Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Character creation overhaul - Official discussion thread

17 minutes ago, Helix said:

Welcome to the last year and a half or so. What do you think we've been talking about? All your customization revolves around vessels and crafting, and yea, I think it will be a problem eventually. Temporary worlds was the original pitch, temporary everything tho is severely pushing it.

Welcome to this year, when I was one of the first to share these concerns in the first place and they are still heading in a questionable direction that isn't really alleviating such concerns. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Man, i seriously thought ADV/DIS wasnt a thing anymore. Really good surprise!

44 minutes ago, Frykka said:

It also allows the standard human race choice as getting more Advantage points in its initial build at the cost of giving up other strong racial passives.  Humans are more generic but get more starting characteristic choices...

To be fair the humans racial disc seems way better when compared with the half-elf (or was it wood-elf?) and the recently show nethari. Of course we would need to see how much the basic stats (str, int, dex...) influence the other stats but i think that extra passive and to a lesser degree the extra bar slots are pretty good. Not to mention that the negative passive damage multiplier is probably offsetted by the "candle that burns" power.

I dont think humans should be getting any extra stuff right now, i would give them just an extra +5. I dont think humans are as weak as they are in other games.

BTW i will probably go with human ranger, and up to now i am really satisfied with what humans race provide.

^ Of course this is all speculation since we still need more info but i couldnt help myself.

Hmmm... Those images arent really well positioned. The first 2 are okay. The other ones seem like they are one step ahead of the text. The image of of how customizing looks should come after talking about customizing and the same for the Adv/Dis image.

1 hour ago, Helix said:

Welcome to the last year and a half or so. What do you think we've been talking about? All your customization revolves around vessels and crafting, and yea, I think it will be a problem eventually. Temporary worlds was the original pitch, temporary everything tho is severely pushing it.

I see what you mean.  Vessels can leave the temporary worlds though, right?  Or are your vessels destroyed at the end of a campaign?  If they are destroyed each time, that's going to suck having an awesomely crafted vessel with your ideal stats etc., and then just have to restart from scratch with each world.  As you said, temporary worlds was the pitch.  If you get to leave the campaign at the end with your (at least the one you're currently inhabiting) vessel in tact, I wouldn't mind as much. 

Perhaps vessels are just tied to import/export mechanics though.  So, at the beginning of a campaign, you could have already had your crafter make you an uber vessel to start with.  At the end, you can export it?  No clue.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

3 minutes ago, mourne said:

I see what you mean.  Vessels can leave the temporary worlds though, right?  Or are your vessels destroyed at the end of a campaign?  If they are destroyed each time, that's going to suck having an awesomely crafted vessel with your ideal stats etc., and then just have to restart from scratch with each world.  As you said, temporary worlds was the pitch.  If you get to leave the campaign at the end with your (at least the one you're currently inhabiting) vessel in tact, I wouldn't mind as much. 

Perhaps vessels are just tied to import/export mechanics though.  So, at the beginning of a campaign, you could have already had your crafter make you an uber vessel to start with.  At the end, you can export it?  No clue.

i remember someone saying that vessels woul stay (i think it was in a Q&A actually?) but dont quote me on that

6XZoThV.jpg

6 minutes ago, elvo said:

i remember someone saying that vessels woul stay (i think it was in a Q&A actually?) but dont quote me on that

Vessels will become inventory objects. I made a few before last spirit bank wipe

www.lotd.org       pking and siege pvp since 1995

39 minutes ago, BarriaKarl said:

To be fair the humans racial disc seems way better when compared with the half-elf (or was it wood-elf?) and the recently show nethari. Of course we would need to see how much the basic stats (str, int, dex...) influence the other stats but i think that extra passive and to a lesser degree the extra bar slots are pretty good. Not to mention that the negative passive damage multiplier is probably offsetted by the "candle that burns" power.

nLo0TfU.png

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

56 minutes ago, mourne said:

Vessels decay like everything else. I'd imagine that the vessel you come into the campaign world with is likely NOT to be the one you leave with. They haven't really talked about if vessels will factor into import/export either. Losing a vessel  with all your disciplines, gear, advantages/disadvantages attached to it is bad enough; imagine having to repeat the process of farming for all that stuff over and over again. That's not considering rule sets which might also have vessel drop on death. It's potentially an insane grind. Imagine if you had to level your character up in BDO over and over again every 1-3 months (however long a campaign works), grind for all the equipment, etc. The first or second time might be alright, but I'd think there would be insane fatigue after awhile.

