Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

The First Campaign - Official discussion thread

6 minutes ago, supportdaddy said:

If you haven't seen anyone complaining then I am assuming you didn't read the 9 pages of comments

Been reading it since the OP. I see people bringing up concerns and potential issues with this next major milestone. That's part of testing.

9 minutes ago, pang said:

Been reading it since the OP. I see people bringing up concerns and potential issues with this next major milestone. That's part of testing.

I think everyone, including ACE, have been clear that they know there are serious balance problems with this ruleset and that they don't even think it will "work."

This is an experiment only it seems.

1 minute ago, coolwaters said:

I think everyone, including ACE, have been clear that they know there are serious balance problems with this ruleset and that they don't even think it will "work."

This test.

12 minutes ago, pang said:

Exactly.

I should mention again that this info drop is phenomenal.  I'm still giddy.

Part of the excitement for me is theorizing about potential issues and how to solve them.  It is always reassuring to me to learn that ACE is asking the same questions of themselves  before they present it to us.  This is why I love this team.  Let's keep the feedback flowing!

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

Just now, coolwaters said:

Yep but Why not? We as testers that have been at this game from the start have played many games testing this one. Some we will never see again others we will only see parts of in the true game when its released. This has been a truly great experience working with this game unfolding before our eyes. Even if I do get in a hurry for things  I am still loving every minute of the testing and trial and error that's going with it.

3 minutes ago, coolwaters said:

Saying it might not work isn't the same as saying it outright won't work. Only way to see if it works or not is to try it.  That's been ACEs design philosophy since day one. They restated it in this article again:

In Summary

To sum up: We have a LOT of stuff coming live very soon. As a reminder, it will probably be buggy and unbalanced – so if that really bothers you, you might want to wait until the dust has settled before jumping in to give it a try. Remember, when this version is ready, we’ll move to our “Test” environment first, for short-period testing, before moving it to our “Live” environment for longer periods.

We decided that we wanted to experiment with Crowfall, that our genre had become stale because developers weren’t taking any design risks.

This version starts to fulfill that promise.  We fully expect to see some crazy results (like Balance suddenly flipping teams in the middle of a siege).

We went to the trouble to architect a system that would give us a platform to try out crazy ideas.

Let’s try a few and see what happens!

Faction based CWs are one of the CW bands promised since the KS campaign along with the others. So no not really an experiment only. An Experiment on the details and mechanics of a faction based CW but not on whether a faction CW should be a thing or not.  

14 minutes ago, dolmar said:

Yep but Why not? We as testers that have been at this game from the start have played many games testing this one. Some we will never see again others we will only see parts of in the true game when its released. This has been a truly great experience working with this game unfolding before our eyes. Even if I do get in a hurry for things  I am still loving every minute of the testing and trial and error that's going with it.

I agree. Although I think there are some simple changes that would improve the ruleset I am nonetheless excited to play on a real CW, whether or not one of the factions has a massive and obvious advantage.

Edited by coolwaters

5 minutes ago, pang said:

Faction based CWs are one of the CW bands promised since the KS campaign along with the others. So no not really an experiment only. 

Argue with Todd man. Not me.

The factional part I do not believe is the experiment. The "tug-o-war" part, with a massive 1/3 slice to Balance, is the experiment.

1 minute ago, coolwaters said:

Argue with Todd man. Not me.

The factional part I do not believe is the experiment. The "tug-o-war" part, with a massive 1/3 slice to Balance, is the experiment.

Yeah that's exactly what I just said in the post you quoted...

Wasn't really "arguing " any point in particular. Was just saying that calling it "only an experiment" isn't quite accurate as we know faction based CWs will be a thing in live, but don't know how they will work yet. Hence the experimentation.

Besides still a bit confused how that point relates the other poster saying people are just complaining and me saying its not complaining but bringing up concerns and potential issues.

Hey, we have beeing without some interesting news for days so can we please keep the discussion going? Coming here just to to make snarky comments is really counter productive. Everyone is having fun here so keep the theorycraft going!

