Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
filip99999

Assassin Gender Locked?

So, they have presented a new archetype and it appears to be gender locked. Only female model has been shown and the backstory indicates so. However, is it really so? Maybe males are killed only in Riverlands. It is a humanoid type, so there is a possibility for male assassins. Even if they didn't plan to make male assassins at start, if enough people wants to play them, they will crumble under pressure. So the question is: How many of you will want to play as male assassin?

Edited by filip99999

A  "is this archetype gender-locked" thread has happened in every single section.

LOL

And yes looks like they will be. Its stated they kill their males.

Here's the quote from her story.

"I had a brother, once… for a few minutes. I think I was born first?

The Farewell Kiss is swift and painless. We are not monsters, after all. No one needs to suffer.

Some mothers cry. Some plead for assistance. My mother did neither.

For generations, this has been our practice. For generations, we have known peace."

Community Moderator - http://killonsight.info/

The Dark Forest beckons...

Also, just because it's humanoid, doesn't mean it's not gender-locked or that they'll make one if extremely popular. Take the Stoneborn Forgemaster. We already got official word that even if extremely popular, they won't make a female version due to lore. 

not everything has to have sex in order to reproduce

So what you are saying is we still have to worry about PP jr?

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

not everything has to have sex in order to reproduce

Well, they imply that they mate and kill the male in the assassin's narrative.

They kill their males in Riverlands. Maybe other Fae don't kill them. They have to get males from somewhere...

Of course, maybe Fae men aren't assassins.

Yeah. I mean there could be multiple things going on:

1. It's a lie and the Assassin quoted in the narrative likes telling tall tales.

2. The Assassin quoted in the narrative doesn't know the full truth, they were re-educated to this world view during their upbringing and indoctrination to the assassin society.

3. It's literally true, but then the Riverlands society is probably really really small because the numbers wouldn't work out otherwise: killing off all the newborn males and killing off all the males after mating would quickly deplete their society of males and the offspring being born would exhibit genetic damage due to a rather shallow gene pool.

4. It's literally true, and the species is sexually dimorphic to an extreme degree, the males of the species epitomize nasty and brutish, mature to reproductive capacity rather quickly and can survive independently immediately following birth. So the woman mate with the males that manage to escape following a live birth; those males are the ones that exhibit the best survival traits, being able to escape infanticide.

I'm kinda leaning to #1 or #3. If no fae male makes it into the game, then maybe #4.

Edited by youma

Click here to join the Crowfall Discord chat community

Sekket on Mourning. Bhorov on Test Server. Youma the Pirate wherever TSP has sailed.

This is just a backstory for a single character.  I read this much more like a story from a character's perspective who lives within a particular faction, just like Charters in SB had their lore written from their perspective.  It's very possible that multiple classes could live in this Riverlands area under a common alliance.  So the Riverlands inhabitants are female only, they still  have the capability to be male.  That means there should be groups outside the Riverlands that are male as well.

Edited by malenx

I'm not a fan of of amazon/fairy assassin and especial so as it would seem that assassins are locked to fairies.  that said it's an interesting concept and I'm sure people will enjoy the archetype gender locked race/class combo.  Not everything is going to be a hit for everyone.  A bummer the 'assassin' is this fairy gender locked concept though.

hopefully there will be a male stealthy/stalking/ambushing dual wielding cutthroat bandit rogue marauder brigand still to come for all of us that are fans of the theme.

>:-D

Edited by delghinn

delghinn.png

The only archetype to confirm male and female is the Templar, which showed models of both genders. Since the Fae Assassin had no such depiction of a male version, we can only assume that it will be gender locked to female. Also, the back story is quite clear in saying that the males of the species are killed at birth.

I for one like the Fae/Assassin and the lore behind it and to not make this one gender locked would really take from it. I believe it will be, and I think it will be less of a concern for people when they announce the next "Rogue" type class. Even if Assassin is gender locked to Fae, they will of course have another cloak and dagger type class elsewhere.

sbu_lom_crowfall.png

I for one like the Fae/Assassin and the lore behind it and to not make this one gender locked would really take from it. I believe it will be, and I think it will be less of a concern for people when they announce the next "Rogue" type class. Even if Assassin is gender locked to Fae, they will of course have another cloak and dagger type class elsewhere.

Even if they announce another "rogue type" class there is zero reason to make a class as popular and generic as "assassin" gender locked.  We are not talking Valkyries or Warlocks here, classes that demand one gender or another.  Assassins should be everywhere in a world like this and come in all flavors.

Fae and Stoneborn are races.

Fae kill their males because it's their culture (like the Amazons, or the mermaids who seduced and killed sailors)

And Stoneborn are born from Gaea, and I guess rising from Earth or stone make them golem beings, so they don't need to reproduce.

Assassin and Forgemaster are classes. I'm pretty sure, or at least I really hope, other races will be able to choose Assassin or Forgemaster :)

Edited by shmilbick

Personally, I read this as the backstory of this specific character. As far as I know there isn't that much info about how races and classes will work, but I hope classes, races and genders can be mixed and matched, as it would increase the number of variations possible for a character. On the other hand, I can see merit in different races treating gender differently. Hermaphrodites, exclusively females, ethereal beings that don't know gender at all... It helps set the races apart.