Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fae, Sexism, And So On.

People like me or people like I mentioned in my post? 

If it's the people who are angry over the Fae story, well, yeah. I am also bemused by the whining; who would ever have thought the Amazon culture would cause such a kerfuffle. I just put it down to a general discomfort of 1st worlders  when confronted by a paradigm that is obviously opposite their own, and that raises interesting points for cultural examination.  

If you're talking about me, well. I love strong female characters, especially powerful ones with interesting back stories that point to the mists of time and our own Amazon mythos. And I like hugs. And I'm a feminist, a real one. And WoW isn't wow'ish to me. So. Lemme know if we need to have a scuffle over it. I do enjoy a nice session of verbal fisticuffs with a worthy foe.

If it makes you feel any better, I also second guessed my contribution to Crowfall a few weeks ago. I was discouraged by the general tone of the forums; there were some racist and mysogynist comments/discussions that turned me way off, and I wondered if I really wanted to back a game full of asshats.  Ultimately I resolved to contribute to the KS; the forum is small but the game is huge, so I never need encounter some of the poorly made socks I see here once we have a game to play. Plus, I've never been one to give my toys to asshats and bullies. Stubborn that way :D

Regards,

Iri~

I meant people who feel the need to drag any politics into a video game community in general, which is why your post jumped out at me

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, somebody please list out all of the politically correct characters video game companies are allowed to use. 

You read the other Archetype narratives and get "Noble Hero?"  The Legionnaire is basically a gummy bear, the Forgemaster is a crazy recluse who thinks a dude setting himself on fire would be the funn

You're reading way to much into this as most people who try their hardest to get offended.

I meant people who feel the need to drag any politics into a video game community in general, which is why your post jumped out at me

Well, I can't tell if you're needling me or if you're agreeing with me. Do please let me know if I should prepare for textual fisticuffs. I'm happy to defend my right to post as I please in these forums. 

Cheers!

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

Well, I can't tell if you're needling me or if you're agreeing with me. Do please let me know if I should prepare for textual fisticuffs. I'm happy to defend my right to post as I please in these forums. 

Cheers!

I was "needling" anyone who again felt the need to bring politics into what's supposed to be something fun, i've been playing video games for a very long time and one thing that never stops irking me whether i'm playing in an MMO or discussing a videogame online on an imageboard or forum, or even with real life friends is when someone feels they need to shout out their political agenda no matter what it is to everyone and turn something that's supposed ot be fun into a serious platform for real world problems

I was "needling" anyone who again felt the need to bring politics into what's supposed to be something fun, i've been playing video games for a very long time and one thing that never stops irking me whether i'm playing in an MMO or discussing a videogame online on an imageboard or forum, or even with real life friends is when someone feels they need to shout out their political agenda no matter what it is to everyone and turn something that's supposed ot be fun into a serious platform for real world problems

Ah well, have a good time adjusting to the "community" here. You'll fit right in. 

Bless your heart. 

Edited by iridianshadowweaver

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

There are 12 different gods divided into Law, Balance and Chaos.  Nothing there about good vs evil.  The Hunger is not evil, it is entropy.  I prefer the fact that champions from any sort of god is present, not for a good and just cause, but as a culling from the inevitable destruction of a world.  This gives players a (storytelling/lore) reason to work together.  It is also enough of a reason to have us fighting over resources as we all do not see eye-to-eye.

If you feel strongly about any depiction, or in-game theology, I suggest you simply join the god you feel the most in tune with.  Take it out on the battlefield.  At best comments to the like here are inflammatory which no one will ever agree on, at worst they are simply trollbait.

Edited by Doomgrin

Entropy is not what it used to be.  I am a servant of The Nothing.. The Hunger!

https://38.media.tumblr.com/c8b3da04c46297fe112a98ab12ad8e09/tumblr_n5l2imj4NF1qzm5g7o1_500.gif

In DnD terms the Fae would be worse than a Drow Priestess; at least they save some males to be tools for their own bidding (copulation, weapon masters, mages).  If the Fae kill all males how do they reproduce?

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?

In DnD terms the Fae would be worse than a Drow Priestess; at least they save some males to be tools for their own bidding (copulation, weapon masters, mages).  If the Fae kill all males how do they reproduce?

