Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

The First Campaign - Official discussion thread

3 minutes ago, BarriaKarl said:

I think balance wont have points. I think it will just help the other factions gain points. I like of think of balance as the faction that makes sure no ones wins and that for me also include balance itself. A result where balance wins by collecting most points doesnt seems balanced to me.

The question is, do they gain points from capturing a location, and then those points are forever the other teams while they hold the land, or do they flip whose side the points count for, based on all their assets.

If the case is they only contribute to points through conquest and not assets, I can see some rather interesting shenanigans where balance "lets" certain factions take out their outposts, rather than attacking the current enemy.

It will be interesting to see if they can pull the 3 faction See-Saw off.
Especially if they are actually able to make Balance switch sides regarding Friendly Fire, which is an interesting mechanic but not sure I agree with it.

I worry about it, maybe preferring a Triangle where any could win or no one (Hunger) could win.

I interpret the ruleset as such
On a spectrum from -45 to 45 from Chaos to Order|
Chaos will win if the end result is between -45 to -15
Balance will win if the result is between -15 to 15
Order will win if the result is between 15 to 45

Order taking objectives will + to the score
Chaos taking objectives will - from the score
Balance taking objectives will + or - from the score based on if the current score is - or +|

Whatever it is, looking forward to testing and seeing how this game goes

ScornofLife2.jpg

Just now, Scorn said:

It will be interesting to see if they can pull the 3 faction See-Saw off.
Especially if they are actually able to make Balance switch sides regarding Friendly Fire, which is an interesting mechanic but not sure I agree with it.

I worry about it, maybe preferring a Triangle where any could win or no one (Hunger) could win.

I interpret the ruleset as such
On a spectrum from -45 to 45 from Chaos to Order|
Chaos will win if the end result is between -45 to -15
Balance will win if the result is between -15 to 15
Order will win if the result is between 15 to 45

Order taking objectives will + to the score
Chaos taking objectives will - from the score
Balance taking objectives will + or - from the score based on if the current score is - or +|

Whatever it is, looking forward to testing and seeing how this game goes

The hunger always wins. The Order,Chaos dichotomy is about how to cope with it (Feed or Starve), not being on the side of it, or even defeating it.

39 minutes ago, Tinnis said:

whats stopping "someone" parking their alt accounts next to a fort claim statue to log in and ninja loot it for their faction, then logging out

whats stopping an alt account mule logging on to enemy faction and stealing all their shared faction chest resources?

Logging back in after ~5 minutes spawns you at either your faction's temple or a stronghold under their control nearest to where you logged out.

35 minutes ago, PaleOne said:

The big exploit you should be worried about is what if a guild puts bodies in all three factions to monitor faction chat, be an invulnerable scout and spread disinformation..

I wouldn't call this an exploit. I'm not inclined to accept information from account RandomGuyNotASpy, but you can if you'd like. :D

Hi, I'm moneda.

s1tKI24.png

Just now, moneda said:

Logging back in after ~5 minutes spawns you at either your faction's temple or a stronghold under their control nearest to where you logged out.

I wouldn't call this an exploit. I'm not inclined to accept information from account RandomGuyNotASpy, but you can if you'd like. :D

I'm more worried about invulnerable scouts. We experience that now in faction campaigns. I had a myrm from chaos following me around and pointing me out to there balance buddies....

www.lotd.org       pking and siege pvp since 1995

4 minutes ago, srathor said:

So you get on your alt spy account and murder the alt spy.

Easy Peasy.

Its sad that everyone will need an alt spy account for counter espionage...

Id rather have a guild system with subguilds/ alliances etc.

www.lotd.org       pking and siege pvp since 1995

Just now, PaleOne said:

Its sad that everyone will need an alt spy account for counter espionage...

Id rather have a guild system with subguilds/ alliances etc.

People will take the path of least resistance, regardless of any systems they implement.

If ALT's give you the best ability to spy, and they do because they are invulnerable to the enemy, that's exactly what players will do.

