Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fae, Sexism, And So On.

Einlanser

FYI: Games are distinct from reality. Games are meant to ALLOW the players to have experiences based on a different perspective from the one they are shaped into having in reality. Games are ALLOWED to support things that are not acceptable/applicable in reality.

If you are not okay with that, you shouldn't play a game that is encompassing topics and "virtualities" you are not accepting in their game-world-state.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus, have any of you ever read a fantasy book in your life? These so called "taboo" issues like sexism, racism, slaves, assault, etc. are STILL prevalent in fantasy books. That's because these worlds have their own lore and ideals, which is what makes it a fantasy book. Now that it's a fantasy game, you want to remove it? Because YOU might get offended? Harden the custard up, this isn't real life. It's FANTASY with it's own lore and world. 

So a race of man killing fae referencing a traditionally matriarchal myth is perfectly fine, but a race of EMPIRE YES centaurs referencing a traditionally patriarchal civilization is bad, and adding in females for no other purpose other than to appeal to socjus deserves it's own stretch goal? Artcraft please don't do this.

So a race of man killing fae referencing a traditionally matriarchal myth is perfectly fine, but a race of EMPIRE YES centaurs referencing a traditionally patriarchal civilization is bad, and adding in females for no other purpose other than to appeal to socjus deserves it's own stretch goal? Artcraft please don't do this.

It's pretty fun, you react as if Crowfall was an historical representation.

It's not because there are influences and references to History and mythologies, that Crowfall will be the exact same :)

I don't want to break your dreams, but so far Crowfall is a fictionnal, fantasy, and a rather new universe.

Even if there are similarities with History, Mythologies, and even with ShadowBane... ArtCraft is totaly free to create and adapt their Lore as they want.

Nothing prevent a female Centaur, who will have much more strength than Human, Fae, or Elf, to take weapons and go to war punch in these weak bipeds' face :D

I personally loved the writing and the backstory behind the Fae Assassin. I felt it was dark and gritty and leaves me wanting to know more ! My fave part was this.

"Men do not belong in the Riverlands…. not even the breeders. They are captured, they serve their purpose, and they are killed. Many treat their enemies less kindly, I think"

I love a good dark backstory !

Aesthetically speaking the Fae Assassin looks fine.There's gonna be lots of armor types most likely.  I just can't see how this is sexiest? Perhaps I am missing something .. oh well it's late I should get some sleep. I tend to lose track of what I want to say lol.

To the OP. I like the way you constructed your post. I apologize if some of the people were a little harsh towards you. Nothing that can't be settled in the Dregs though XD hehe

- Manaia

To the OP. I like the way you constructed your post. I apologize if some of the people were a little harsh towards you. 

I'd resist any urge to apologize on the behalf of others, in particular those who feel no need to apologize.  But, that's just me. 

Er, what's "edging"?

I debated posting this, I wasn't sure if I wanted to join in this discussion to say my piece or to just hope this all blows over and dies. But it appears it won't be 10 pages in so here goes.

After reading the backstory there are two conclusions I can draw,

1. The writers for the game want this game to take place in a mature atmosphere at least for purposes of story.
Now I'm not up to date on ESRB rating practices but I believe we're looking at M rated or worse based on the inclusion of Gendercide alone and possibly facing an outright ban in some countries. Which is fine, not that I support it or that it isn't distasteful but if that's they way they want to roll then that's their call.

2. Not every race are going to be inherently good.
This game is going to be full of champions on the law or balance spectrum of the triple faction example. But there's still chaos, a faction that specifically stated are ready to let the hunger take over these worlds. So some of these races are going to be at the very least mean, and others like the Fae outright morally bankrupt.

So in short, calm down. This is clearly what they intended and will be subject to no change. Enjoy the fact that some races out there will be evil. That way you can gank, teabag and grief them til your hearts content.

I'm confused. Is a chaotic/evil character or race not allowed to be chaotic or evil?

As countless people have said, it's a fantasy universe.

A fantasy race. As in, a species that is clearly not human.

She appears with wings and pointy ears for Valkyn's sake!

Different cultures have differing opinions, differing traditions. Simple. :P

Bottom line is if someone doesn't like the lore/fantasy/universe/game, there are plenty more games and MMOs out there.

All can be happy.

(If chaotic evil can be happy but we will leave that for another forum topic).

As an avid, passionate, DEDICATED hater of Elves for all time and space, i totally agree with Felipeii's attitude. If you hate it, let it fuel you!

Yeah I'm pretty on board with this stance but the part that concerns me is their flight capabilities. I'm hoping there some other equally good options for characters that want to fly or else we'll be forced to work with them. Their ideology is so disgustingly ignorant I'd prefer to just KOS the whole lot of them.

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

Does anyone else find it amusing that in a game where killing is encouraged, a race which kills on the basis of gender is being berated?  I am avidly against this ideology in real life, but in a PvP game it seems so silly to pick on dark, cruel lore because it's sexist.  How many other players are your characters going to end up killing?  And to what end?  To gain land and resources?  Some of the eternal champions may be "good," but in games, it's ultimately about power no matter how pretty the cause looks.  (Unless you have a fantastic RP story, in which case I salute you.)

