Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ACE_JackalBark

Q&A LIVE: Power Trays and Projectiles - Official Discussion Thread

So I asked a question during the stream that I don't think @jtoddcoleman understood fully (though he did give an interesting answer so ??), and since it may be "a more @thomasblair or @mhalashace question" to quote JTodd, I'll reiterate it here and they can give the answer a shot if they like.

Q: At least one class currently seems like it won't get a ranged or stealth tray, so will that ultimately factor in when balance is a priority?

Blazzen correctly deduced I was referring specifically to the Templar here. It would be easy to assume that the answer to this question is yes but I wanted to breach the subject this early so that balancing this situation involves more than just power number adjustments. Perhaps additional power tray slots, or some other character facet, could be a part of the solution to the balancing act here and I wanted to make sure that was a part of the current stage where design of the Templar could be more maleable.

Thanks for your time, team.

Hi, I'm moneda.

s1tKI24.png

50 minutes ago, moneda said:

Q: At least one class currently seems like it won't get a ranged or stealth tray, so will that ultimately factor in when balance is a priority?

Blazzen correctly deduced I was referring specifically to the Templar here.

Also applicable in a druid vs cleric comparison as well. [e.g. do cleric start with ranged, but unlock a melee one with master of hammer etc]

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

If Tblair has time I'd like to hear his thoughts on raycasts and projectiles specifically in that some players think the aiming in this game is a bit too generous and easy.  I think some are hoping for a lot more manual aim and lots of verticality on ranged abilities. 

Are there tech limitations?  Is it a philosophical choice?  Some of us are curious.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

5 hours ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

If Tblair has time I'd like to hear his thoughts on raycasts and projectiles specifically in that some players think the aiming in this game is a bit too generous and easy.  I think some are hoping for a lot more manual aim and lots of verticality on ranged abilities. 

Are there tech limitations?  Is it a philosophical choice?  Some of us are curious.

The only thing I can contribute here is that I believe some of the targeting changes that were made recently were admittedly over-generous, and that they will be tightened over time.

This doesn't answer the question, though. I'm curious too. As it stands, fighting in non-Faction campaign worlds is going to be chaotic and very challenging. Even with just 10x10 this weekend, especially without guild tags or identifiers, it was basically up to nameplate memorization. 

It's especially obvious with things like Nature's Avatar, where there is a long delay when you accidentally target the wrong ally. Also very difficult to even tell if you have it on the right person. 

Edited by Orleans

Free Ginko.

12 hours ago, Tinnis said:

Also applicable in a druid vs cleric comparison as well. [e.g. do cleric start with ranged, but unlock a melee one with master of hammer etc]

That is something I'd like to know as well. It seems like it would only be fair to do that, but then again master of Hammers doesn't provide a Melee Basic attack does it (I haven't tested it)?

13 hours ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

They talked a bit about that in the "CROWFALL: PRE-ALPHA 5 LIVE!" video on August 8. I distinctly remember Twix bars around minute 35.

5 hours ago, BDr said:

They talked a bit about that in the "CROWFALL: PRE-ALPHA 5 LIVE!" video on August 8. I distinctly remember Twix bars around minute 35.

I feel like they didn't really touch on it all that well, and if I recall it was something along the lines of "we shrunk the twix bar and people got upset that it was too hard so we made them fatter again".  I'd personally like to hear more of their thoughts on the matter, but they are busy and I don't have a false sense of entitlement so I don't expect to, but it would be nice.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

1 hour ago, blazzen said:

Why is myrm net a ray cast but champion hurlbat a projectile? As much as I'd love to have real projectiles in Crowfall they don't feel as good as raycasts at least in the current game state.

The animation for net needs to be longer. It's all but impossible to dodge, even when you know it's coming.

I'd say the hurlbat is a far more appropriate ray cast than the net, but a longer animation at least would allow some counter-play.

Enjoying the video..

One of the companies I own produces animation.

Quick question.  Why not use motion capture to speed up the animation process?

www.lotd.org       pking and siege pvp since 1995

15 minutes ago, coolwaters said:

The animation for net needs to be longer. It's all but impossible to dodge, even when you know it's coming.

I'd say the hurlbat is a far more appropriate ray cast than the net, but a longer animation at least would allow some counter-play.

It probably grabs the target at the start of the animation instead of the end which is why it seems impossible to dodge. 

Currently there is a huge difference between a dual and single class class for both build variety and interesting gameplay options. [and definately a major consideration in comparing 'similar' classes]

e.g. cleric vs druid, knight vs templar, assassin vs duelist, ranger vs confessor/frostweaver etc

Will a ranged tray unlocked by a weapon or major discipline be restricted, like druid life/death or a stealth tray, to *only* accept "bow powers" and or only have a small limited number of slots compared to a 'normal' sized tray?

Because at this point, any "single tray class" that can equip a bow discpline, surely would do so even if they did not use any of the bow powers, and just throw a bunch of race, class or other discipline powers in that new tray?

How will "base bow range" compare between native and secondary bows? e.g. will it be Longbows for rangers and Shortbows for secondary users?

To clear it up for some people as it currently stands:

The following can access bows: Knight, Ranger, Assassin, Myrmidon, Champion

(native: ranger
weapon discipline: master of bows or major: arcane archer and sharpshooter)

The following can access a stealth tray: Assassin, Duelist, Ranger (assumed)

The following appears to only ever have one tray:

(Frostweaver assumed but unknown)
Confessor (ranged)
Templar (melee)
Cleric (ranged)

The following can get two trays:

Knight (melee and bow)
Duelist ("melee" and stealth)
Myrm (melee and bow)
Champ (melee and bow)
Druid (melee and bow)

The following can get three trays (melee, bow, stealth)

Assassin
Ranger (assumed)

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

3 hours ago, Tinnis said:

Currently there is a huge difference between a dual and single class class for both build variety and interesting gameplay options. [and definately a major consideration in comparing 'similar' classes]

e.g. cleric vs druid, knight vs templar, assassin vs duelist, ranger vs confessor/frostweaver etc

Will a ranged tray unlocked by a weapon or major discipline be restricted, like druid life/death or a stealth tray, to *only* accept "bow powers" and or only have a small limited number of slots compared to a 'normal' sized tray?

Because at this point, any "single tray class" that can equip a bow discpline, surely would do so even if they did not use any of the bow powers, and just throw a bunch of race, class or other discipline powers in that new tray?

How will "base bow range" compare between native and secondary bows? e.g. will it be Longbows for rangers and Shortbows for secondary users?

To clear it up for some people as it currently stands:

The following can access bows: Knight, Ranger, Assassin, Myrmidon, Champion

(native: ranger
weapon discipline: master of bows or major: arcane archer and sharpshooter)

The following can access a stealth tray: Assassin, Duelist, Ranger (assumed)

The following appears to only ever have one tray:

(Frostweaver assumed but unknown)
Confessor (ranged)
Templar (melee)
Cleric (ranged)

The following can get two trays:

Knight (melee and bow)
Duelist ("melee" and stealth)
Myrm (melee and bow)
Champ (melee and bow)
Druid (melee and bow)

The following can get three trays (melee, bow, stealth)

Assassin
Ranger (assumed)

Also tray wise they can not currently access a ranged tray,  but duelists with master of pistols can slot a ranged auto,  should that be treated as a ranged tray?  

And then the interesting question becomes do you lock out melee finishers like the bleed or just require players be smart enough to understand it requires melee and allow it on the ranged tray. 

Can't wait for 5.3 buggy or not when it hits test as I can't wait for all this tech since 5.2 which is quite fun but missing alot of toys for me to try and break =}