I'm just gonna enjoy the ride and munch some popcorn; it's a pretty unique take (AFAIK) on the 3-faction split, and it fits so perfectly into the lore of Chaos/Order/Balance. It's also really interesting to think about the possibilities and see all the ideas that people have come up with to play within this system. The ensuing sockstorm of egos on the forums is also gonna be hilarious - in fact it's already started! It's great to see how the promise of just a small amount of flesh on the framework elicits such a feverish response, and some previously quiet guilds have started bumping their threads again. No matter who wins the first Campaign, I'm pretty sure ACE will have won the war. We needed this bump; we finally have a reason and a way to truly "crush" each other... 

Thank you @thomasblair@jtoddcoleman@Tyrant and of course everyone else involved!

Edited by Xarrayne
more likes pls

:^)

2 hours ago, pang said:

Yeah that's exactly what I just said in the post you quoted...

Wasn't really "arguing " any point in particular. Was just saying that calling it "only an experiment" isn't quite accurate as we know faction based CWs will be a thing in live, but don't know how they will work yet. Hence the experimentation.

Besides still a bit confused how that point relates the other poster saying people are just complaining and me saying its not complaining but bringing up concerns and potential issues.

I'm not sure if you have access to all of the the forums. It doesn't sound like you do.

1 hour ago, Xarrayne said:

I'm just gonna enjoy the ride and munch some popcorn; it's a pretty unique take (AFAIK) on the 3-faction split, and it fits so perfectly into the lore of Chaos/Order/Balance. It's also really interesting to think about the possibilities and see all the ideas that people have come up with to play within this system. The ensuing sockstorm of egos on the forums is also gonna be hilarious - in fact it's already started! It's great to see how the promise of just a small amount of flesh on the framework has gotten the politics riled up, and some previously quiet guilds have started bumping their threads again. No matter who wins the first Campaign, I'm pretty sure ACE will have won the war. We needed this; thank you @thomasblair@jtoddcoleman@Tyrant and of course everyone else involved!

Don't worry, you haven't seen the real politics yet.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

53 minutes ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

Don't worry, you haven't seen the real politics yet.

Yeah politics was probably the wrong word in hindsight; I was trying to refer to interaction between guilds that had more substance than "me kill you for fun (and vice versa)", and potentially more impactful consequences to those interactions... I'm anticipating the ensuing politics, and eagerly at that!

Edited by Xarrayne

:^)

So excited! Sure, there are a bunch of questions on stuff we don't have all the info for yet, but this is a seriously big step.  There have been some comments about using alts to monitor chat and be left in locations to cap things when folks are not present, but this is a good chance to test all the stupid cheese you don't want to see in the real game as well.  Find stuff that you think could be game experience breaking and post it, so that it can be added to the Teams list of things to address.  Can't wait til I start having more time to play.

Yal have a good one!

I really do appreciate the sentiment behind this approach. It's also refreshing to see quite a few people here admit they have no intention of playing in this band. I for one probably will part time my guild in it to hedge our bets. Playing in two or three campaigns at once seems like a smart play. As it stands, it almost makes no sense to play anything but Balance with this concept as I see it. They are way too incentivized and protected from failure. 

My only issue with the system is the fact that the designers are enforcing allies in this. Remove that and I think the system will continue to function as intended. The idea that one faction can "switch sides" without notice is replicating what you might see in a more difficult band... I see no reason to introduce that concept on poor unsuspecting newbies with no clue. More than likely people are going to be sent to Gods Reach solely because it's "a great place to learn the ropes".

11 hours ago, scree said:

I really do appreciate the sentiment behind this approach. It's also refreshing to see quite a few people here admit they have no intention of playing in this band. I for one probably will part time my guild in it to hedge our bets. Playing in two or three campaigns at once seems like a smart play. As it stands, it almost makes no sense to play anything but Balance with this concept as I see it. They are way too incentivized and protected from failure. 

My only issue with the system is the fact that the designers are enforcing allies in this. Remove that and I think the system will continue to function as intended. The idea that one faction can "switch sides" without notice is replicating what you might see in a more difficult band... I see no reason to introduce that concept on poor unsuspecting newbies with no clue. More than likely people are going to be sent to Gods Reach solely because it's "a great place to learn the ropes".

I think the auto switching allies based on the score adds a fun and interesting dynamic. Like they said they want to try things and we as testers should be open to that as well, that even though we may not like a certain mechanic we should be able to recognize if it A, works or not and B adds to the gameplay in a meaningful way. Having played faction based PvP game's in the past I'm looking forward to trying ACEs vision of them.