Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Crowfall cinematic premiere - Official discussion thread

Figured it would be the booth video, it looked cool! :0

op ranger. scrub mino missed his crash and died before the arrow hit hah.

Good stuff

I hope we do get some nice 'visuals' for the start and end of world

e.g. the swooping into the world as a spirit crow and whatever happens at the end with its destruction.

I would also personally like a presentation of campaign world bands that more reflected the circling around the hunger we were shown before like:

eternal-kingdoms.jpg

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

20 minutes ago, durenthal said:

Like the trailer, but we gave up a skills / character sheet reveal for that?  Ouch.  Hope you guys are having a good time at Gamescom, and that we can pick up the pace once it's over.

I imagine any skills/sheet stream would of been largely what we have already been shown and discussed on other live streams given the practicalities tbh

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

My wife (in blue) and me can be seen at around 1m57.. we are waving :)

Thanks for the really great evening, free beer, pizza's and the great talks! I made a new friend there, talked 3 hours with him. Thanks @randomcitizen .. can't wait to walk in your EK :)

Good trailer Ace. For me tho felt flat in some parts goosebumps didn't kick in till end monologue 1:11 mark.  

Love the "We are not Heroes   we are scavengers    we are Crows"  also missed Winter is here ver1+2 soundtrack those drums. 

My 2 cents.  Great work promoting Crowfall at gamescon. 

Just wanna said i nailed the ending:

#WeScavengers #WeCrows

I like because i can see it being used as a warcry. Imagine a group of armoured fighters banging their swords in their shields and going all "What are we? Who are we?". Totally badass...

^ From the hashtag suggestion thread. And still think it is a pretty damn cool hashtag. Though i am not the kind of person who dabbles on that.

Reality checking in here.

This trailer is bad and doesn't make me want to play the game at all. YouTube agrees. Too much random crow flying around, poor animations and lackluster combat. The only part that was good was the last 3 seconds where she landed and her eyes were lit up.

Don't call me a jerk. Someone needed to speak some truth in this thread.

I mean... I liked most of it.

Negatives

1. The first part before she's lying dead on the floor is 100% unnecessary and quite frankly just poorly made. The trailer should have just started at 20 seconds in with "death is not the end"
  2. Also when the crows are flying over why are the humanoids just STOOD there? Look to the crows right and there's a guy dressed in white just afk.
  3. Did you really have to use the gerbils Guinecean for the walk-in throne room scene? As a trailer that people will use to decide whether or not they will play (and this will happen) that race is just.. "what the custard is that?" in a much more negative way than positive to interested players.

Positives

1. The rest is put together well and is informative as to what you can do inside the Crowfall universe which is really all a trailer needs.

Oh and I would have left the blue eyes until the screen fades to black because the change is very noticeable (or at least fade it out).

But what do I know about making trailers, I just know I won't be showing this to my friends because I actually want them to play Crowfall and if they see this I know they will laugh at it and refuse.

1 minute ago, Midas said:

I just know I won't be showing this to my friends because I actually want them to play Crowfall and if they see this I know they will laugh at it and refuse.

There we go. More honesty showed up to the party. Can we all be honest about how bad this trailer is now?

This isn't good for hype, I would laugh and move on if I didn't already know about this game.

*Disclaimer* This is my personal analysis/feedback of your trailer, I know ACE is crowdfunded with limited resources, but I feel a lot of small changes could have made a big difference in many of the shots in the trailer.

I thought I would give you guys some feedback on your recent gamescom trailer for the game. I don't know if you noticed, but to non-backers it was pretty ill received. Source:

A little background on me, I'm a motion graphic enthusiast, been working with motion graphics, mostly 2D animations but with 3D elements, for about 5 years now, I have an education in multimedia design(film&animation), and I'm currently studying Digital Conceptdevelopment.
I have been playing Crowfall from early january 2017, and I love the game so far. I am one of the officers in the european guild Caldera, so I feel like I have some valuable insight in your game, since I am an active customer.

Now back to the gamescom trailer.

I feel the reason this trailer failed, was because of the storytelling.
There are some technical things that could've been changed as well, but I will first address the storytelling.

