Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kraahk

Gamescom Stream Q&A Summary #1 (23.08.)

So, we had a nice livestream today with an open Q&A. Here are the questions and the answers.

General

jtoddcoleman : For next 24 hours, 33% discount on Bronze Bundle. Get it while it... lasts? is hot? something.

jtoddcoleman: In general, I need to start answering more things with "post launch", if we ever want to launch

Q: 5.3 when? Thought they'd come at the same time as the R/C split
A: no, we've been pushing to get CW polished, and 5.3 will destabilize everything. Here is the order of operations: 1) get past gamescom 2) get our first real campaign worlds up, with short timeframes (1 week) 3) get 5.3 out to you guys to start testing

Q: With the 5.3 skill wipe is there going to be another 2+ week headstart for only alpha 1.2 players or with the lower test population of late will it be open to more packages
A: We haven't actually talked through exactly when the next wipe will happen. that last one was actually because we pulled an OLD copy of the skill tree over, and hopefully we can avoid that going forward.

Q: Will the Live Server universe get an update before 5.3?
A: You know, I actually don't know what the roll-out plan is relating to 5.2.x and 5.3, will have to coordinate with BD and GW, because it's always more complicated than it seems at first glance.

Q: Did you finally found a nice sitting position for our beloved centaurs ?
A: no, actually. they've gotten worse.

Q: If we sign a petition can we get coolwaters put in a little stronger than even the fallen hero?
A: I saw that. I will post something when I get back. I need some time and focus to get my thoughts on paper.

Gamescom

Q: How is the reception to Crowfall at the convention?
A: It's been incredibly well received. I had (not kidding) like 12+ interviews today. we had a line outside the booth all day. It's funny, because I forget how much stuff the "average" player doesn't understand/know about CF.

Q: Going to be able to stream in other days....?
A: We'll see! I hope so.

Q: are u showing the game as it is ..like on test servers or have you made like a "GC version" ?
A:  Gamescom verion is 5.2.1. you have to submit in advance of show.

Campaign Worlds

Q : When we get our 1st CW will the map be the current size or will it be bigger?
A : First CW will be like current map (the larger one, not tiny tyranny)

Q:  Will roads enable faster movement?
A: I definitely want to provide a benefit for roads, but I don't really want to offer too many speed ups for players because it can lead to issues once they stack. my current thought is to offer a speed benefits to PACK and CARAVAN animals on the roads, to speed them up and make it more attractive as a means of moving building materials ...with the obvious side effect of increased risk

Q: Would it be possible for Strongholds to grant players of the owning faction who are nearby a buff, similar to what a Bard's song does for a group, or what SB's spires did?
A: Not directly, but we do have some plans (related to relics) that would be similar to that.

Q: Any chance of upping the 10 import/export limit? Maybe with a change to spirit bank only working near a local bank? Trying to save the loot at the end of the test is a massive chore.
A: Great point on the spirit bank. let me talk to TB about that one. And we definitely could up those limits. I would love to put a regen on them, so they max at 10/10 but they reset based on time or game activity.
Q: An interesting way to increase the 10/10 limit and drive more activity to the Tug of War would be to tie the number to the slider.
A: Agree! that would be even better
Q: So the more forts you own the more you can import export? still doesn't help the fact that the limit of 10 is really low. 1 set of gear and a weapon is 5... meaning 5 for resources. and guilds that actually farm it typically have more than 5 stacks of each type of resource
A: If you guys feel (in general) that more imports/exports would be better, I have no problem increasing the numbers. that would be a trivial thing to do (it's just a variable!)

Q : Does the tech exist in the 5.2.4 build to make it possible for Stronghold Bank chests to only be usable by the faction that owns the Stronghold?
A : Great question, I actually thought it worked that way. I'll have to find out if it's a flag we can set.

