Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Venark

Playtest time question

So you posted on Twitter that Test servers would be going down at 6 pm CDT, yet your playtest schedule on the website has it going through the weekend, Which of the two things that was posted by the same company is correct?

6 minutes ago, ACE_Jackal said:

https://crowfall.com/en/playtest-schedule/

That shows it ending today and starting up again this weekend. Which is (in all likelihood) correct. Sometimes if things are going really well we'll decide to extend a test.

Actually, it seems to show the test not ending until tomorrow. "Fri, August 4, 5:00pm – Thu, August 10, 12:30am"

7Dmk828.png

IhhQKY6.gif

Out of curiosity, is there a reason not to leave them up at this point? It facilitates testing and encourages population. 

Better communication about what to expect around these tests would be helpful. It's hard to know when we should be consuming imports/exports at this point, or when we'll be able to test things. 

Edited by Orleans

Free Ginko.

13 minutes ago, ACE_Jackal said:

@Jah

Weird! Wonder if it's a web cache issue on my side. Apologies, @Venark!

5OI8Zaa.png

It occurs to me that 12:30 AM on Thursday for me in Eastern Time is still Wednesday for you in Central Time...

IhhQKY6.gif

6 minutes ago, Orleans said:

Out of curiosity, is there a reason not to leave them up at this point? It facilitates testing and encourages population. 

Better communication about what to expect around these tests would be helpful. It's hard to know when we should be consuming imports/exports at this point, or when we'll be able to test things. 

The reason not to leave them up is that the TEST environment will function much like the old patches did: there'll be a patch put out for the weekend that people can hop in specifically for testing purposes, then it'll be taken down, bug fixes will be put in, and it'll be re-released for testing again.

I know it's frustrating to not know when it's a good time to use up your imports/exports, but don't get too attached to anything on TEST. That'll be the environment that sees the most wipes. Things will also get into a better groove once we've used LIVE and TEST a bit more; this split environment system is really new, after all.

1 minute ago, Jah said:

It occurs to me that 12:30 AM on Thursday for me in Eastern Time is still Wednesday for you in Central Time...

Darn time zones always mess me up.

Jack Kirby
Associate Writer/Customer Service Lead

As it happened, it ended 10 minutes early, right as I was doing a final combine with my first Amazing Limb and Amazing Heel. Schedules only work if they are adhered to. :(

Those bug reports aren't going to submit themselves. I have zero motivation to test what I'd planned to test now. Kicks in the face like that are not fun.

21 minutes ago, ACE_Jackal said:

The reason not to leave them up is that the TEST environment will function much like the old patches did: there'll be a patch put out for the weekend that people can hop in specifically for testing purposes, then it'll be taken down, bug fixes will be put in, and it'll be re-released for testing again.

I know it's frustrating to not know when it's a good time to use up your imports/exports, but don't get too attached to anything on TEST. That'll be the environment that sees the most wipes. Things will also get into a better groove once we've used LIVE and TEST a bit more; this split environment system is really new, after all.

Darn time zones always mess me up.

I'm attached to my time. It provides Crowfall no value for me to grind new gear every weekend, and I definitely don't enjoy it. I would prefer to spend my time testing and providing feedback, or having fun and relaxing. 

I don't mind wipes when necessary. All I'm asking for is communication about whether banks and/or inventories will be wiped, so that we can plan accordingly. It doesn't need to be 100% accurate, we understand these things can and will change. Just your best guess. Not communicating this information is disrespectful of our time and contributions. 

I understand the intent of the TEST environment, but you're not quite there yet. In the interim, why can't the TEST environment servers be left up until a patch is ready? 

Edited by Orleans

Free Ginko.

Oh I don't care about the pixels at all. That's what makes this game fun: having PvP matter. 

But right now we're trying to help with testing, and all that is required is communication, so why not? 

Free Ginko.

To be clear, what I'm asking for is:

Before the end of each playtest, communicate to the community whether you expect to wipe the inventories on TT/BB or Spirit Banks for the following playtest.

Again, this doesn't need to be set in stone, just an idea of what your plans are will go a long way. I expect that you'll continue to use this testing environment and having wipes, so there is long-term value from initiating this process. 

This will enable us to conserve the effort we've already put into preparing to test. It really isn't viable to test anything in a group setting without at least a slag weapon.

Edited by Orleans

Free Ginko.

3 hours ago, Orleans said:

I understand the intent of the TEST environment, but you're not quite there yet. In the interim, why can't the TEST environment servers be left up until a patch is ready? 

Probably because leaving the servers up also costs money.

Just now, DocHollidaze said:

That may be true. That's why I'm asking. I have no idea how many instances each of these servers requires. 

Doc Holliday was an interesting character. 

Free Ginko.

55 minutes ago, DocHollidaze said:

I actually doubt that.  I can't speak to their specific Datacenter environment agreement but typical retail arrangements require colo customers to pay for space and power regardless if they use it or not.  That is unless they have a wholesale set up where they only pay for the power they use of course.  I would bet the servers need to come down so they can gather metrics and push tweaks to the servers but I could be wrong there as well.  

In any case I am sure they have good reason for the schedule.

1 hour ago, SoberSoul said:

Looks fine to me the play test schedule that is 

scroll up you will see the first set of screen shots that show how it was goofed and where they updated it.

14 hours ago, GRiPSViGiL said:

I actually doubt that.  I can't speak to their specific Datacenter environment agreement but typical retail arrangements require colo customers to pay for space and power regardless if they use it or not.  That is unless they have a wholesale set up where they only pay for the power they use of course.  I would bet the servers need to come down so they can gather metrics and push tweaks to the servers but I could be wrong there as well.  

In any case I am sure they have good reason for the schedule.

Software developers that pay for and manage actual hardware are doing it wrong.

In 2017 we use services like AWS to make use of virtualized cloud servers, where you pay for usage and compute units and not for a real piece of hardware.

1 hour ago, DocHollidaze said:

Software developers that pay for and manage actual hardware are doing it wrong.

In 2017 we use services like AWS to make use of virtualized cloud servers, where you pay for usage and compute units and not for a real piece of hardware.

It all depends on a company's needs.  I build 8-10 Megawatt datacenters all with my company for our needs and we only host a professional networking website as our primary bread winner without virtualiztion.  Of course we got acquired by Microsoft but that is another bag to open.  Perhaps, ArtCraft uses virtualization I can't say but I just wanted to point out it wouldn't necessarily save money turning off the servers.

Edited by GRiPSViGiL