Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zeonx

Stealth Confirmed. Discuss Now.

Or that you have to actually take stealthy action for stealth to work.

"I can see you."

"No, I'm stealthed."

"You're standing in the middle of the street."

"But I'm crouching... stealthily."

Lmao

Community Moderator - http://killonsight.info/

The Dark Forest beckons...

Maybe she just got hit by an enemy and her stealth timer is down, so she needs to "hide" until it pops back up again. And she's conferring with her ally to make the moves on the Hunger? She needs him to tank them while she hits them from the back with her sharp pointy daggers?

/sigh.

Coming from a guy that loves stealth, and probably would play using it if it was in, I'd vote for no stealth, use the cover around you for stealth. No floating names + good cover = stealth.

I would very much rather see this instead of the typical stealth I.E. go invisible for x time or until ability use.

I am confused. She is hiding... which is the main criteria of being stealthed. If you expected an in-game ability that renders you invisible, I certainly hope that doesn't exist (short of some very rare magic spell). I hope stealth in general requires you to be skillfully aware of your surroundings and manually hide. As long as they don't include obvious nametags over everyone's heads, it could work quite well. 

Perhaps the stealth class could have an ability to move without sound, or reduced sound? 

Edited by unknownxv

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.

- Nietzsche

Stealth should primarily remove you from tracking/scouting features as well as possibly removing any UI that might appear near unstealthed characters. 

A normal character may have a name floating over their head, a stealth character won't. A normal character will show up when a player uses track and display how far/which direction they are from the tracker. A stealth player won't. 

Invisibility and Stealth are not the same thing.

For those taking the huge stretch that because the Assassin in an art concept is using a "Hiding" technique that means there is no invis I got this vid right here that shows one character a scout hiding in the bushes spying on the enemy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kJOH0kToNg

However that was just concept animation not game mechanics since in game that scout went invisible...and so did the mage shown later on and the Assassin after that.

The art is here as a concept just so you can what she looks like and what her role is, not any of the game mechanics of how she goes about it.

Edited by gauis

Maybe shes got stealth like a stealth bomber? She can glide silently. Stealth in full loot can get obnoxious. Groups of rogues will camp around with stealth and gank. Zzz.

If its FFA PvP, expect danger around every corner.

P.S Full loot is unconfirmed, and you know, the only unconfirmed form of player looting.

I'm really hoping there isn't stealth, but I don't think a concept image is proof enough that there isn't.

I'd much rather people have to use the enviornment, or have stealth be something that isn't "pop invis" but rather something like using foilage/hiding in tree tops to set up ambushes, etc.

(They don't even have to let you actually "climb" into a tree a la Assassin's creed style rather just let those classes click on a tree and then "hide" an dit puts them into it and then they can sit there and have an AOE-range around the tree where they can "jump/attack" to (This would make it much much easier to develop on the devs).

Imagine actually having to do this, you have a scout who reports a large caravan carrying goods is coming through the forest road, so you set up a few characters to hide in the tree tops overlookin ithe road and then when the caravan is close enough you all jump out onto the top of it and attackl

To me that is FAR more exciting then "stealth, walk up behind, backstab backstab backstab."

Analysis of relevant evidence -> Drawing conclusions.

Analysis of a single piece of concept art to draw conclusions about gameplay mechanics -> Wildy stretching the concept of evidence to the point I could make spaghetti with it.

You realize they said concept art will depict things in game? Next time you try to sound smart, don't make such a clear error. k thanks bye.

If you don't believe me read this http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/642-011315-city-siege-concept/

Edited by Zeonx

I'm really hoping there isn't stealth, but I don't think a concept image is proof enough that there isn't.

I'd much rather people have to use the enviornment, or have stealth be something that isn't "pop invis" but rather something like using foilage/hiding in tree tops to set up ambushes, etc.

(They don't even have to let you actually "climb" into a tree a la Assassin's creed style rather just let those classes click on a tree and then "hide" an dit puts them into it and then they can sit there and have an AOE-range around the tree where they can "jump/attack" to (This would make it much much easier to develop on the devs).

Imagine actually having to do this, you have a scout who reports a large caravan carrying goods is coming through the forest road, so you set up a few characters to hide in the tree tops overlookin ithe road and then when the caravan is close enough you all jump out onto the top of it and attackl

To me that is FAR more exciting then "stealth, walk up behind, backstab backstab backstab."

I agree 100%, both for the stealthing party and the person being backstabbed. It gets boring, and easy to predict with the invis ability, not the mention the actual stealth class usually takes a serious stats hit as far has health and defense are concerned. The stealth class becomes like a golden gun, hopeful you hit and get your kill, but more often than not your dead afterwords. With a  non invis stealth class, you could actually possibly have a stealth toon that could actually be useful in the long run

If its FFA PvP, expect danger around every corner.

P.S Full loot is unconfirmed, and you know, the only unconfirmed form of player looting.

I can look around corners for Danger at least, like literally, its a third person game.

The biggest problem with having to use the environment for stealth is that it never works properly.      You work at it to crouch down in that tall grass (because adding prone states is too hard for so many engines apparently) so that you are totally invisible.    However the party you were trying to ambush walks straight up to you and smacks you.  Why?  Because he turned off the long grass in his graphics settings.   Same thing with finding a nice dark area with shadows to blend in.  Opps one graphic settings change and no more shadows.  Or heaven forbid the name tags you cant get rid of, ect. 

I'm all for realistic sneaking and hiding in bushes/shadows.   I really liked the thief games.  However in an MMO (or even an fps),  this type of stealth simply doesn't work because unless there are no graphics options, what you see isn't what the other guy does.   As long as people have the option to make the game look like a royal POS to get any sort of gameplay advantage, they will.

If they want stealth in the game, it has to be "magic" stealth or it is really not worth it.

Note:  I'm not saying that the only reason to adjust graphics settings is for an advange,  just that people will do it for one if its possible.

Edited by quavis