Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
filip99999

Assassin Gender Locked?

Can we stop with the "I'm a boy so I can't play a girl in video games."  just because you play a girl in a video game doesn't mean you're gonna change into a girl in real life.

I've played all the tomb raiders with no problem. But in MMO's I dislike being a female because I want a virtual representation of myself in a 3d world. 

For me, in a sense being forced to play a female character IS being changed into a girl because when I play I fully immerse myself. 

Casuals that play without doing this wouldn't understand what it would mean to not be able to play their favorite class with their own identity and features as the protagonist. 

Edited by ell8u@aol.com

So, they have presented a new archetype and it appears to be gender locked. Only female model has been shown and the backstory indicates so. However, is it really so? Maybe males are killed only in Riverlands. It is a humanoid type, so there is a possibility for male assassins. Even if they didn't plan to make male assassins at start, if enough people wants to play them, they will crumble under pressure. So the question is: How many of you will want to play as male assassin?

thats a humble way to put it, a$$hole

Its not gender locked. anybody can play the female character no matter your gender.

It's gender locked if the playable character is available in only one gender :)

Fae are gender blocked because they banish and kill all their males, and Stoneborn are gender blocked because they don't have gender, they just look like men but don't reproduce.

Of course, all gamers, boys or girls, can play a these characters :D

It's gender locked if the playable character is available in only one gender :)

Fae are gender blocked because they banish and kill all their males, and Stoneborn are gender blocked because they don't have gender, they just look like men but don't reproduce.

Of course, all gamers, boys or girls, can play a these characters :D

ah, i thought people were trying to turn this into a discrimination thing.  :)

ah, i thought people were trying to turn this into a discrimination thing.  :)

Well, some people can't conceive to play a girl... Myself if I want to RolePlay, I don't like being courted. But that won't happen if as a Fae I can threat to kill a man without being punished by my people :D

Further more, so far I think we don't know if the archetypes are races-locked. Maybe we will be able to play Assassin Human :)

Edited by shmilbick

I've played all the tomb raiders with no problem. But in MMO's I dislike being a female because I want a virtual representation of myself in a 3d world. 

For me, in a sense being forced to play a female character IS being changed into a girl because when I play I fully immerse myself. 

Casuals that play without doing this wouldn't understand what it would mean to not be able to play their favorite class with their own identity and features as the protagonist. 

Yeah, I guess I don't immerse myself like that so I couldn't really understand. Sorry I didn't acknowledge those people who do get really into MMOs like you and others. 

Can we stop with the "I'm a boy so I can't play a girl in video games."  just because you play a girl in a video game doesn't mean you're gonna change into a girl in real life.

That isn't the point, I can play Cait,Cass,Vi,Leblanc, any of the characters in league for 50 minutes, that's cool. But a character I'm attached to? Something I'm going to be playing for 3000 hours + (I have 1.5k wins in league, so that's easily over 3000 hours if you count losses, ranked games and arams (wins and losses of both) ) I want this character to eventually *at least for me* take after the concept that I created based on the tools given to me to customize him.

At least for me, when I design/customize a chracacter, they eventually become a fantastical caricature of me *in my eyes*. I am not female, I may enjoy the mechanics of the class, but I would eventually lose touch with the character and probably not play the game anymore do to disinterest. That's usually why I play a male in most mmorpgs, it allows me to invest personally into the character and immerse myself. The character I am playing as has no real story of his own (in most mmos), so I have to impart one, thus I take ques from who I am to attribute to the character which makes the game more fun for me. Lots of mmos have character locked classes and genders *that's why I don't play them*. I'm not saying that's "wrong" so to speak, just that so far out of the revealed classes assassin appeals to me the most, then again this game wasn't meant to cater to everyone which I accept, if that means not having me, so be it.

Honestly I don't think classes should really be "locked" I think it's kind of silly if it's as easy as copy pasting them to another gender and just doing animations / voice work *on not necessarily as easy as copy pasting lol*. But I think not putting the investment in cross-gender classes is multiple times more worth than simply not because you think it will create a compelling narative. You could easily create just as a quality a narative with cross-gender classes (or same classes with different names, for instance let the fae have assassin and other stealth classes of the same type be rogue or something). From what i have learned about the game in 1 hour of reading about it is the campaigns or worlds will be created and destroyed multiple times anyway, so why is there a need for locked classes anyway?

Yeah, I guess I don't immerse myself like that so I couldn't really understand. Sorry I didn't acknowledge those people who do get really into MMOs like you and others. 

Don't acknowledge them? What do you mean by that, it sounds like you simply don't consider them or simply deny the existence of us rofl. I mean you can say " I don't sympathize" but not acknowledging it is simply silly. It isn't hard for you to think that people like to immersive themselves in a game or character, hell why do you think most people play rpgs? They enjoy immersion, and creating a character more like you allows you to put your feet in the characters shoes easier, how is that hard to acknowledge? You yourself don't have to experience something to acknowledge it

I acknowledge that a fps game can be 10/10 best game ever objectively made, but I don't play fps games. (might not be the best analogy, fps games suck :rolleyes:)

Well I'm going to go ahead and state the obvious, but:

Having a race that compulsively kills off all its males continuously is stupid, unless the females reproduce asexually - in which case, why do they even have males in their species in the first place? Ya.. not really sure if the designers/writers thought this one through.

