Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Einlanser

Fae, Sexism, And So On.

What aesthetic? Its a hardcore PvP game. I hope you aren't this sensitive when someone kills and jacks your poorly made socks.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Its a fantasy character,

This. FANTASY. This one is female, so that's that, take it or leave it.

I am really sick of everyone whining about male/female models and customization. They said this game won't be for everyone, this game will focus on PVP and politics. Not dress-up. There is a finite amount of resources to build a video game. What other aspects of the game are you willing to sacrifice to have all these choices that have zero bearing on the primary focuses of PVP and politics? What if in bowing to the vocal few about models they are forced to leave out some of the discipline runes that would bring true customization and variety. I would so much rather see 4 more archetypes than male/female versions of existing ones because they would truly add to the complexity of the universe. 

Edited by skookum

Crowfall: The Official Game of

crowfallwiki.com

What aesthetic? Its a hardcore PvP game. I hope you aren't this sensitive when someone kills and jacks your ****.

I'm not really sensitive at all. I'm a big fan of games like Haven and Hearth, Rust, H1Z1, and Life is Feudal. If this game doesn't execute really poorly on its awesome concept, I'll probably play it for years.

The aesthetic that I'm referring to is the one implied by the first three characters, as I explained in my very first post. They all appear to be virtuous, and this game's conceit is that you are all paragons fighting for heaven. The assassin appears to break away from that notion, and is a wildly evil character. I then asked if anyone has a better perspective- perhaps an indication that 'heaven' doesn't mean you're the good guys. That would ameliorate the sense that there's a broken pattern in the group.

Tbh killing children at birth is a bit too much even for a fantasy game, there are too many softheads around.

It sorta reminds me of The Giver (which I read in 4th grade). Of course, in The Giver the 'kill at birth' rate would be much less than it would be here, unless fae birth rates are usually skewed toward the lady side.

It's not often I see backstories written that have a definite tone that... confronts our societies' normal sensibilities like this. You know?

Edited by Panpear

You read the other Archetype narratives and get "Noble Hero?"  The Legionnaire is basically a gummy bear, the Forgemaster is a crazy recluse who thinks a dude setting himself on fire would be the funniest thing he'd seen that week, and the Templar talks about killing the innocent as a byproduct of the job and being proud of that work.  She prays, but she was still torching them down.  There will be no noble cultures or gallant heroes and heroines.  Just highly skilled people doing horrible stuff for the best intentions.

Er, what's "edging"?

I'm not really sensitive at all. I'm a big fan of games like Haven and Hearth, Rust, H1Z1, and Life is Feudal. If this game doesn't execute really poorly on its awesome concept, I'll probably play it for years.

The aesthetic that I'm referring to is the one implied by the first three characters, as I explained in my very first post. They all appear to be virtuous, and this game's conceit is that you are all paragons fighting for heaven. The assassin appears to break away from that notion, and is a wildly evil character. I then asked if anyone has a better perspective- perhaps an indication that 'heaven' doesn't mean you're the good guys. That would ameliorate the sense that there's a broken pattern in the group.

Well, there's a reason one of the factions is Balance. That faction believes that both Order and Chaos need to exist for the cosmos to exist.

You read the other Archetype narratives and get "Noble Hero?"  The Legionnaire is basically a gummy bear, the Forgemaster is a crazy recluse who thinks a dude setting himself on fire would be the funniest thing he'd seen that week, and the Templar talks about killing the innocent as a byproduct of the job and being proud of that work.  She prays, but she was still torching them down.  There will be no noble cultures or gallant heroes and heroines.  Just highly skilled people doing horrible stuff for the best intentions.

I definitely get 'self-sacrifice' from all of them except the legionnaire. Perhaps it's better to say that I don't get 'blatantly evil' from the rest of them. But you make a good point.

I get the feeling all of the gods don't come from "Heaven" in fact based on the cryptic tree I would say the Gods run the gamut.

Crowfall: The Official Game of

crowfallwiki.com

The Centaur narrative talks about wanting to invade and conquer the Realms of Man. I'm guessing that each faction and race will have its own take on history and its own situated, subjective view of morality.

“Evil is relative…You can’t hang a sign on it. You can’t touch it or taste it or cut it with a sword. Evil depends on where you are standing, pointing your indicting finger.”

Glen Cook, The Black Company

“I believe in our side and theirs, with the good and evil decided after the fact, by those who survive. Among men you seldom find the good with one standard and the shadow with another.”

Glen Cook, Shadows Linger

Edited by soulein

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

This community will never cease to amaze me at how weak willed and sensitive some people are, my goodness. 

Ah, yes. Those weak-willed people, going forth and making vigorous arguments in favor of their position. It's amazing how weak their will is. I'm impressed their will doesn't shatter from all of that using their will to incite to discussion they're doing. Why, someone of stronger will would... what? Not speak their mind?

If everyone was a good guy, you wouldn't have an incentive for PvP, just My Little Pony Online. Different tropes for different folks.

Fae in fiction and fantasy are very rarely the Fairy Godmother pansies, they're dark, terrifying things. Think Hellboy 2, Golden Army type stuff. Think the first five minutes of a Supernatural episode. Faeries abduct children and make them serve as slaves. There's all kinds of different nasty races in fiction and fantasy, and those are the ones I'd rather see. 

I like the description. It's dark, it's eery, it suggests some real motivations for... oh, I don't know, giant effing wars? 

Ok, somebody please list out all of the politically correct characters video game companies are allowed to use. 

Dwarves. Good'ol traditions and hard work!

But anyone else noticing a LOT more of this talk in games lately? The Heroes of Might and Magic 7 community is bat poorly made socks insanely full of sexist rants because too many units are female..

It's ****ed up, but I'm totally fine with the fae being ****ed up. Remember Aerynth's elves? Or the Cleansing Flame? It's not exactly radical to have child-abusing fae, either, looking at the myths of the British Isles in particular. The misandry adds an extra dimension to it that seems appropriate. And topical.

Edited by saerain

I definitely get 'self-sacrifice' from all of them except the legionnaire. Perhaps it's better to say that I don't get 'blatantly evil' from the rest of them. But you make a good point.

Not blatantly evil, they are doing the whole sacrifice for the greater good thing.  Males have an inherent weakness and depravity that causes destruction on a scale wider than the Hunger and more insidious due to coming from within.  They nip that in the bud.  They built a whole society around the greater good.  

Honestly, none of this will matter once the game drops.  I've seen this movie before and trust me when I say that it will not matter in the slightest once people start logging in and building their walls and fighting over spawns.  Just some flavor about why there isn't a male skin.

Er, what's "edging"?