Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

The First Campaign - Official discussion thread

14 minutes ago, coolwaters said:

I can't imagine anyone is surprised.

"Here testers, a brand new shiny win condition! Go have fun!"

"Oh, p.s., it's not about winning."

Right. That aircraft will have the flight characteristics of an empty gin bottle. Have you met the sociopaths around here? :P

What about Jameson bottle or Glenlivet ?

Just now, coolwaters said:

Just something one of my old instructors would say to describe the flight characteristics of a harrier Jump Jet.

LoL just not a Gin fan .Never liked the test of pine trees

in terms of world map design:

will worlds always be generated as generally squares/rectangles?

or will you have 'branching island' sections with natural bottlenecks?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vs

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!   !!!!!!!
!!!!!!       !!!     !!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     !!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     !!!!
!!!!!!     !!!
!!!!!!     !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

BIG QUESTION:

What happens if:

Order controls 33%, Chaos controls 33%, Balance controls 33% -------> Balance wins??  (because of no clear winner between ORDER and CHAOS )

Order controls 50%, Chaos controls 50%, Balance controls 0% ---------> Balance wins?? (because of no clear winner between ORDER and CHAOS )

Seems very unbalanced from my point of view....... ( if my assumptions are right^^)

One Ring to Rule them all, One Ring to Find them, One Ring to bring them all an in the darkness and bind them.

Victory Conditions

• CHAOS wins by ending the game with as many strongholds as possible.
  • ORDER wins by ending the game with as many strongholds as possible.
  • BALANCE wins by ensuring there is no clear winner between ORDER and CHAOS.

To facilitate this idea (that Balance constantly shifts alliances), we set it up such that when one side takes the lead, BALANCE is automatically considered an “ally” to the losing faction in terms of both targeting and friendly fire.

Seems to me that suggests that Balance never actual holds their own forts or keeps. With the sifting alliances they will either be claiming for Order or Chaos. Based on the "score" graphic as well looks there will a range that is considered to be a balance. So for example if caps are 50-50 Balance wins, 60-40, Balance wins, etc but once you get to like 70-30 the holder of 70 wins Order or Chaos.

Like said in the article this makes for some very interesting gameplay as mid way through a siege Balance players could shift to the other side based on a different siege that changes the scrore on the other side of the map, so will have to pay attention to the score and act accordingly.

Edited by pang

8 minutes ago, pang said:

Seems to me that suggests that Balance never actual holds their own forts or keeps

I initially read it this way too.....but balance would still need to have forts/keeps to respawn, hold supplies and their crafting stations....so I now doubt it.

Personally, I think the tug-o-war mechanic is, potentially, great.  It's innovative and seems like it could create a lot of interesting situations.  Sure, there could be some flaws with it, but I'd like to think that it might work out because, at least to my mind,  it creates a niche for the some ideas I've had (and certainly others) about a certain type of group playstyle

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

15 minutes ago, pang said:

Seems to me that suggests that Balance never actual holds their own forts or keeps.

Except they talk about Balance winning and losing territory.

As factions gain and lose territory (i.e. gain and lose forts and keeps), that slider will move to the left and right.

• When CHAOS captures a stronghold, it moves to the left.
  • When ORDER claims one, it moves to the right.
  • When BALANCE wins or loses, the slider can move in either direction, depending on which faction captured it.

•  

IhhQKY6.gif

4 minutes ago, Tinnis said:

I initially read it this way too.....but balance would still need to have forts/keeps to respawn, hold supplies and their crafting stations....so I now doubt it.

Well those things would be based on their current alliance. If the shift is towards Order they use Orders keeps and forts to spawn, storage crafting etc and the same when allied with Chaos.

1 minute ago, Jah said:

Except they talk about Balance winning and losing territory.

•  

Yes they gain and lose territory based on their current alliance.

It just makes sense to me that the way I see it, otherwise I think winning as Balance would be a lot easier than as Chaos or order. You can either hold none or all and still win? Yeah doesn't make sense to me.

2 minutes ago, pang said:

Well those things would be based on their current alliance. If the shift is towards Order they use Orders keeps and forts to spawn, storage crafting etc and the same when allied with Chaos.

The article only says they are "allies" in terms of targeting and friendly fire. I think it is unlikely they will switch where the spawn.

To facilitate this idea (that Balance constantly shifts alliances), we set it up such that when one side takes the lead, BALANCE is automatically considered an “ally” to the losing faction in terms of both targeting and friendly fire.

IhhQKY6.gif

7 minutes ago, pang said:

and what happens when balance is 'winning' and chaos and order hold an equal number of fort/keeps? no respawning or crafting for balance? do you want to have to craft something in the middle of a chaos town and then the factions switch part way through your craft? [hah!}

14 minutes ago, Tinnis said:

I think forts controlled by balance shouldnt count. Just consider them as unclaimed, the only side that can reclaim them shoud be a enemy of balance.

That would create some good situations where balance can somehow betray their allies by claiming a keep the other faction had his sight set on. It would also make everyone wary of balance. Could limit balance keeps to some small number cap to avoid balance hogging all keeps.

^ Would need to see how claiming ownership works, since "press F at the statue" is pretty vague.

This is a lot of speculation l don't think we will see this for a few weeks at best. "hope they prove me wrong" We have a lot of announcements on how things are going to be but, It still takes awhile to actually see it come to fruition .

10 minutes ago, Tinnis said:

and what happens when balance is 'winning' and chaos and order hold an equal number of fort/keeps? no respawning or crafting for balance? do you want to have to craft something in the middle of a chaos town and then the factions switch part way through your craft? [hah!}

Like I said in my post the score is based on a range. So Balance would always be allied with either Chaos or Order. So even when Balance is winning based on the score between Chaos or Order, Balance is still allied with one of them. They will always have keeps and forts to use.

20 minutes ago, Jah said:

The article only says they are "allies" in terms of targeting and friendly fire. I think it is unlikely they will switch where the spawn.

Why not? Order and Chaos spawns will be switching all the time as well when keeps and forts get claimed/lost.