From the sounds of it, they abduct men that wander into their territory, r ape them and once they have what they need, kill them

Edited by Alhazredd

Magic. Ain't gonna explain breasts.

On the point of topic.

People who are looking for sexist, racist, homophobic, etc etc etc etc etc tropes in ART. Please go away. Please go away and never come back.

It's ART. And ART is often expression of one's (or many's?)...god my english is bad, it's the "I see it this way". And if you don't like - you can get the shlong out and whine about objectification or whatever.

I'M SO DONE WITH YOU. I AM SO DIDLEY DOO DONE.

ART is about OBJECTIFICATION. 

Damn, if you're offended by cartoons - I have bad news for you.

Thing I find most interesting about this thread is that no matter how many people post, what arguements are made, etc were all gonna play the hell out of an assassin and have a fun time doing it right, regardless of the lore.

This one's been nagging at me also. I could see a catch and release system working, but killing them all would end up with none. She mentions the Riverlands -- perhaps she hails from a specific all-woman nation, and the Riverlands is not matriarchal, with men and women living together and reporducing? I'd plain love the idea of trans women existing in Fae society to explain this, but for a lot of reasons I don't see that being a case (I mean, they obviously designate gender at birth based on physical attributes).

That said, drawing similarities between the Drow and Fae is interesting. The Drow are unabashedly evil and love it, whereas the Fae feel like they're performing a service to all existence. The Drow enslave their men, and the Fae kill them. One big similarity though, that solicits derisive laughter and side-eye, is that they're both matriarchal societies, yet they dress for the male gaze. Uhmm?

yet they dress for the male gaze. 

Define "Male Gaze".

Don't you, people, dress the way you like it?

Because as far as I know, sane people dress the way they want. To feel comfortable, warm, protected from sun, rain and whatever biological hazards there are. And, some times, to attract opposite male.

You know. Simple deduction will leave us one simple explanation. Fae dress that way BECAUSE THE EFFING LIKE TO DRESS LIKE THAT.

We still have the "crossbreeding" card. However, instead of a new race, the fae body manipulates the genitor DNA in a way that the offspring will be a fae too. It's too over the top (imo), but makes some sense.

One of the motives that makes me question the idea that the fae presented to us is only a group of a bigger society is the statement:

For generations, this has been our practice. For generations, we have known peace.

How can the other group be slaughtered and still not raise the banners of war?

With only poison in my veins!

cm5oDMm.png

Define "Male Gaze".

Don't you, people, dress the way you like it?

Because as far as I know, sane people dress the way they want. To feel comfortable, warm, protected from sun, rain and whatever biological hazards there are. And, some times, to attract opposite male.

You know. Simple deduction will leave us one simple explanation. Fae dress that way BECAUSE THE EFFING LIKE TO DRESS LIKE THAT.

Male gaze doesn't really need defining, but I'll half-ass one.

Male gaze: Designs that go out of the way to highlight physical features pleasing to (straight) men.

Your argument of "That's the way they dress" would hold weight if the Fae were a real existing race and society that dressed (for battle, no less) with exposed chests and legs (open femoral artery, anyone?). They're not. They Fae have no agency or will. They don't dress that way because they live in a culture that organicly developed those values, they dress that way because they were designed that way. Agency is key here. They didn't decide to dress in a way that panders to men, the designer did.

Same goes for the Drow. Have you ever seen much of the art for the Drow? You talk about sanity, and I counter with no sane person would enter combat with any flesh exposed, let alone flesh that leaves open vital organs.

I'm not even too upset about it, because (aside from most of the female faces being very similar) there's nothing to complain about the female character designs. Like at all. Which is significant because pretty much every other game out there usually features a lot of chainmail bikinis.

It doesn't help either that "Sexy Matriarchy" is kinda a trope (listed as a sub trope):

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Matriarchy

Edit: Forgot to quote. Oops.

Double edit: Fae wouldn't possibly dress to attract men. They're clearly not interested in men outside of using them for reproductive purposes and then killing them.

Edited by Anhasia

What if a straight female likes in other females same thing as a male does? And she's, like, looking at exposed parts of another women and evaluates them aesthetically? Is that male gazing as well?

