Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ACE_JackalBark

ACE Q&A for August: Game Systems

@thomasblair & @mhalashace Thanks for the Q&A answers.

The CC question was one I hadn't noticed in game yet, it was a good explanation of how it actually works in regards to the diminishing returns of how long the CC lasts.

Edit - I also like hearing that they are open to putting other types of mobs in the game for a different type of resource harvesting.

Edited by Teufel

lUvvzPy.png

learning what materials are needed to create a blueprint to be used to create a 'blueprint template' will be interesting.

Right now the Heartwood and Beeswax creates a huge requirement on (specialty trained)  woodworkers to create the Blueprint Scroll for siege items, if the process is extended woodworking now a feeder requirement for any one hoping to factory? 

Don't forget, the one EK that no one will judge you for looting your guilds treasury is Anhrez's Doober Shack. Where you can take those long con gains and 'simplify' them to more easily fit in your inventory. While you are unloading your hard earned winnings, swing by the Bazaar and pick up something to celebrate your genius.

LR0tCJt.png

One of the best Q&As in months. Very interesting question about mobs dropping resources beyond leather. Could see that having great effects if mobs and nodes were places nearby, so harvesters and combat players have more of a reason to be together in the field than just protecting harvesters. Excited for 5.3 and beyond.

48 minutes ago, IHeartFargo said:

One of the best Q&As in months. Very interesting question about mobs dropping resources beyond leather. Could see that having great effects if mobs and nodes were places nearby, so harvesters and combat players have more of a reason to be together in the field than just protecting harvesters. Excited for 5.3 and beyond.

If I can kill a mob and get the resources via combat (alone) that you spent time training and equipping for--that wouldn't work.  However, like in AO, I could kill it but couldn't harvest it unless I had the skill to harvest (or perhaps you'd harvest the creature I killed), then that would work.  That being considered, I'm all for it. 

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

"Specializing in one thing will cause people to seek each other out" Partly true, but also it just makes me want to buy more accounts. Already got 10, how many you guys got?

I think not having a player-to-player resurrection is a mistake. Especially if you're the victor, maybe one of your group mates died during the fight and now you have to wait for him to run back? Sounds counter-intuitive to me. Make it hard to use and extremely situational if that's what it takes to balance it.

Edited by Helix

Text Summary (TL;DW)

How does CC immunity work?

There is a 'resolve' stat which reduces the duration of CCs. Every time you get hit with a CC, it increases your resolve, further reducing duration of subsequent CCs.

Example: you get hit with a 5 second knockdown. You then get hit with another knockdown, it's only 2.5 seconds this time due to resolve. If you get hit with enough CCs in a short time, you can go completely immune (for 8 seconds). There should be a visual effect when full immunity happens.

CCs are divided into three types: hard CCs (stun, knockdown), movement CCs (root/slow), attack CCs (suppress). Each type has its own immunity. So you can get hit with a root and then a stun, and both will be full length, because the root (movement CC) immunity does not help with stuns (hard CC).

Account names are linked to ingame names. Will names become available again after an account is inactive long enough, and is there a way to pre-purchase names?

No and no.

Given that Crowfall is "really small" for an MMO, why further restrict content by making players choose between combat, crafting, and gathering?

Crowfall will be small in the sense that it won't have much traditional MMO content (no quests), but it will have lots to do once all the systems are in. Beyond that, why make players specialize? So that players have to seek each other out. "No man is an island"

Can we let VIPs queue skills out as long as they have VIP paid for?

Blair doesn't think we'll need this once we get all the skill system changes. Skill training will become more interesting and something you're more likely to want to micromanage. It'll be "better in the future, more of a 'game'."

What are the plans regarding blueprint durability?

The blueprint system is modeled on Star Wars: Galaxies. Every SWG blueprint could make 1000 copies, in hindsight this was a mistake that they could never really fix. They're aiming much lower in Crowfall, "starting with double digits max." They won't make the same mistake again, they promise "new and exciting mistakes" instead.

