Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Einlanser

Fae, Sexism, And So On.

Take all the fae thing and reverse it. Men killing women at birth, slaving'em just to be r.a.p.e.d, used and killed. All the hate... This game would be just banned, demonized, sued, maybe even facing jail.

I hate double standards and how hypocrite a society can be towards this topic. It's ok if women do horrible things to men but men doing those things to women... well better don't even mention it cause you can get yourself into serious trouble. People accepts the fae assasin lore but then complain about sexualized armors. Hypocrisy and double standards, some of the worst cancers in this world.

Take all the fae thing and reverse it. Men killing women at birth, slaving'em just to be r.a.p.e.d, used and killed. All the hate... This game would be just banned, demonized, sued, maybe even facing jail.

I hate double standards ...

I hear where you're coming from. The reason why it's a double standard is because the reverse is what's happening every day in many, many places. They're still stoning female adulterers in Middle East. In India and China they're still killing female infants at birth. Those are the things that are happening. Today, in 2015.

So that's why we have the double standards you've described.

The uproar this character caused is a drop in the bucket of real world violence.

Perhaps we all who read the story feel the righteous indignation that many women have learned to cope with. I see this sort of a blessing, now we know how they must feel.

Oh, don't get me wrong, the character is still reprehensible. But I applaud the effort that the devs made to put us all in front of a mirror.

Two wrongs don't make a right. But this sort of behavior is sobering to think about.

Greatswords for Frostweavers 2015! For great justice! And swords.

P.S. I like swords.

Only on the Internet is the gratuitously sexualized lady assassin character somehow evidence of the oppression of males

You don't understand how hard we got it in scoety.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

I love that we almost have two crystallized groups of people who somehow believe this character was made to appeal to a group they hate seeing stuff appeal to, but at the same time is like. One change away from being a cool character concept.

One group seems to think it's basically 'kill all men' in the purest form, and thus will be a huge hit amongst the "radical feminists taking over gaming". Or, I mean. It would have if they made her less sexy. Or made her like a minority wearing practical armor or something.

The other camp feels it's just yet another another physically strong character designed visually to appeal to the straight white male audience, and would be the absolute darling of pretty much all of the dudes on the forums if they made her personality sexy for more of them.

I hope they don't water down the character or the race and make either of them "safer". It'd be way too easy to turn the character into a strong independent (but practical in her attire!) lady assassin that kills anyone for the right price, or 'just for the fun of it', or whatever. I say: Who cares that it's kinda controversial, and makes some people feel uncomfortable. Maybe this is a character that *should* make some people feel a little uncomfortable. She's fighting for the bad guys after all.

Edited by drakkus

The second-to-last thing I want is developers censoring themselves because of people complaining about real-world social issues. The last thing I want is one-way censorship. Let's see if they suspiciously pull their punches when dealing with certain groups and not others before we jump to conclusions.

Interesting as I find this world, nothing comes close to the endless possibilities in the real world scenario of GOOD V.S. EVIL! Both completely equal sides fighting on polar extremes. One full off good knowing that their actions all carry virtue and value whilst a nasty race of parasites make less than valuable maneuvers to turn everything to evil.

From that context this game falls into a niche of what is GOOD VS EVIL! It's peoples in a particular setting where some fight for different kinds of good because that's all they know and some maybe more chaotic virtues because of a lack of a better understanding. I like the bigger world story but even a focused world story like this can hold extraordinary lessons and exciting situations. Experience builds character!

Furthermore having seen the character screen there is just so much more we've yet to see and as a result I take my opinions and say there's going to be a decent amount of story to this game with clear elements of good versus evil and I think role players are going to love the choices not to mention the kinks of gameplay mechanics.

-First imrpessions of Assassins, they had better have a good story for hating men, maybe all men in this world are completely savage. I would like that idea!

-Templar seem honest salt to the earth people! I like this simplicity of right vs wrong. For all we know Assassins might be like a newly born race that know little to nothing about the world and had somehow been sullied by some savage males thus explaining this hatred they carry.

