Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Thubub

Instant 6mo/1yr skills please.

I would like to test a variety of progressions.  I would like to see what a dedicated crafter and harvester look like.  I would like to check out balanced vs. offense vs. defense builds.  I would like to compare a stat build vs a raw progression via skills like attack power.  Could we get a 6mo/1year option that we could clear out in order to test the various options?  Anyone else want to check this out?

Well it doesn't have to be now obviously, I just hope at some point they have plans for accelerated progression.  Mainly I would like to be able to wipe my progress and switch out to a different progression without having to wait months to see what it looks like.

5 hours ago, coolwaters said:

There's going to be a skill overhaul as I recall.

Pointless to test these skills in depth now most likely.

Pointless is a strong word.  I would hope they are using the information gathered to help determine the direction of the overhaul.  In regards to the OP's request @coolwaters is correct.  I know the skill time mitigation/quicken request has been posted for when they separate the test and play servers but I would think that they have greater priorities than finding a way to do this (if they haven't already).

@Thubub while I can appreciate and would like the same as your request I would have to say "No" as previewing the progression of the game is not the point of testing.  The Dev's understanding the value, mechanics and viability throughout the game is.  If they have enough feedback then I do not believe they should offer testing boosts, especially if the purpose of it gives the appearance of metagaming.

Edited by Mr.Kurtz

33 minutes ago, zolaz said:

How is testing the best possible progression for a character build metagaming?

Yeah it sucks not taking the best possible route initially.

The current game design makes me believe that a preview is outside knowledge that would give them a greater advantage which is completely metagaming.

Please note:  If that is not the Dev's intent with the current design then I would also love the opportunity to test all of the variants for the best build progression.

Edited by Mr.Kurtz

I am more thinking about the various differences in builds and looking at what differences in harvester builds and crafting builds look like.  For example, what does a progression in blacksmithing look like vs leatherworking vs woodworking vs runes in crafting.  Also, what does a build focused on stat development look like vs. armor skills progression.  Also, I would like to try out all the various crafting lines just to see what those look like.  I also want to check out every class and look at what various builds look like there as well.  I am also curious as to what effect all this passive experience will have vs. in-game items/vessels.  I think it would be cool to look at a wiped character with a variety of armor/skill/vessel combinations and see how they stack up to a naked character at 6mo/1 year progressions.   I think it would be interesting to do a test cycle where you wipe all skill progression and give everyone 6 months of skill time to put where they want.  Then another week do 1 year progression the same way. 

As soon as the game gets ready for launch there will be a multitude of theorycrafting web sites that will guide newbies through "optimal" progressions.  So I don't know how much different it is from being a tester where you learn all the various mechanics of the game a year/years in advance to knowing "the meta" in skill progression.  Anyway, I just want to be able to try out as much as possible.

@Thubub I would love the same but there is a difference between theorycrafting and meta and while newer players will have the advantage of not making the same mistakes they will also have to wait to access the same content.  I also share the desire to view the same progressions but I think that the lack of availability to test out different builds in advance promotes the "group" mentality that is required to be successful in the game.  

I like the idea of optimizing but I like the idea of consequenced decision making better. Either way it is a good question and again while I'd like the experience I would have to vote against it based on my hopes for the game.

Edited by Mr.Kurtz

The current skill trees aren't all that hard to figure out. The difference between training in blacksmithing as opposed to training in leatherworking, woodworking or runemaking is that you'd be good at blacksmithing rather than those other 3. All of the recipes are available for each profession currently (won't be the case later), so there's no mystery there.

The combat skills are pretty much all just added stats. Again, no great mystery as to what they do. While I wouldn't say no to the ability to train faster, I don't see it as a need for testing purposes. Maybe once they redo the skills, but not in their current form.

11 hours ago, Thubub said:

I would like to test a variety of progressions.  I would like to see what a dedicated crafter and harvester look like.  I would like to check out balanced vs. offense vs. defense builds.  I would like to compare a stat build vs a raw progression via skills like attack power.  Could we get a 6mo/1year option that we could clear out in order to test the various options?  Anyone else want to check this out?

I realize this is pre-alpha (for $70 dollars, please tell me it includes the game on release), but I have to agree with you.  Just one skill tree in Exploration would take over 2 months to complete.  Who wouldn't have quit from boredom by that point?  Hell some of the campaigns wouldn't last that long.  People want to improve their character in pretty much every game out there, this not only doesn't let you improve as you play but the offline accumulation is at a snails pace.

That being said, it's pre-alpha.  They haven't dialed in anything at this point so why try to test a progression after a 6mo/1year.  It would only result in complaint threads that really aren't founded on anything.

13 hours ago, coolwaters said:

There's going to be a skill overhaul as I recall.

Pointless to test these skills in depth now most likely.

on the other hand ACE will be unable to gather lots of data for deep-progressed skill trees, which hinders them in "balancing" the new skills

6XZoThV.jpg

I mean, it only hinders balance testing (which ACE isn't concerned with atm)  if the skills are going to stay the way they are. As the skills are not going to stay the way they are I don't see an issue.

However, you'll be right after the skill overhaul, maybe. Unless they just change the nodes and retain the level of training somehow.

4 hours ago, coolwaters said:

I mean, it only hinders balance testing (which ACE isn't concerned with atm)  if the skills are going to stay the way they are. As the skills are not going to stay the way they are I don't see an issue.

However, you'll be right after the skill overhaul, maybe. Unless they just change the nodes and retain the level of training somehow.

im certain that they will re-use alot of things, and alot of those things will not have been tested by then

6XZoThV.jpg