Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Einlanser

Fae, Sexism, And So On.

I get what you're saying, but I disagree that the struggles of first world female gamers in any way entitle them to understand the struggles of women in the third world any more than first world men could.

I think the bugbear here is simply that people tend not to like hypocrisy, and a lot of gamers over the past few months have been bombarded with certain groups complaining about certain things, and knowing that no one will similarly care about this role reversal in the same way can be pretty demoralizing for some.  

It's not the fact that it exists in the first place that is bothersome, it's the fact that it exists and no one will care, and that no one will care that no one will care, that can make some people uncomfortable.

I have no problem with the lore behind this character. It's fiction. Who cares.

The only annoying part is that if they used a reverse stereotype, like the centaur saying weak-willed women do not belong in their strong and fierce society and should all be enslaved or killed, lots of people would unjustifiably flip the custard out. Obviously they'll never do that though.

Haha yes. I thought about the same. If there was a race who killed their women after they have given birth since they have outlived their usefulness and claimed it was for the greater good of the race because of some cooky explanation the forum would go up (or possibly down) in flames. There's double standard in works here. Yet, strangely I find her high heels more annoying and objectionate than the fiction about slaying men. I think I've been trained well...

One group seems to think it's basically 'kill all men' in the purest form, and thus will be a huge hit amongst the "radical feminists taking over gaming". Or, I mean. It would have if they made her less sexy. Or made her like a minority wearing practical armor or something.

I'd like to point out that the women who have all-men-must-die mentality are hardly feminists. They are psychopaths if they really believe in that. It's not like such extreme ideals would ever endear anyone to them or improve status of women.

Unfortunately too many feminists are adopting shame tactics and use extreme examples when they "educate" people. Few are willing to change their opinion when the natural reaction to shaming is to get disgruntled which usually leads to the opposite reaction. It's a bit like that teacher who made students feel stupid when they did not know the answer. What were they thinking? That it somehow makes the person "see the light" and work harder instead of them getting disgruntled and do the exact opposite just out of spite? Hats off to those feminists who are patient, smart, and know how to get people on their side. Actually hats off to all such people regardless of gender. They are too few.

Edit: Spelling...

Edited by Northie

Bump, because more must be said about this topic and we may have missed some new insight that NO ONE BUT YOU can provide.  Keep it going guys, this is super interesting and complicated!

Er, what's "edging"?

Bump, because more must be said about this topic and we may have missed some new insight that NO ONE BUT YOU can provide.  Keep it going guys, this is super interesting and complicated!

Did you have anything to actually add?

I think the original poster had a point to make, and it was made.

So I thought to myself, if I were a female gamer dealing with mouthbreathing misogynists in vent, that's what it would feel like. I thought that the story was a clever role reversal, and the sting of the "damn this is just not right", where the lore suggests male suffering and female sexist violence, was an interesting slap in the face. Does that make sense?

I like this point very much. We see them on Vent, in forums, in public spaces. You know, relations of the MRA dudes who live on Reddit and 4Chan, Gamergaters and rrrape-deniers. Those are likely the sort of people who need to whine over the fae backstory. A strong female character is always perceived as a threat by certain types of people. 

Life must be difficult for an entitled white male in the 3rd world. So much to fear, so little time. 

I find it interesting that there's such a kerfuffle over the Fae story. 

Edited by iridianshadowweaver

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

Sorry, page 2.  Confirmation of resolution occurred on page 3.

So why bump it?

I don't think there's any "kerfuffle," it was one person who expressed an opinion. There are some who agree, and some who don't.

Crowfall seems to be about war and a world where the sun shines (and we have THE BANNER SAGA to thank for showing us how the world can be perfectly well lit and still be dark) and therefore there will be more stories about how people in it are messed up and do horrible things.

It'll be rough for anyone who gets triggered by its stories. We can be fair and acknowledge that much.

Why bump a thread when it is at the top of the board list, he asks. People are free to agree and disagree he says, as if that wasn't the biggest cop-out to ever come out of a failed marriage. He talks about stories as if those will ultimately amount to anything(which is ADORABLE). EMOTIONAL PEOPLE ARE EMOTIONAL HE ENDETH THE LESSON!

Er, what's "edging"?

Why bump a thread when it is at the top of the board list, he asks. People are free to agree and disagree he says, as if that wasn't the biggest cop-out to ever come out of a failed marriage. He talks about stories as if those will ultimately amount to anything(which is ADORABLE). EMOTIONAL PEOPLE ARE EMOTIONAL HE ENDETH THE LESSON!

You are bad and should feel bad.

You love it and me EMBRACE YOUR LOVE MisterPendantic! As a side note, was MrPendantic taken, because honestly that would be more convenient to type on my phone here

Er, what's "edging"?

Did you read the Fae backstory?...Jesus....they ARE putting baby killing in the game. It may be in the lore, but the lore is part of the game. That was the point.

Have you played a video game? Not everything from the Lore is going to make it into the game. You think that if you chose Fae, the intro to your character is you being pushed out of a vagina into the world and watching your twin get shanked? Be realistic.

You think that if you chose Fae, the intro to your character is you being pushed out of a vagina into the world and watching your twin get shanked?

It's like Fallout 3 character creation, but even more brutal and explicit.

I like this point very much. We see them on Vent, in forums, in public spaces. You know, relations of the MRA dudes who live on Reddit and 4Chan, Gamergaters and rrrape-deniers. Those are likely the people who need to whine over the fae backstory. A strong female character is always perceived as a thread by certain types of people. 

Life must be difficult for an entitled white male in the 3rd world. So much to fear, so little time. 

I find it interesting that there's such a kerfuffle over the Fae story.

Is this satire?

Is this satire?

I suppose that depends on your opinion of the matter of strong female characters with creepy back stories.   

Seriously, I like the Fae character, and I think the crying about the creepy back story and all this commentary about "if a male-only society was portrayed in the same way...blah, blah, blah" are a bit silly and even uninformed about world history. That male-dominance story has been around for a very long time, eh?

I've said in previous threads on related topics that there is historical and literary precedent for female-only societies. Surely no one in these forums would suggest that we censor the ancient Greek historians, playwrights, and poets' literature because they portray the Amazonian culture? Why would we censor those ideas in a game?  

Edited by iridianshadowweaver

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

And while I would consider this a strong female character, because women are just as capable of being evil and antagonists, many only apply that term to "positive role models," of which I hope this would not be one for obvious reasons.

Edited by Maverick827

Ok, somebody please list out all of the politically correct characters video game companies are allowed to use. 

Troll Shadowknight and Erudite Paladin. If you know you know.