Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andius

Single Death Campaigns

I'm usually not a fan of the idea of permadeath in an MMO but in the context of this game it sounds straight up exciting! A campaign you are kicked out of if you die but you keep the rewards and XP you earn before dying gives all the excitement of permadeath without all the rage inducement.

Would you try a single death campaign? What features might make one more or less enjoyable for you?

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

I think with the right conditions they may be very fast campaigns but they could also be very fun.

I think the key may be some kind of entry condition so people don't just make throw away accounts to screw with the campaign. Perhaps they may require paying a portion of your EK loot horde to join with a chance of winning it back with interest if you perform well.

Edited by Andius

I'll go to a post I made previously:

What I like about the campaigns and rule sets and how they can change so much, means we could see a huge variety of campaigns. While I like the current campaigns they have showed us, and how I believe they need to be lengthy, the system they claim to be making could offer some fun/interesting campaigns to play.

Things like:

"1 week blitz campaign" - FFA Quadruple resource gains/crafting speed + perma death (obviously tweaking import/export rules)

"5 day no armor only weapons"

"1 day specific class only" - see who's the best at whatever class

I think a perma death campaign could be a lot of fun. These smaller campaigns could be 'in between' larger ones, to break up game play and offer something new/fresh before starting another 1 year long campaign. I think they could really do some awesome things.

absolutely pointless imo, unless for a Battle Royale event...

people will be bored of those after the 3rd time and are not gonna bother with it again.

wasted effort if you ask me.

I don't agree that it would be pointless. Single death campaigns could be a ton of fun.

Edited by Zeonx

My picture of a single death campaign is a lot like The Hunger Games. Early on you are going to have everyone slaughtering eachother and A LOT of people will get eliminated but fairly quickly people are going to form up into teams and start working together. The longer you go the more you will see only sly/deadly players left in the running.

Even if you are part of the biggest strongest team people are going to be waiting in the shadows to pick you off the moment you let your guard down.

Permadeath campaign could be cool, but only, if they allow died ppl. to join another campaign after they died (not rejoin to the same), and not have to wait the end of the campaign. I don't really want to wait 8 months to play again, because I was sent to the wrong vally by my GM.

OIW34IY.png

MA topics for recruitment.

A "battle royale" concept would have to be really kept in check though, and be no greater than 30 minutes to an hour.  What happens if a player wants to log out?  They lose automatically?  What happens if you have THAT guy that just hides the entire campaign causing it to not end?  What if you have folks joining mid-royale, and keep joining extending it out?

If anything to me I do not think it could be a permanent campaign fixture, and would have to be something like typical PVP "battlegrounds" that we see in most MMO's today.  Folks queue up, 16 are placed into a small map, and fight it out to the death.

[@--(o.O)@]

Could just add some kind of rule where you need X kills to be considered a win to not have hiding or logging out as valid concerns.

edit* had wrong post on this thread.

Edited by zyerne

The only way I see permadeath campaings going through the game is by beeing 1 weekend long.

To enter in the campaign you have to register before it starts, you can log in and out, but you can't register once the campaign started.

Then, it start and good luck, you have 2 days to be the custard king of that world.

If they make this kind of campaigns like that, like if those campaigns were special events every month, like, every last weekend of every month there will be a permadeath campaign where the reward is pretty sweet.

I see that beeing a thing, maybe even shorter but not longer.

(Just an idea i voiced in the older perma death thread.)

I'd like to see a Highlander type world as well.

I'd probably just make the win condition something that just 'living' wouldn't help with. Like you only get the win condition if you manage to kill 10 other people, on the 10th kill you've won and can export at that kill or every successful kill after that (so people could stay if they want). At that point just hiding does you no good, everyone would be looking and requiring kills for fights to go for a win. A lose condition would just be dying and you'd export with a percentage of your stuff.

Doesn't require it to be some kind of battle arena or anything, can be a relatively large and normal map with people entering late and everything. Since the win condition is something that anyone can meet at any time (minus running out of people to kill), you don't need to mess with the world longevity or anything.

There would likely be small groups of people forming and as long as friendly fire is on, you'd keep the groups from getting large for fear of killing themselves or being backstabbed. But they could likely get large enough to take POI's on the map.

I mean imagine a group taking a mining POI or the like and then during the fight, one backstabs the rest after victory is assured and is now getting all these resources from the mine alone on what is likely a high tier resource world.

Hiding and or not playing much on the world wouldn't help you as you'd just never reach the 10 kill mark to get a win condition and you'd never die, so never even get to export with a loss.

They'd probably want to progress the world based on active population and combat. So if too many have died to where people are split apart, the world would progress until the server ended. I'd probably say anyone alive at the end also get a lose condition so the only way to get a win is to have fought and won in combat. Though you obviously don't want to JUST fight and win in combat, you have to try and do the PvE and resource gathering bit so you actually have some of these rare and high tier resources to take back with you.

Edited by zyerne

I like my idea. FFA full loot perma death campaign (extremely sort duration, hours if not a single day). When you load in you get a target to kill, they have you as the target as well, and your location is shown on their map and their location is shown on your map. You get extra points for killing your target, and you are assigned a new one if your target gets killed. You can kill anyone, not just your target. Perhaps to combat if you randomly get your friend, targets change every 30 minutes or something.

Edited by WonderBread

I'm usually not a fan of the idea of permadeath in an MMO but in the context of this game it sounds straight up exciting! A campaign you are kicked out of if you die but you keep the rewards and XP you earn before dying gives all the excitement of permadeath without all the rage inducement.

Would you try a single death campaign? What features might make one more or less enjoyable for you?

I think a battle royale type campaign is something worth testing out. The biggest challenge is that the devs have already stated that classes aren't intended to be balanced for every situation. In a world ruleset of this type, some archetypes could potentially be at a disadvantage. On that same note, I suppose there's no reason the world rules need to be perfectly balanced for each archetype. It's likely that some will always favor certain archetypes. 

In my opinion there are two core features needed to make a permadeath campaign work.

#1. The victory condition has to be based on an objectives that need to be pushed/defended

A simple "last man standing" will either have people poop-socking or logging on at the end. Neither of which is a desirable outcome.

#2. Gathering resources and building things needs to be a huge deal.

If survival is not having to be balanced with this objective very well it would be a great strategy to have your team either not make characters or make them / stay offline until the competition is narrowed down considerably. However if it's important to get in quickly and build up the gear that will put you ahead of the competition then the team that does this will probably end up being slaughtered by players in magical armor while they cling to stick spears.

The beauty about the campaign set up is that they're free to experiment until they get the right blend.

My guess is that the first campaign they make with perma-death will be a month long one, which appears to be the minimum. They'll probably want to test the waters before trying anything longer. Being excluded from a long term campaign might be more aggravating for some.

Personally, I'd definitely try it!

Doesn't make any sense unless the world resets every 1-14 days. And even then, it's still just kind of a novelty, though I suppose it could be fun.

So most of you are saying Permadeath campaigns would work best in a short-lived, Dregs rules world?

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)