Your argument of "That's the way they dress" would hold weight if the Fae were a real existing race

Why are we arguing over a picture?

They didn't decide to dress in a way that panders to men, the designer did.

They can't design anything, they are a fictional race.

It doesn't help either that "Sexy Matriarchy" is kinda a trope (listed as a sub trope):

Why does that bother you so much? It's a VIDEO GAME.

that dressed (for battle, no less) with exposed chests and legs (open femoral artery, anyone?)

Assassinations and Combat Maneuevers are entirely different things. If, let's say, a person would like to assassinate another person via poisoning, he/she would do it 

a) Discreetly (poisoning)

B) Seductively (i.e., woohoo, I'm so sexy, let's go to my chambers, I'll slash your throat during intercourse, for example)

Either way, design of Fae goes very well along with way of an assassin.

P.s. Bikini chainmails are bad.

What if a straight female likes in other females same thing as a male does? And she's, like, looking at exposed parts of another women and evaluates them aesthetically? Is that male gazing as well?

That's not really what's happening. That's a huge "if" that you're supposing without being able to even back it. There are entire communities of women (men too, actually) that talk about how this stuff happens everywhere and how suffocating and annoying it is. Also, amusingly enough, I'm not outright opposed to revealing outfits if they make a lick of thematic sense. A half-bottom example is Morrigan of Dragon Age: Origins. Her outfit makes sense because it fits into how she fancies herself -- as one of the fabled witches of the wild who seduce Chasind men and such. Also since she doesn't live in a society with any other people, it doesn't behoove her to consider or care about values such as modesty. I actually don't really like her outfit, but I'm not inclined to nitpick or complain about it because at least it has the caveat of thematic cohesion. (and even then, sexualized woman with a theme of being sexually empowered is a common enough trope that happens a lot and it gets annoying)

Why are we arguing over a picture?

To you, it's a picture. To many others, myself included, it's a suffocating repetition that's shoved into all avenues of life from which there's no escape. Also, it's a funny thing to try to simplify things in an effort to dismiss them. It's a lot more than just "a picture". It's a picture that reflects cultural norms and the negative impacts they carry.

They can't design anything, they are a fictional race.

That's exactly the point I was making, so thanks for making my point for me, I guess? They're a fictional race, they can't dress in that fashion because "they like it", they dress that way because they were made that way. You earlier said

Don't you, people, dress the way you like it?

Because as far as I know, sane people dress the way they want. To feel comfortable, warm, protected from sun, rain and whatever biological hazards there are. And, some times, to attract opposite male.

Just as how they can't organically design aesthetic values, they can't "like to dress" in any certain way. Again, agency is key here.

Why does that bother you so much? It's a VIDEO GAME.

Again, to you it's "just a video game", but to many others, such as myself, it's far, far more than that. It's an exhausting problem that pops up everywhere, in all forms of media repetitively. I've already said I don't actually dislike skin. I'm totally for characters with exposed skin when it makes thematic sense and when it's equally spread out among genders. If you're even paying a miniscule amount of attention, you'll notice that this happens to women damn-near-always, while it next to never happens to men.

And again, it's about thematic cohesion. Fae don't "seduce" to kill. Unless male Fae are somehow mindless brutes that have an immense weakness for cleavage windows, a male Fae's first instinct seeing a female would be to friggen book it, not try to get closer to the boobies.

(It seems I've run out of allowed quoted blocks of text. -sigh-)

====================================================================================================================

"Assassinations and Combat Maneuevers are entirely different things. If, let's say, a person would like to assassinate another person via poisoning, he/she would do it 

a) Discreetly (poisoning)

B) Seductively (i.e., woohoo, I'm so sexy, let's go to my chambers, I'll slash your throat during intercourse, for example)

Either way, design of Fae goes very well along with way of an assassin."

====================================================================================================================

Unless our characters have the capacity to have sex, this is kinda a moot point. I sincerely doubt you'll let me near your bloodstone tree because you can see my character's cleavage. Maybe if we get a male Fae assassin that wear a thong, with glistening abs and flowing locks, and strikingly beautiful facial features, I'll not want to complain (although I'd prefer if thematically gender-locked races stay that way). Until then, this has little thematic cohesion and ultimately can be chalked up to poor design choice.