35 minutes ago, BarriaKarl said:

I think balance wont have points. I think it will just help the other factions gain points. I like of think of balance as the faction that makes sure no ones wins and that for me also include balance itself. A result where balance wins by collecting most points doesnt seems balanced to me.

I think of it more as the World's "Status". Let's call this a "Hunger Meter", with Order being closer to 0~33% Hunger and Chaos being 66~100% Hunger, and Balance being 33~66% Hunger. When Chaos gets a fort or keep, they add some percent to the Hunger Meter, thus bringing it closer to their threshold. When Order gets a fort/keep, they subtract percentages from the Hunger Meter. When Balance gets points, it adds or subtracts to the Hunger Meter depending on where it is (always towards 50%).

It's easier to conceptualize like this, since points with Balance make things a bit messy. So, if you start with 50%, you subtract the percent gotten by Order, add the amount gotten by Chaos, and use the remaining percentages from Balance to see if you can reach 0. The victory is decided by whose threshold the end precentage falls into.

Edited by Dondagora

10 minutes ago, PaleOne said:

I'm more worried about invulnerable scouts. We experience that now in faction campaigns. I had a myrm from chaos following me around and pointing me out to there balance buddies....

This will always be a problem in 3-faction campaigns. Happened in every RvRvR game I played. Only in those games "winning" wasn't very meaningful, so no one cared that much. Devs should plan victory conditions in these faction CWs already with the assumption that alts in opposing factions will try to take as much advantage out of the system as they can. In ESO for example you could farm their equivalent of victory points by having some alts in the opposing faction cap a POI and then retake it back from them and do that all day long. It seems at least this current tug war system will be impervious to this exploit. 

Good update,

Patiently waiting for your followup post on how you are going to adapt the stronghold siege system to this particular campaign.

Thanks ArtCraft for all the work that went into getting us here. Expect much feedback headed your way in this first iteration of a campaign.

40 minutes ago, moneda said:

Which would be a form of safe fast travel. Also bad.

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

The 3-faction scheme is innovative for keeping the match from running away in one direction, but I foresee a huge imbalance towards... balance.  Balance has all sorts of interesting social dynamics.  In comparison, Order/Chaos is bland.  Of course players are going to want to play Balance! Speaking in terms of self-selecting population, I bet we have 10% - 80% - 10% (O - B - C)

Also, mathematically speaking, if the score slider stays in even thirds, Balance is much more likely to win than either extreme.  Winning as Order or Chaos involves one faction successfully conquering two factions.  This can be solved!  The middle third on the score slider will need to be made a LOT more narrow for Balance to ever not win.

Broken:  [ OOOOOO  BBBBBB  CCCCCC ]

Fixed:  [ OOOOOOOO  BB  CCCCCCCC ]

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

3 minutes ago, moneda said:

Whether or not 5 mins (or more) is "fast" is an unknown.

i mean:

your harvester farms his epic node at location X. he logs out, goes makes some tea and scones and Y time later he is safely teleported to Z safe faction town location without having to risk his resources etc.

See the issue?

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

1 minute ago, Tinnis said:

i mean: your harvester farms his epic node at location X. he logs out, goes makes some tea and scones and Y time later he is safely teleported to Z safe faction town location without having to risk his resources etc.

See the issue?

Well, I still think logging out should be the same as dying, without the durability hit.  You log back in as a crow at a temple, with all your stuff still sitting wherever you logged out.

That's an old discussion, though, in a much different thread. ;P

Just now, moneda said:

This activity is not safe.

Safer than they plan on making it with pack animals and slow travel.

No free TP's linked to logout/login mechanics.

Frankly I'm curious to see these new POI's in operation, and what types/quantities of materials they dump out.  Plenty of speculation out there, myself included, on how this will affect the harvesting balance.

1 hour ago, srathor said:

Bag space, the fact that you can only bank 10 things. Them killing you and taking it back. 

That's not how I read the update.  We should have the same personal inventory carrying capacity that we do now in the campaigns, and we should have the same size bank space.  The difference is that we will only be able to transfer 10 items from our "Spirit Bank" to our inventory. 

lUvvzPy.png