Q: After release will we have access to all campaign worlds types or can we expect to see them introduced via packages through the store?
A: No limitation to CW types. I could imagine us doing some kind of a tournament with a separate buy-in, but nothing planned for that right now

Q: How is the faction bar experiment going? Are we going to see different win conditions in this build or next? I personally find the bar ... unfulfilling
A: I want to try it on a real CW map, but we already have "King of the Hill" mode ready to go

Q: As a designer, have you given any thought to possible ways to introduce persistence to the 'throne war' that is at a scale larger than campaigns?
A: Eventually, I'd love to try out some campaigns that are more "sports" like in approach. For example:  "This Campaign runs every evening from 6pm to 9pm CST, only." or "This Campaign allows each guild to send in a roster of 20 champions, and they start with a Fort. It's an elimination world; lose all your land and your roster is out"
Q: Neat idea but that seems like something at the opposite end of the kind of persistence I was referring to. :)
A: I have something coming on that "involvement of the Gods" topic

Q: Can you elaborate on mounts and their use/presence in the Crowfall campaigns. As killable "items" are they also lootable etc?
A: So mounts & pets & caravan animals is another design that needs a full pass now that we are here, about to implement. You guys see my pattern now, I'm sure: get the initial idea on paper, sketched in broad strokes, then don't touch it again until you get close enough to see it. Then rebuild it, knowing everything that you now know, that achieves the spirit of the original idea in the best/most efficient way possible.

Q : With the ability already in game to Warp spirit crows back to the temples. why not warp non faction players in beachheads out of the beachhead?
A : I'm not sure what you are asking exactly, but in the next build it the issue of beachhead camping will be addressed better
Q:  If we could just lock out other factions from entering the beachhead of other factions that would solve that issue.
A: Next build (I hope) we should have a hunger effect on any players who sneak into an enemy beachhead

Q: I am constantly surprised at how many completely new players I see in the test every weekend. One thing which befalls all of them is losing their first set of gear to having used the wrong statue to respawn. Any way this consequence could be made clearer in game via tooltips or some-such on the statues themselves?
A: The entire new character and respawn flow needs another pass. It just needs to be cleaned up.

Eternal Kingdoms

Q: When can we expect to see the new castle pieces added to the current castle packages?
A: Probably in the 5.3, we've got some issues importing data in 5.2 because all of the tables changed for R/C

Q: Is the plan for EK's to have PVP flag for the whole EK only. Or will we be able to set it up by Parcel?
A: We're going to start with whole world first, it's a good idea though so I'll try and keep it in mind

Q: will there be the ability to sub-divid the EK to non-public areas but keep the general area 'open'
A: I would rather find a way to allow you to use walls to restrict access... artificial boundaries seem lame

Q:  Will you make the maps less "square" than current ones e.g. land branches into "zones"
A : Probably keep the square grids, but I really want to get "linking" of EK grids in -- which would mean you could make different shapes by connecting them

Q : If a fort "supports" 10 players, does this refer to vassals (so there can be 10 houses but more tennants)?
A : It's actually the reverse -- the player limit determines who can own / place buildings there. players are not limited to 1 building each. It depends on the building capacity, and upgrading the rank = more buildings in the same space. you can divide them up among players as you like.

Q : I understand the chicken ticker nightmare will stay in CWs but is there a possibility to have it removed/disabled in the EKs? not really fun to stop everything to deforest the EK every 10 minutes
A : good point. also seems like a good potential relic effect for a monarch to install in their EK

Q: With the placement of target dummies in the beachhead. Will this mean the target dummy system/EK asset be done in the near future? Possibly 5.3 or earlier?
A: Yeah it's also likely a 5.3 thing, for the same aforementioned issue with exporting our design tables

CW/EK mix

Q: Will we ever be able to build across parcels in a CW?
A: No plan for cross-parcel, because it means that we can't move parcels in real time. maybe if we forced you to remove any offending pieces PRIOR to moving the parcel?
Q: Even in a cw world where parcels cannot move?
A: TBH I haven't really thought thru the implications. I like the idea of a great wall of china, though, so agree it would be cool

Q: And will we ever be able to build roads via hippos? :)
A: Eventually I think it would be great to add a system to paint roads, but that's not in the plan for launch. I think we'll start with "road tile parcels" (1x1s) that you can place

Q : Will relics in the EK affect gameplay in CWs? If so, how? (Trying to see if EKs will have a use beyond setting up shops to sell to people going into CWs that allow imports)
A : I feel the same way about the vassals system, actually. So I want to take another look at the relic design. SO MUCH has changed since we wrote that, I think it needs a complete pass.