I think gender and race locking classes is a mistake, it limits RP and visual variety, and in the case of the assassins makes them very unsympathetic (also bad to limit a major archetype). They are free to make any lore they want, and it should serve the game play and freedom of the players, they seem to be held hostage to it instead. This is the first major problem I see with this game.

Don't acknowledge them? What do you mean by that, it sounds like you simply don't consider them or simply deny the existence of us rofl. I mean you can say " I don't sympathize" but not acknowledging it is simply silly. It isn't hard for you to think that people like to immersive themselves in a game or character, hell why do you think most people play rpgs? They enjoy immersion, and creating a character more like you allows you to put your feet in the characters shoes easier, how is that hard to acknowledge? You yourself don't have to experience something to acknowledge it

I acknowledge that a fps game can be 10/10 best game ever objectively made, but I don't play fps games. (might not be the best analogy, fps games suck :rolleyes:)

Sorry I didn't mean to sound so ignorant but that's kinda what it came off as I guess. I realize that people who like to be immersed in mmorpgs exist just at the time I wasn't really thinking about them. The comment I made was more directed at other people who think its weird that males play females in games or vice versa. Again very sorry for my ignorant comment. 

I dunno, I guess it's hard for me to really see the big deal with all of this. If a class that I'm interested in and enjoy is gender locked, I'll play the class. I get the whole " I'm attached to this character I'm creating and want a fictional extension of myself when I play it", but if said class has a strict reasoning for it to be gender locked, then that's probably not going to change due to a minority of players wanting otherwise.. 

I played a Witch Elf in Warhammer Online for 2 years and had no issue with it being gender locked to female. The class had good reasons why it was an only female class. People just dealt with it because they enjoyed the class. Not much else to it really.

mael4.jpg

I dunno, I guess it's hard for me to really see the big deal with all of this. If a class that I'm interested in and enjoy is gender locked, I'll play the class. I get the whole " I'm attached to this character I'm creating and want a fictional extension of myself when I play it", but if said class has a strict reasoning for it to be gender locked, then that's probably not going to change due to a minority of players wanting otherwise.. 

I played a Witch Elf in Warhammer Online for 2 years and had no issue with it being gender locked to female. The class had good reasons why it was an only female class. People just dealt with it because they enjoyed the class. Not much else to it really.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Plus I like the lore of the fae assassin and I think it personally makes the game more interesting. Though obviously everyone has a different opinion. 

Having a race that compulsively kills off all its males continuously is stupid, unless the females reproduce asexually - in which case, why do they even have males in their species in the first place? Ya.. not really sure if the designers/writers thought this one through.

We don't know all their story.

Maybe males were the former leaders of their society, and ruled them in a bad way.

Or maybe as magic specie their males become monstruous and corrupt their kind.

They could keep only the female to ensure the purity of their blood, capturing foreign healthy Human males only as breeders.

This is not the first time we see a female society forbiding male people :many stories, myths, universes have this kind of society. I'm pretty sure designers have already thought about their lore.

Pardon me, maybe I missed it but where does it say that all Fae kill off the males?

All I read was that Fae Assassin society kills off their males, that doesn't mean that there isn't a greater non-assassin Fae society out there. If there isn't a greater Fae society then where do the males they capture come from?

Immersion isn't necessarily dependent on gender, especially in role playing games. If the role you choose to play is yourself then that's fine, I've got nothing against that. Personally I gain my immersion from stepping into the role of the specific character I'm playing and from how that character fits into the universe it's in, my immersion has little to do with self-projection.

Having a Fae Assassin society that kills off the males and only trains females to be assassins enriches the lore of the universe by creating unique cultures, if everyone does/can do everything then the universe is homogenized and boring. Many people would argue that not having class/race/gender restrictions limits immersion if those combinations don't fit into the lore of the universe.

Projection of your personality isn't a requirement for immersion and role playing. I'm actually a nice guy but if I choose to role-play a selfish backstabbing female assassin I can be quite cunning and nasty and have no problem pretending to be the gender of the character. By doing that I get even more immersed in the character and world, to the point where I can come away from a play session feeling kind of guilty about what I did as that character which just serves to enrich my game experience.

Please don't assume that role playing and immersion is dependent on self-projection, many hard-core role-players would find nothing more boring than role playing themselves in the imaginary worlds they visit.

Edited by Slink

The backstories seem to only refer to one of the gender types and a unique individual (i.e. the male Ranger - which has a female concept in development)

So hopefully there will be a male assassin concept in development soon. Further hoping - as other posters - that archetypes are not race or gender locked.

Please don't assume that role playing and immersion is dependent on self-projection, many hard-core role-players would find nothing more boring than role playing themselves in the imaginary worlds they visit.

This.  I'd consider myself a hardcore roleplayer, and I couldn't agree more.  I love the lore behind the Fae, it's new and refreshing.  They aren't one of the same boring races we generally see in other MMOs.  Now, I AM female, so I suppose I can't say much about males not liking the fact that assassins might only be female, but I will say that the character I loved to RP and to play most was male in a different MMO.  To me that isn't unusual, shameful, or weird in any way.  I loved his story and I still do, and amazingly, I'm still a lady in real life.  If any of you really want to play an assassin and the only thing in your way is the gender, I'd simply encourage you to give it a try before you decide you hate it, especially if you enjoy writing for your characters.