-Forgemasters are top dog in my books, seem to share much in common with the Templar way of "doing work".

-Legionnaire are very spartan, very 300, warrior's creed honor and all that. I like!

Mark my words Assassins Fae are a newby race sullied by some kind of man and thus their developed hatred.

Edited by trugamer

-Truthe Yashikawa

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild.  Welcome Home.

http://crowfall.shivtr.com/

I hear where you're coming from. The reason why it's a double standard is because the reverse is what's happening every day in many, many places. They're still stoning female adulterers in Middle East. In India and China they're still killing female infants at birth. Those are the things that are happening. Today, in 2015.

So that's why we have the double standards you've described.

The uproar this character caused is a drop in the bucket of real world violence.

Perhaps we all who read the story feel the righteous indignation that many women have learned to cope with. I see this sort of a blessing, now we know how they must feel.

Oh, don't get me wrong, the character is still reprehensible. But I applaud the effort that the devs made to put us all in front of a mirror.

Two wrongs don't make a right. But this sort of behavior is sobering to think about.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_relative_privation

Unless I am misunderstanding you.

There also is something to say about the assumption that no one who could be "upset" with this character couldn't also already be aware of the struggles of women in many third world countries.  I mean, I think most people would be aware of these things; there should be nothing "sobering" about it.  That doesn't mean they can't simultaneously be offended by this character, insofar as one can/should be offended by a fictional character (which is to say, very little if at all).

Edited by Maverick827

It's a fantasy culture, gender inequality and abuse are a part of real history, and still exist in parts of the world, in a medieval fantasy with genuine mystical influence and various cultures, having a hostile and wicked culture is more natural than not. Pretending everyone's a hero in a game which clearly draws from the moral dark grey pallet of song of ice and fire is narrow at best.

Now with the "noble" knight reveal, it's even more apparent. It's your own expectations which are misguided... Nobody complains about the deep seeded racism, sexism, and villainy in GoT because it's clearly what makes the theme rich in detail. If you want heroism, they got a game for that... LotRO.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Yeah, that's what Spartans were known for...

I don't think the point of the Fae were to introduce baby killing into Lore and create characters to fit the Lore. I'm going to assume you're trolling. Not sure why I even took the bait. FML

Technically I'm not trolling. I was basing it off the start of the movie 300 where if a child was born win an obvious weakness they left it to die. In 300 they made it look like they threw it off a cliff, but that couldn't have been the case since that one hunchback guy was picked up by his mother after he was abandoned. Anyway not a troll, and I wasn't originally going to add in the baby killing part, but it popped into my head when talking about the Spartan male dominated society because of the movie. 

This thread's still going?

FrancoYayatlunch.gif

I said you were obviously trolling because no one is stupid enough to put baby killing in a video game.

Did you read the Fae backstory?...Jesus....they ARE putting baby killing in the game. It may be in the lore, but the lore is part of the game. That was the point.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_relative_privation

Unless I am misunderstanding you.

There also is something to say about the assumption that no one who could be "upset" with this character couldn't also already be aware of the struggles of women in many third world countries.  I mean, I think most people would be aware of these things; there should be nothing "sobering" about it.  That doesn't mean they can't simultaneously be offended by this character, insofar as one can/should be offended by a fictional character (which is to say, very little if at all).

It's an excellent and relevant fallacy to bring up here, but that's not what I meant. Are we aware of women's struggles somewhere else, far, far away? Sure.

But we didn't have a chance to experience them first hand. None of us here were killed as an infant. Most likely, most of us haven't been assaulted, either.

So the reason why I brought this topic in, was about self-analysis. This character tends to make people feel uneasy if not downright disturbed. 

So I thought to myself, if I were a female gamer dealing with mouthbreathing misogynists in vent, that's what it would feel like. I thought that the story was a clever role reversal, and the sting of the "damn this is just not right", where the lore suggests male suffering and female sexist violence, was an interesting slap in the face. Does that make sense?

Greatswords for Frostweavers 2015! For great justice! And swords.

P.S. I like swords.