Q: Will their be none player controlled defenses added to game eg towers ?
A: Yes, we need to allow for NPC guards

Q: Will we see game mechanics like toxic water in swamp parcels which may damage players over time if they traverse it ?
A: Yes, I definitely want environmental spell effects / bufs & debufs

Q: How do you envision thralls in the world? Will they have the same 'model' and different names? Will we enter combat with them - or harvest like a node? Will they be static/predictable to spawn?
A: We definitely need some "spirit thralls" (think spirit bear effect) but I'm actually thinking we might want hirelings, too -- mortals who look like, well, mortals.
Q: Do we have to fight them to capture? will they roam the map or be static spawns?
A: 1) probably 2) undecided  2) (or both)

Q: I recently played a game which had meteors that fell from the sky, which introduced a dynamic event and focus for conflict over the rare resources - would CF's mechanics allow for such a thing?
A: The seasons system is going to be our first stab at environmental adjustments. events are definitely possible, but post-launch.

Q: Can you share any progress about the taxes/maintenance concept with us?
A: Oddly, I have made progress on Tariffs, now that Import/Export is settled. But not maintenance.

Q: Once the Class/Race split finished will the art team start working on the Kickstarter, 2016, 2017 EK asset skins?
A: those are separate tracks; environment artists aren't part of R/C split. We'll get to that stuff, but my priority right now is to finish out this first archetype set and then move on to adventuring areas (of which we are SORELY lacking)
Q: Adventuring areas?
A: I feel the lack of adventuring areas as keenly as I feel the lack of TOTINOS PIZZA ROLLS

Combat & Skills

Durenthal : 5.3 makes combat systems-complete. Can we expect the devs to start paying more attention to balance at that point?
jtoddcoleman : Yes, but don't assume that life becomes "easy" for the designers. they're going to be under the boot.

Q : Any chance of using the lame-duck/zombie 5.1 Live server to test a high-level skill training environment, by resetting skill training to max for all players? Get some use out of it while we wait for it's repurposing.
A : Not opposed to a "max skill" test. great idea.

Guilds

Q: So we keep hearing that guild support is working in one of the dev branches. Any ETA on this?
A: It is in early testing, and will hit the website soon. but then we'll have to tie it into the game, so unfortunately it will take some time (like everything else)

Q: Any decisions or thoughts on supporting guild-owned EKs? or still going to let players work that out for themselves?
A: My plan (right now) is to have it technically owned by the GL with succession rules. Ultimately, someone needs to "own" the guild object, anyway, so might as well resuse the existing admin structure.

Resources

Q: Will we ever see new 'mothernode' types e.g. trees or leather?
A : Yes on leather at some point (giant monster carcass)

Q: Has your design approach changed at all in regards to regular nodal resources and POI's? thought we'd see (any) the later in these tests.
A: In terms of # of resource POIs, we kept it low to encourage fights. I'm sure it will go up (and isn't hard to do, it's just another thing)

Q: So far we've never seen hides higher than rank1 off boars or cats. Is there tech limitation preventing that?
A: No limitation, probably just something the designers haven't gotten to, yet (that I know of -- could be wrong)

edit: sorted & formatted

Edited by Kraahk

2W1ZHpA.jpg

15 minutes ago, Kraahk said:

Orosili : will we see game mechanics like toxic water in swamp parcels which may damage players over time if they traverse it ?
jtoddcoleman : yes, I definitely want environmental spell effects / bufs & debufs

Love this comment.