Your games core values lie in how you bring people together to conquer and build together, no one will fair good in this game on their own, and every player will realize this very quickly when they start playing your game.
You want people to be unique, you want them to have a place where others can benefit from them, whether that is as a renowned blacksmith, or a feared warrior.
But the 'throne war' will not be fought by individuals, it will be fought by groups, mercenaries, guilds, warbands etc.

Your trailer focuses on how a single player amounts from nothing to something, and how the individual can go any way they want in the game, with the unlimited lives granted by the gods.

You could've done some research on your current playerbase, all the testers, who I think would be more than willing to answer some qualitative surveys, participate in focus groups etc., and find out what actually drew those players to your game.

You do not address what endeavors a player has to be a part of in this game, guarding gatherers, charging first into a battle, crafting the best equipment for yourself and your allies, create alliances, finding the right vessel - the list goes on, what I'm trying to say is that you could've showcased so much more with the resources you had for this trailer.

I will now break down each shot made for your trailer and give my thoughts on it:
Shot 1 - run time 00:00-00:07
Description: We see a blizzard and snow particles revealing your logo.
Sounds: Sounds of a blizzard and harsh wind.

Thoughts: It gives a feel of winter. But also a bit uncreative way of showing your games name. If you really wanted to give a feel of winter, you could've added a lot more snow and frozen look, to the logo. Also since you show your logo in the winter, starting the following shot in a winter setting would have set you guys up for an easy and creative transition.

Shot 2 - run time 00:08-00:10
Description: We see a ranger shooting incoming enemies through and open gate. The ranger shoots 3 targets. Camera is stationary.
Sounds: Sounds of battle, arrows being shot and moans of falling enemies.

Thoughts: I think you guys wanted to throw the viewer straight into a battle scenario, to showcase your combat.
But why give it away so quickly? Why not start a story, build up suspense - leading to a combat scenario?
Why is the gate straight open? Wouldn't it be broken down realisticly, for the enemy to rush into the town?
Why is the camera stationary? A slight movement upwards, showcasing the battle behind the rushing enemies could've created a better feel of the battle, you have the further background fogged off anyway.
Why is the ranger stationary? Having her backing up, while shooting, would've given the viewer the feel of how chaotic the battles can be, and how you need to keep your head straight.
You could've had a few knights standing in the entrance creating a shield wall, which is possible in game, just for a wow factor.

Shot 3 - run time 00:11-00:15
Description: We see a myrmidon charging towards the gate, with more enemies behind him ready to follow up. He then hits a single champion while entering the town.
Sounds: We hear the sounds of war, and an impact sound when the myrmidon kills the champion.

Thoughts: This scene could have been 10 times cooler, if it had been a shield wall that the myrmidon broke through with his charge, sending some knights flying left and right.
A nice touch with the slow motion, and screen shake effect on impact.
The impact sound could've had a bit more 'impact' to it, added some more bass to it, I know there's a lot more impactful free sound effects on youtube alone.

Shot 4 - run time 00:16-00:18
Description: Myrmidon reaches ranger with it's signature bull rush, before the ranger can shoot.
Sounds: Myrmidon grunts, impact sounds, sounds of battle.

Thoughts: Again the ranger could've been backing up, to give the visual feeling of her being overwhelmed.
Since the amount of visible fighting is so little, you don't really realize what actually happens - an enemy army takes over our subjects town.
This should've been more clearer, you already put in a lot of characters fighting eachother in the scenes, but you put them out of sight in a lot of fog?
Since you haven't really set up a scenario for the viewer, then we have no idea why our subjects entire army is outside their gates fighting incoming enemies, leading your viewer having no engagement in what actually happens.
This could've been a group of allied harvesters on their way back from harvesting, with a packpig loaded, then they get jumped after the town opened their gates, which would then make sense of why the gates are fully open.

Shot 5 - run time 00:19-00:26
Description: Fade to black, then we see our subject dead on the ground while the camera zooms out. Our subjects crow form jumps out of it's vessel.
Sounds: Still sounds of battle.
Speak: "Death, is not the end."

Thoughts: First you showcase the town being over run, there is no one else in there but our subject which is, visually, the last line of defense.
Wouldn't it have been more visually pleasing to see our subject with her allies lying dead by her side - telling the viewer, they died defending who they loved.
Since you had a fade to black transition, and faded the sounds away, why did you resume the sounds of battle?
A more muffled version of the sound, or complete silence, and then a spark of blue light coming from the body, with the speak following, would've given a feel of:
"Our hero is dead .. It's over.. No wait! What's that?!"
And then it wasn't over, you then tell the viewer, you have eternal life in the world of Crowfall.