In short, it's just a story.  No Fae is going to sneak up behind you and kill you in real life, and it's very unlikely that any sane human would do that either.

Now I'm not up to date on ESRB rating practices but I believe we're looking at M rated or worse based on the inclusion of Gendercide alone and possibly facing an outright ban in some countries. Which is fine, not that I support it or that it isn't distasteful but if that's they way they want to roll then that's their call.

I highly doubt anything in that story will actually be in the game itself.  At best it would be mentioned in some sort of book or "codex," and perhaps it's even just left on the website entirely.  At that point, I'm not sure how much the ESRB cares about text-based, extremely background information.  As long as there isn't someone standing around with a gold exclamation point on their head who gives you the quest goal:

• Murder 0/10 male Fae babies

I don't think it will be held against the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Not blatantly evil, they are doing the whole sacrifice for the greater good thing.  Males have an inherent weakness and depravity that causes destruction on a scale wider than the Hunger and more insidious due to coming from within.  They nip that in the bud.  They built a whole society around the greater good.  

Honestly, none of this will matter once the game drops.  I've seen this movie before and trust me when I say that it will not matter in the slightest once people start logging in and building their walls and fighting over spawns.  Just some flavor about why there isn't a male skin.

If everyone was a good guy, you wouldn't have an incentive for PvP, just My Little Pony Online. Different tropes for different folks.

Fae in fiction and fantasy are very rarely the Fairy Godmother pansies, they're dark, terrifying things. Think Hellboy 2, Golden Army type stuff. Think the first five minutes of a Supernatural episode. Faeries abduct children and make them serve as slaves. There's all kinds of different nasty races in fiction and fantasy, and those are the ones I'd rather see. 

I like the description. It's dark, it's eery, it suggests some real motivations for... oh, I don't know, giant effing wars? 

You think the gods are all moral? I mean really? They're Order, Balance, and Chaos. Why would you think a group of gods that are flagged under Chaos would be sunshine and puppies? They're chaotic not virtuous. 

Besides that, evil, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. We consider Hitler evil but he and his followers legitimately believed they were making the world a better place. Same goes for the Fae. They believe that males cause wars and become tyrants. They've done this for generations and have known peace. They don't believe themselves evil. After all, to them they kill males swiftly and painlessly, which as they say, others don't give that courtesy. You only have to look at the latest news in our world to see how war is treated. Burning good men alive.Torture. They don't take pleasure out of it, they do it for safety and peace. That doesn't make them evil.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AboveGoodAndEvil Just gonna leave that there.

Also reminds me somewhat of the Ur-Quan and their doctrines, i.e. every living thing should be killed or it might kill us someday we're totally not the bad guys but i collect bones in a pit.

^^^^

MatrimVorkosigan.png

I'm just wondering how the hell they have kids... If they kill all the men... I guess there was something about slaves so maybe they keep some around as slaves so they can have kids?? I thought it was weird too. Also if there are characters that have such strong feelings about a gender, how will they be able to work with other people of that gender? They won't want to... I feel like this undermines the guild thing. Just my personal opinion. Oh and if there are female assassins that try to assassinate males then why can't their be male assassins who try to assassinate the female assassins that are trying to assassinate males? And don't those terrorists she mentions use assassins to keep power too? Maybe I'm going too far into it but it seems silly in some ways.

To clarify though I really do like that not all the characters are morally straight wonderful heroes and heroins that are morally sound and completely selfless. Even the ones who try to have conflicting views or wish they didn't have to do what they do.

You know what, to see an end to this topic I'd like them to have extreme sexual dimorphism in the fae race, where the fae female is more or less humanoid but the male is some lovecraftian horror, which can wiggle it's way to freedom after its birth despite the best efforts of a half dozen midwives trying their best to put the thing down. Then you could introduce fae lore like this:

Male Human Knight : M'lady, I assure you not all men are so depraved.

Female Fae Assassin : You're male in your species? But where are your hideous...

Fae Male: r̸͕̻̦̮ͬ͋͂̉̓͆͡ą̥̥̙͈̭͌ͦͯͦẘ̛͚̼̮̩̙͙ͧ̍͒͘͟r̗̺̞͇̦̪̻͍̈́̓̾ͅ!̱͎̫̭̆ͩ̆͑̅͒͡

̵̪̯͚̗̪ͤ̑ͦ͟

Male Human Knight : By the gods what is that hideous thing!

Female Fae Assassin: Run! It's in mating frenzy!

<Much stabbing later>

Male Human Knight : (cough) M'lady, I fear I might be mortally wounded.. OH MY GOD THE PAIN!

Female Fae Assassin: It seems you've been pierced by his seed quills. A fae woman in such a situation will soon find herself with child, and I can feel the change coming upon me already, but among outsiders it's almost always fatal.

Male Human Knight : UGH, I CAN FEEL MY INSIDES DISSOLVING!

Female Fae Assassin: I can give you the sweet release of death, it'd be a mercy...

Hopefully then we could put an end to people trying to start fights over gender politics in crowfall.

Click here to join the Crowfall Discord chat community

Sekket on Mourning. Bhorov on Test Server. Youma the Pirate wherever TSP has sailed.

Archived