21 minutes ago, Kraahk said:

Anthrage: As a designer, have you given any thought to possible ways to introduce persistence to the 'throne war' that is at a scale larger than campaigns?
jtoddcoleman: eventually, I'd love to try out some campaigns that are more "sports" like in approach. For example:
"This Campaign runs every evening from 6pm to 9pm CST, only."
or "This Campaign allows each guild to send in a roster of 20 champions, and they start with a Fort. It's an elimination world; lose all your land and your roster is out"

I get that a lot of people like the quick in and quick out type of games; but why can't we have a good MMORPG built for players that want a 3+ year adventure; where the focus is on the the expansion over time.  I'm glad that @Anthrage clarified his question, but this first response made me frown a bit.

23 minutes ago, Kraahk said:

jtoddcoleman: those are separate tracks; environment artists aren't part of R/C split.
we'll get to that stuff, but my priority right now is to finish out this first archetype set and then move on to adventuring areas (of which we are SORELY lacking)

Hearing that there will be adventuring areas built, is exciting.  The current terrains are really good, more built specifically for exploring will be a great addition to the RPG feel for the game.

lUvvzPy.png

You busy bird :D
Thanks! I couldn't read as fast as they were streaming ;)

Let me sing you a song / Of a world that just vanished / Of a story that ended to soon
Let me bring you a cup / Make a toast to the living / And a toast to the legends we share

1 hour ago, Kraahk said:

Anthrage: As a designer, have you given any thought to possible ways to introduce persistence to the 'throne war' that is at a scale larger than campaigns?
jtoddcoleman: eventually, I'd love to try out some campaigns that are more "sports" like in approach. For example:
"This Campaign runs every evening from 6pm to 9pm CST, only."
or "This Campaign allows each guild to send in a roster of 20 champions, and they start with a Fort. It's an elimination world; lose all your land and your roster is out"

They could make a new ruleset called the Eternal Campaign in the Heart of the Hunger, a campaign that never ends and the changing of the seasons would allow for the Nephew Toms to overtake the Uncle Bobs. Just some $0.02.

jtoddcoleman : we definitely need some "spirit thralls" (think spirit bear effect) but I'm actually thinking we might want hirelings, too -- mortals who look like, well, mortals.

I always did like the idea of having to get the residents of a CW to submit to my will- I mean convince them to join my side :D

tinnis_ : Will we ever see new 'mothernode' types e.g. trees or leather?
jtoddcoleman : yes on leather at some point (giant monster carcass)

I would like to see some Overgrown Trees, Lush Herbs, and Fat Fauna :D 

jtoddcoleman: those are separate tracks; environment artists aren't part of R/C split.
we'll get to that stuff, but my priority right now is to finish out this first archetype set and then move on to adventuring areas (of which we are SORELY lacking)

What are adventuring areas, and can I be on the design council for them? :D

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

Thanks for doing this.

I was a bit surprised by Todd's response to my 'adding persistence' question, as it was virtually the opposite of what I was referring to, but it does at least underline the fact that they are willing to try out new things. I think if a good solid idea was presented to them, they would consider it.

Maybe an uber-hippo for example. In theory, we are rescuing these resources from the dying worlds before the Hunger consumes them for a reason, possibly to secure them for the respective gods. Perhaps we could have an EK-asset similar to the Statues which these could be fed into, as a method of 'keeping score' across multiple campaigns, with X happening once that hippo is full. So a Statue to Gaea which can be fed with Legendary Wood, or even only a specific type of wood, which once complete, can grant Y buff to that guild's members across all campaigns - but only if the EK it is housed in has the PvP and asset destruction options enabled. That kind of thing. An SB Shrine taken to the next level.

Edited by Anthrage

On 8/23/2017 at 0:03 PM, Teufel said:

I get that a lot of people like the quick in and quick out type of games; but why can't we have a good MMORPG built for players that want a 3+ year adventure; where the focus is on the the expansion over time.  I'm glad that @Anthrage clarified his question, but this first response made me frown a bit.

I fully agree. Please do not build things that amount to Battlegrounds. They are poison to Open-world PvP. 

The universe-wide Gods war, i would pay for. Let us pay tributes, build monuments, and honor the beings that force us into savage immortality. Thanks in advance!

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com