What's the deal with players being asked not to stream/share content, why the double standard?

When we (pre-alpha 1/2 players) see the new milestones (major updates) for the first time, they're very broken. And once it's on the internet, it's there forever. So they want us (pre-alpha 1/2) to wait a couple weeks when we first get a new milestone so they can fix the worst problems before we start sharing it.

Albion online lets you kill mobs for resources (example: treant that drops wood). It makes gathering less tedious, provides an alternative for people that don't like hitting rocks. (Editor's note: that wasn't a question)

Blair: yeah that's a cool idea, we might do it. Note that Crowfall already has similar mechanics with leather, and (soon) disciplines will be the same - you'll have to hunt specific mobs to get them.

Is there going to be player-to-player resurrection?

Maybe. We don't need it in the current test. After combat changes, bigger maps, larger player counts, etc., they might add it if they really think we need it.

Clerics are awesome. Any chance of getting them before the race/class split?

Haha no. Wait for patch 5.3, it'll be awesome.

Edited by Avloren
spelling is hard

What is the scope of 5.3 with regards previously complete vs incomplete race and gender options as well as "all" available class/race combos?

[pst the cc immunity system has been known since hd guys ;p]

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

13 minutes ago, Tinnis said:

[pst the cc immunity system has been known since hd guys ;p]

I've been testing since HD/SP and I didn't know about resolve, or that there was a diminishing returns.  There is no indication on the UI that resolve is being applied.

lUvvzPy.png

5 minutes ago, Teufel said:

I've been testing since HD/SP and I didn't know about resolve, or that there was a diminishing returns.  There is no indication on the UI that resolve is being applied.

yea, the only feedback are by the buff messages stating 'movement cc immune' 'attack cc immune' and 'cc immune' etc and the tints on characters and visually looking at the duration of cc applied to you in succession on the debuff bar

e.g. i previously observed the diminished effects to be 100% duration, 66% duration then 33% duration and triggering the 8 second immunity for that type after the last effect ended [within say a ~20s period]

Edited by Tinnis

We've known there was CC immunity for repeated knockdowns/stuns...but its never been exactly clear how many times you had to be hit for it to trigger or how/if subsequent knockdowns were of shorter duration. Furthermore, the Resolve mechanic wasn't really discussed (although it is mentioned in the Escape Artist passive description). 

73Q3A11.jpg

Edited by Gradishar

I miss the old Hungerdome era CC Immunity - where all CC types went into one resolve pool and eventually you got that golden skin total CC immunity for a certain amount of time. That felt more strategic, and made an opportunity to change the fight. Right now it's possible to be chain-CC'd with different types until you are dead (not fun).

tiPrpwh.png

3 minutes ago, miraluna said:

I miss the old Hungerdome era CC Immunity - where all CC types went into one resolve pool and eventually you got that golden skin total CC immunity for a certain amount of time. That felt more strategic, and made an opportunity to change the fight. Right now it's possible to be chain-CC'd with different types until you are dead (not fun).

yea the initial implementation:

https://www.crowfall.com/en/news/crowd-control-and-teamwork/

In Crowfall’s first pre-alpha combat milestone, we are going to try a mixed approach: we’re going to use the halving-duration technique, coupled with a short duration immunity after suffering from multiple crowd control effects. 

Here are the mechanics behind the halving and immunity timers:

• Each player has a hidden stat called Resolve
  • Each time a crowd control effect is applied, it also applies an amount of Resolve. (If the CC doesn’t stick, no Resolve is added.)
  • Generally, the longer and/or more severe the crowd control, the greater the amount of Resolve. (Knockdowns apply more resolve than the stuns.)
  • Once the player’s Resolve hits a certain threshold, they become immune to crowd control for 15 seconds.
  • After this timer expires, the player’s Resolve is reset to 0. (If the player uses a power like Retaliate to get back up early, the amount of Resolve that was added for the knockdown is reduced.)

Edited by Tinnis