I'm very interested to see if players will burn out on the harvesting / crafting grind. Everyone has to essentially participate in it, cause it's hard to believe there are loads of people out there that are willing to do all your work for you (harvesting mats, crafting gear) and freely give away their spoils with a smile.

Edited by Helix

4 minutes ago, Helix said:

Vessels decay like everything else. I'd imagine that the vessel you come into the campaign world with is likely NOT to be the one you leave with. They haven't really talked about if vessels will factor into import/export either. Losing a vessel (with at all possible) with all your disciplines, gear, advantages/disadvantages attached to it is bad enough, imagine having to repeat the process of farming for all that stuff over and over again. That's potentially an insane grind. Imagine if you had to grind your character up again in BDO over and over again every 1-3 months (however long a campaign works), grind for all the equipment, etc. The first or second time might be alright, but I'd imagine there would be insane fatigue after awhile.

I'm very interested to see if players will burn out on the harvesting / crafting grind. Everyone has to essentially participate in it.

Well if they decay maybe they could be repaired and maintained? I mean if you finally get into a really good one there should be a way to be able to keep it, with costs of course.

3 minutes ago, pang said:

Well if they decay maybe they could be repaired and maintained? I mean if you finally get into a really good one there should be a way to be able to keep it, with costs of course.

You can keep it, I think, with maintenance.  However, import rules will restrict which CW you can participate in with that Vessel. 

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

50 minutes ago, Tinnis said:

nLo0TfU.png

See?

Humans: 50 Stat points, + Power Bar slot and + Passive slot.

Wood-Elf: 55 Stat points.

Nethari: 30 Stat points.

Powers wise the humans draw the short end of the stick but overall for me humans still comes on top. I mean, it is highly probable you will have to give up some useful power to equip those ones (or waste a passive to expand the power bar) or just ignore them all together.

58 minutes ago, BarriaKarl said:

See?

Humans: 50 Stat points, + Power Bar slot and + Passive slot.

Wood-Elf: 55 Stat points.

Nethari: 30 Stat points.

Powers wise the humans draw the short end of the stick but overall for me humans still comes on top. I mean, it is highly probable you will have to give up some useful power to equip those ones (or waste a passive to expand the power bar) or just ignore them all together.

Advantage or not depends on the role you are going to play and the overall team-Setup(s) of the guild you are in. You have to have the right mix for a given situation. There is not simply "the" build, "the" class or "the" race out there.

4 hours ago, Zybak said:

I see that the High-Elf race isn't greyed out. 

INTENSE SPECULATION INCOMING!

What Archetypes can be High-Elves, they're probably using one of the AT models for High-Elves

Or ACE's modelers work like lightning O.o

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

45 minutes ago, Askari said:

Advantage or not depends on the role you are going to play and the overall team-Setup(s) of the guild you are in. You have to have the right mix for a given situation. There is not simply "the" build, "the" class or "the" race out there.

I agree. I just think that people that are expecting humans to receive extra points in the ADV/DIS system because humans are weaker are understimating the stuff humans receive as racial.

Quick question: for those of us who give zero NANNY FILTERs what we look like since vessels are just disposable resources, will there be a [Random] button after race and class are selected?

EDIT: Nevermind.  Just saw the randomize button in the screenshots.  :)

Edited by sidney

The assassin was revealed before all the race class stuff right? So is the assassin just gonna be put off until the Race+Class stuff is put in or will we see a early release of the assassin archetype like the other archetypes have currently until the race class stuff comes up?

18 minutes ago, ShadowwBoi13 said:

The assassin was revealed before all the race class stuff right? So is the assassin just gonna be put off until the Race+Class stuff is put in or will we see a early release of the assassin archetype like the other archetypes have currently until the race class stuff comes up?

Think they said in the Race/Class livestream that assassin was pushed back because of the split and because of discs. We'll prolly see race/class split -> Cleric -> Assassin.

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

8 hours ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

All these customization options tied to the vessel are a double edged sword imo.  But it's still exciting to see the game taking steps forward.

Like vessels or not, this helps even the playing field for a player wanting to play a specific role. This way that player can have many options to make that role effective against the challenge expected.

So no one needs to buy multiple accounts to be very good at one perceived role.

8 hours ago, Jah said:

I see Assassin and Frostweaver listed as "coming soon" on the Human. That looks like an expansion of the options for Humans.

Maybe.

And that would be good. Many players are turned-off by the idea of playing a inhuman character, so most Devs make human the "adaptable" race.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)