Shot 6 - run time 00:27-00:30
Description: We see the crow form, flying up from the corpse, and flying past the battle.
Sounds: Combat sounds continue.

Thoughts: A good start with a camera that uses the crow as anchor point, and rotates around it, but yet again the camera stops in it's rotation, and in the last second of the scene, the viewer is kinda just gliding beside the crow, to be honest the scene should've been cut before the camera rotation ended, or the camera should've continued to rotate.
When a bird flies, it doesn't go in a straight line, it goes a bit up and down. That is why it feels wrong with the camera being so stationary in the angle of the shot.

Shot 7 - run time 00:30-00:33
Description: We see 3 more players dieng, and joining our subject in the crow form.
Sounds: Just a brief sound of combat.

Thoughts: Nice touch with the current crow gliding by, and then showing our subjects teammates suffer the same fate.
Again I don't agree on the stationary camera, it makes it seem so dull.
And pay attention to the templar in the left of the scene, she does a brief hit, and stands completely idle for the next almost 2,5 seconds.
Same with the myrmidon further in the background of the shot, completely idle animation, why even put that myrmidon in then, if it's not doing anything? Make it run, make it charge, something ..

Shot 8 - run time 00:34-00:40
Description: We see our subject in the past, walking through her town with
Sounds: Townsfolk working.
Speak: "My first life was simple. I went from daughter, to wife, to widow, to soldier."

Thoughts: Too many stationary characters in this shot as well, it would've brought the shot way more to life, to atleast have the characters that stand still do some movements with their arms as if they are bargaining for items.
The champion could be chopping the meat with his axe.
The druid in the background at 00:37 runs through the booth with the red and white striped cover.
Also the speak feels irrelevant towards the game, "I went from daughter", can we give birth to children? "to wife, to widow" Can we marry in the game?
And yet again the camera angle feels boring, you could've had it flying through some of the booths, in between to people crossing eachother or something, while following our subject.

Shot 9-12 - run time 00:41-00:47
Description: Starts with another flashback to our subject drawing their weapon and aiming at an incoming enemy.
She then shoots the first enemy - then the next, and then shoots towards the camera.

Sounds: The sound of a squeeky toy when the flashback happens. Shreeks of the dieng zombies.
Speak: "My family. My kingdom. All in ruins."

Thoughts: First too much stationary things again, ranger stands still, camera stays at the same angle all the time.
Why isn't the ranger looking towards the closest enemy to start with?
You could have started the shot with a close up of the rangers face, then a shreek from a zombie, and then zoom out revealing incoming enemies. That would've created much more action.
Shot 10, where it's a close up of the ranger aiming at the first zombie, why is that camera placed at that angle? You could've created much more suspense by having the camera move up from the top of the left shoulder of the first zombie, revealing the aiming ranger, and the second zombie incoming from her back.
Shot 11 is really good, shows her quick reaction to a second enemy, and shows a cool angle to her shooting the enemy.
Shot 12, having her shooting towards the camera seems anti climactic, the town is empty, the hunger has taken everything, wouldn't it make more sense for her to just bolt it, and sprint towards the camera instead?
That being said, "my family", would've made more sense with some gravestones around her, "my kingdom" would've made more sense with buildings destroyed around her.
Maybe mention the hunger here in the speak? You show the hunger, you do not mention it.

Shot 13 - run time 00:48-00:51
Description: We see 4 crows flying back towards a destination.
Speak: "Chosen by the gods, I have lived countless lives."

Thoughts:  The shot is too long contra what actually happens. "I have lived countless lives" could've been visualized by having the 4 different crows fly into 4 different vessels instead.

Shot 14 - run time 00:52-00:55
Description: The camera zooms in on a statue of our subject.
Speak: "I have been a hero, loved by the masses."

Thoughts: I would personally had the bridge to the statue come in from the front side of the statue, let's say citizens would go and look and at appreciate the statue up close, and all they can see, is the side of the statue.
Other than that, good visualization of the speak.

Shot 15 - run time 00:56-00:58
Description: We see our subject sneaking in on unsuspecting gatherers.
Speak: "A villain, skulking in the darkness."

