Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any chance in hell of a Friendly Fire version? (Anti-idiot Zerg)

let's face it, any mmo that has come out recently, especially those with fast paced combat, has succumbed to mass idiot zergs, the type where its just people spamming as much aoe as they can and whoever brings more numbers wins.

Id hate to see crowfall go this way as well.

Is there any chance we can get a shard where Friendly Fire is on?

Then if zergs form they have to play calculated and strategically, not just a mindless wave of button mashing zombies.

18 hours ago, Archaegeo said:

let's face it, any mmo that has come out recently, especially those with fast paced combat, has succumbed to mass idiot zergs, the type where its just people spamming as much aoe as they can and whoever brings more numbers wins.

Then if zergs form they have to play calculated and strategically, not just a mindless wave of button mashing zombies.

1)  This is the internet.  That means the fantasy of an "anti-idiot" anything is just that.  A fantasy.  Heh-heh.  (I'm generalizing in good humour).

2)  Within context of a "zerg" being overwhelming numbers . . . that issue will always remain.  FF simply nudges "idiot zergs" to alter their formations some.  Greater numbers will still steamroll smaller numbers just as before, no change, no matter the . . . slight . . . nudge in the direction of consequence to sloppy greater numbers positioning, and thereby a slight nudge in the direction of opportunity for smaller numbers.

It's a slight influence, not some arbitrary game-play switch that nullifies zerging-greater-numbers now can't steamroll smaller numbers.

3)  Reinforcement to #2 above:  Consequence to "idiot zerging" will be immediate in the FF environment.  Thus, dumb groups will be rare.  It'll happen once or twice to someones, maybe, and they'll simply make the . . . slight adjustment . . . needed to continue with the Salient Maneuver:  Steamrolling smaller groups with a larger group.  That's the goal, that's the objective, THAT is the pertinent warfare dynamic on the map functionally for all parties involved, both victim and victor.

That it's done smartly or dumbly is simply emo driven charged language smoke screening.  In the end it's meaningless.   NUMBERS rolling smaller numbers will never change.  Not one wit.

It seems to me the "issue" of FF and it's affect on battles flexes around some in two different scenarios:  Small Group engagements versus Large Group engagements.  Where is it most beneficial vs less so, small or large?

FF can add flavor to combat, for those who want to play with it.  Assuming it's "balanced" I supposed given class profiles, DPS thresholds, prevelance of AOEs, influences from tab targetting vs what we will have - AIMING, etc.  But, there's nothing really "wrong" with having FF given what I think I'm hearing:  There will be bands where those CWs will have the option of FF.

So appearances currently suggest FF will be available in some bands.  Admittedly I'm assuming, but if that's the case, your wish will have already been granted. 

4)  Why are we discussing this again?  Shame on me.  Going back to Main Story Quest chaining . . . 

Edited by Bramble

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

Different campaign worlds will have different rulesets on how they deal with friendly fire. The current campaign world being tested (Tyranny map) is the 3-faction campaign. Full friendly fire immunities there, so you can expect it to be more zergy by default. The fact that the game has AoE caps for most things, AoE dmg in general isn't very impressive, and group kiting is difficult because of how CC and mobility work makes numbers even stronger. Dregs campaign will have some form or another of friendly fire, so that will help. Careless stacking of multiple groups in a fight without decent coordination could be disastrous. 

Edited by Rikutatis

18 hours ago, Archaegeo said:

I'll be real with you since a lot of people in this thread are misrepresenting the situation to you.

The chance of a full FF ruleset is not high right now.  I've inquired about it, the answer was not promising. 

Be it due to tech, or due to the complaints of less-skilled players who can't handle full FF, right now the most open version of FF you will get is where your group members are immune and everyone else is not.  Right now they are focusing on testing factions though where your entire faction is immune. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

20 hours ago, Archaegeo said:

Considering the massive number of AoE abilities in the game, all indicators point to probably not.

Full friendly fire in this game just isn't going to work with the combat and ability design. However I think there's a very good chance we'll see friendly fire happen to anyone not inside your 5 man group. We've seen this play out on the non-faction based servers in the past and it seems to be very playable.

The combat just isn't precise enough to have full friendly fire but I absolutely think it could be used to spread groups out and stop/nerf the power of large death ball groups. 

They've said they've got a solution to the nearest target thing. Just engineering time is the bottleneck as always. 

Even with all of those things changed the combat still isn't precise enough for full friendly fire and never was to begin with. 

14 minutes ago, Zybak said:

They've said they've got a solution to the nearest target thing. Just engineering time is the bottleneck as always. 

Even with all of those things changed the combat still isn't precise enough for full friendly fire and never was to begin with. 

i'd say there are also issues in scaling up beyond 5v5 too

Not gonna happen Iv been asking for this for a while now also. Everything is a massive AOE or a "Chant" or an instant heal. combat is way too bland right now and not setup at all for FF. Like iv been saying just gonna be a bunch of nutcupping zergs running around fist punching their keyboards throwing out huge unmissable spells.

Grief-super-small.png

https://twitch.TV/Badatron  

https://www.GriefGaming.pro

10 minutes ago, wor said:

Not gonna happen Iv been asking for this for a while now also. Everything is a massive AOE or a "Chant" or an instant heal. combat is way too bland right now and not setup at all for FF. Like iv been saying just gonna be a bunch of nutcupping zergs running around fist punching their keyboards throwing out huge unmissable spells.

i'd also say that currently single target burst rules the day. AoEs are just CC rather than damage. No "zerg busting" damage powers.

Edited by Tinnis
On 8/12/2017 at 0:00 PM, Archaegeo said:

It will never happen. It took me over a year to realize this. They lied and said we could have it in campaigns. They didn't design FF correctly into the game. It will never come and this game will be a spammy zerg fest.

There is Friendly Fire in Crowfall already on the FFA servers.

Only your 5-man group has FF immunity. Any "zerg" over 5 people needs to be careful about friendly fire.

Whether it will stay this way is unknown, but there is no reason to suppose they can't run Dregs campaigns with at least this level of Friendly Fire if people want them.

IhhQKY6.gif

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2017 at 2:29 AM, Jah said:

There is Friendly Fire in Crowfall already on the FFA servers.

Only your 5-man group has FF immunity. Any "zerg" over 5 people needs to be careful about friendly fire.

Whether it will stay this way is unknown, but there is no reason to suppose they can't run Dregs campaigns with at least this level of Friendly Fire if people want them.

How accurate is this?

Correct me please. FF is limited to, anyone in your current "party" will not be affected by your Damage skills if you were to target them, and anyone outside of that is considered "enemy" even if in the same guild,/clan?

(Obviously rules will depend on the CW you're playing in at release, but presently?)

I have not partied with anyone since the forced PvP groups test a year or so ago.

Thanks

Edited by cattboy

~ the one and only ~