adjustment is their (Dev's) way of compensating for that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...