• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
giambra

Open & Tactical VS Instantiate & Action

97 members have voted

1. 1. What world & fighting system?

• open & tactical (classic WOW)
    • instantiate & action (Unreal Tournament)

Good day and sorry for my poor english.

Playing games around i found that action-oriented games (with free targeting, cool projectile physics, dodging...) have to be instantiated, since they really need a great amount of data through the net.
IMHO we still don't have the technology to make a nice action-oriented game wich is also open world.
So, even before deciding about the fighting system, we should ask ourselves: since there is no real option (as far as i know!!!) to make a cool action game in an open world, what should we choose instead?

Whole open, non-instanced world. Tab-targetting is nice (It's the best choice for MMOs, it is really lag-friendly.), the wrong thing about WoW's combat is the consistent smashing buttons, without thinking of mana costs or tactical combinations.

5roh8Km.png

Whetever but don't go with tab targeting combat, there is no skill in a systema like this, you can't evade attacks when you are locked and the fact that yout hit is RNG based. I don't want RNG is a skillfull mmorpg or a smashing of skills made with a macro.

Go with a true fps combat where positioning and tactics really matter and you have to use the brain.

Make one big server located in the uk where europe and us can play at decent ping, don't regionalize and split the community, if is not possible i can accept 1 big us server, 1 big europe server and 1 asian as a compromise but not more.

Archduchess Alice

Whetever but don't go with tab targeting combat, there is no skill in a systema like this, you can't evade attacks when you are locked and the fact that yout hit is RNG based. I don't want RNG is a skillfull mmorpg or a smashing of skills made with a macro.

Go with a true fps combat where positioning and tactics really matter and you have to use the brain.

Make one big server located in the uk where europe and us can play at decent ping, don't regionalize and split the community, if is not possible i can accept 1 big us server, 1 big europe server and 1 asian as a compromise but not more.

The thing with with FPS in massive open-world enviroments is the lag. I think they can make a good evade system even with Tab-targetting, a la GW2... Even the fact that your target is just for certain actions/skills but if you cast a skill out of range, it should be casted and missed, not the sign "Too far away!"

5roh8Km.png

yes the tech is there.. other games have done it.. Darkfall, Mortal Online, Planetside, Planetside 2 just to name a few.

DF & MO both have miserable combat, PS2 is a mediocre shooter at best by its mechanics.

Not quite sure if the "tech is there" quite yet.

No thanks to action based - and to say tab-targeting requires no skill is laughable. I hate to post the same video twice in the span of thirty minutes, but from the other thread, the level of organization required for well-done tab-type pvp is evinced through numerous SB vids:

Would rather not have another FPS hack and slash em up fest

Waste Management

Ventrilo info: Carbon.typefrag.com 8165 pw Tootdat

Good day and sorry for my poor english.

Playing games around i found that action-oriented games (with free targeting, cool projectile physics, dodging...) have to be instantiated, since they really need a great amount of data through the net.

IMHO we still don't have the technology to make a nice action-oriented game wich is also open world.

So, even before deciding about the fighting system, we should ask ourselves: since there is no real option (as far as i know!!!) to make a cool action game in an open world, what should we choose instead?

Wut? Planetside 2? Hundreds of people in the open world with tanks, planes, and ground troops all fighting for control of the various worlds with multiple fronts and 3 factions.

That is as action oriented and open world as you can get and they do a damn good job of running it.

Wut? Planetside 2? Hundreds of people in the open world with tanks, planes, and ground troops all fighting for control of the various worlds with multiple fronts and 3 factions.

That is as action oriented and open world as you can get and they do a damn good job of running it.

One of the greatest things Shadowbane did was allow almost all of the towns to be player built, designed, pay for in resources, with time constraints, all of the npcs who crafted gear (some with actual value and others being worthless) resided in the towns.

They were planted near zones which could be used for leveling, farming gold or resources, and runes (which gave perm stat increases or disciplines which functioned like prestige classes from D&D).  Some where planted near rune gates which allowed travel to one of the other 5-8 gates spread across the map.

That's as open world as it gets brosideon.

The integral sec y dy from zero to one-sixth of pi is log to base e of the square root of three times the sixty-fourth power of i = Astrophysics Black Guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirohito

rmtUNI0.png