At least we can agree that chainmail bikinis are bad, but even so, that doesn't stop them from being extremely prevalent.

Edited by Anhasia

it's a suffocating repetition that's shoved into all avenues of life

I would shove something in your avenue of life, if you know what I mean.

Too long, didn't read.

Video games are art. Art is a vision of a person or a group. If you don't like what you see - exit is that way.

P.s.

MOM BUT IT'S A TROPE. I'M TRIGGERED BY FEMININE SEXUALITY.

You, third-wave feminists, are literal scum. You're trying to shove your vision of the world down people's throats so hard it makes them puke. 

How about you do something constructive once in a while, something, like, draw a picture that reflexes your vision of the world and how things are ought to be.

Hell, if you're arguing about sexism in the games, why wouldn't you go and make a feminist-friendly MMORPG? If you're wasting so much energy trying to "educate" people on what's right and wrong, why won't you go and, I don't know, make a feminist-friendly school or something?

P.P.S.

Don't you even tumblr me.

Edited by Yattuwort

I would shove something in your avenue of life, if you know what I mean.

Too long, didn't read.

Video games are art. Art is a vision of a person or a group. If you don't like what you see - exit is that way.

I kinda figured this would be your response.

-sigh-

Also, I'd appreciate you *not* sexually harassing other members of the board.  Yes, that qualifies as sexual harassment. I'd encourage you to edit that comment out.

Also, art is always subject to critique. As both an aspiring writer and artist, I use those grounds to say that the artist that does not acknowledge and learn from critique is the artist that suffers and eventually fails. Art is not infallible on grounds of being art alone.

Also, I'd appreciate you *not* sexually harassing other members of the board.  Yes, that qualifies as sexual harassment. I'd encourage you to edit that comment out.

I'm triggered by the words "sexual harassment", I'd encourage you to edit that comment out.

P.s.

MOM BUT IT'S A TROPE. I'M TRIGGERED BY FEMININE SEXUALITY.

You, third-wave feminists, are literal scum. You're trying to shove your vision of the world down people's throats so hard it makes them puke. 

How about you do something constructive once in a while, something, like, draw a picture that reflexes your vision of the world and how things are ought to be.

Hell, if you're arguing about sexism in the games, why wouldn't you go and make a feminist-friendly MMORPG? If you're wasting so much energy trying to "educate" people on what's right and wrong, why won't you go and, I don't know, make a feminist-friendly school or something?

P.P.S.

Don't you even tumblr me.

Nice strawperson you got there. It even has such a nice hat.

If you bothered to not cherrypick my post, you'd have noticed that I didn't say I'm "against feminine sexuality". I'm all for women, men, EVERYONE to be empowered by their sexuality. There's a difference between "No one's allowed to be sexy ever" and "Hey, I kinda think this character you designed here has flagrant sexuality in a manner it doesn't fit. It lacks thematic cohesion and perhaps you could consider ways in which your art could be expanded upon by taking in additional points of view"

Having conversations about social issues is extremely constructive. Telling someone "if you don't like it then leave" is, however counter-constructive. If an issue is identified, say at work, I don't walk out the door and say "ah well I guess this isn't the place to me". I confront my supervisor, and the Union if need be to solve the issue. That's kinda how society functions.

Actually, this game up to this point seems pretty feminist friendly. It's kinda why I'm here. The community is another point entirely but hey, that just comes with the territory I guess. What I'm doing is identifying an issue that has ties to actual social issues and is a prevalent issue in our society.

Tumblr is a single website. It has multiple followings, multiple types of people, and actually has as many anti-social justice minded people as social-justice minded. Shall I find a similar subreddit to appease you instead?

I'm triggered by the words "sexual harassment", I'd encourage you to edit that comment out.

Here's the difference. What you did is by definition sexual harassment. Upon signing up for this site, which granted you the ability to use these forums, you agreed to a terms of service. Included in those terms were such things as not sexually harassing other users.

Contrary to what you seem to believe, I'm not here to "censor" you or anyone else. If that were my goal, I would have simply reported it rather than advising you to edit a comment that went against the terms you agreed to.