Thoughts: I love the shot setup, nice ambience lighting and sounds (crickets).
What would've made it more feel like the actual game, would be to put in a guard or 2, standing in between our subject and the gatherers.

Shot 16 - run time 00:59-01:00
Description: The camera zooms in, as our subject draws a shot.
Sounds: Sound of bow and arrow.

Thoughts: This is where the shot could've ended with the ranger releasing the shot.

Shot 17 - run time 01:00-01:01
Description: We see 3 guineceans walking up towards the subject.
Speak: "A queen."

Thoughts: Great setup, a nice little touch could've been to have to 2 closest guards to the queen, (legio and champ), having them walk infront as to show "that's close enough".

Shot 18 - run time 01:02-01:03
Description: We see the queen on her throne.
Speak: "Uniting my people, to drive back the hunger."

Thoughts: This is where a small wave of the hand could be a nice follow up to the previous shot, just to create a bit more feel of her actually being in a position of power.
Also here you mention the hunger, but newcomers have no visualization of what the hunger does, you show it earlier, but do not clarify it.

Shot 19 - run time 01:04-01:05
Description: The guineceans bends the knee.

Thoughts: As a follow-up to the thoughts on the 2 previous shots, having the guineceans wait a second, for the guards to move aside, and then bending the knee, would've been a nice touch.

Shot 20 - run time 01:05-01:09
Description: We see an ongoing siege, with trebuchets launching molten stone at a castle.
Speak: "A warlord, toppling walls to slaughter the innocent."

Thoughts: This is probably the best shot in the entire trailer, this is what I think are one of your key selling points - big fights with a lot of people involved.
Good camera movement swaying through the ongoing siege, giving a feel of the chaos such a big fight can ensue.
In this scenario, I would've made the speak around strategy, like "With the right strategy, we crush our enemies."
One minor technical thing is that the third trebuchet on the left, launches the molten boulder out of synch with the animation of the trebuchet.

Shot 21 - run time 01:09-01:10
Description: We see a final shot from a trebuchet being launched, into a transition.

Thoughts: It's a nice shot, what would've completed the shot would have been a bit of smoke/fire from the castle, showing progress from the whole siege, giving the viewer a feel of victory for our subject, that way the visuals would match the speak.

Shot 22 - run time 01:11-01:17
Description: We see a single crow flying towards a temple.
Speak: "They worship us as immortals, they call us champions, legends, heroes."

Thoughts: Here you go from group scenarioes, back to a single person scenario.
But in the speak you address several people "they worship us" "they call us". Visually it would've made more sense to have many crows fly back towards the temple, to enforce that battles are being fought in larger scale, not by individuals.
You could have the different crows come in from many angles to make the shot much more interesting, instead we have a single crow gliding for 6 seconds toward a temple.

Shot 23 - run time 01:17-01:27
Description: We see how the crow turns from crow form, into their vessel. How the subject resurrects.
Speak: "We are not heroes, we are scavengers. We, are crows."

Thoughts: Again you adress multiple people in your speak, with a visual mismatch. The shot would've been a lot more interesting with several crows turning into several different vessels, showing "we are ready for more".

Conclusion:
This is what I think went wrong in your storytelling, you should've put a lot more weight on the multiplayer part of your game, how people work together, because what people got from your trailer, is that a single player is immortal, and can amount to anything.
To really boil it down - you can resurrect in the game.

I would recommend you guys do some user research before making your next trailer, since you could've impressed a lot more potential buyers, by actually showcasing some of your key selling points.

If I had the chance to affect the storytelling, I would've put the viewer into a 'regular scenario' in the game, create suspense, giving the subject something to lose, and finally when they die, reveal how they become a crow, and how we'll see them again.

Example could be:
- It's dark and quiet with crickets chirping, 3-4 gatherers are harvesting some stone near a torch, and couple of guards are standing close to them.
"That's the last of it, let's get going"
- Suddenly a net out of nowhere lands on the gatherer furthest from the camera.
- Everyone freezes for a brief second, trying to realize what is happening.
- The gatherer gets pulled away and in comes the suspenseful music, and the roar of and incoming enemy group.
- A champion comes jumping in from the dark infront of one of our guards.
- Our guard cuts him down, shouting:
"Get it back to the fort!"
- The gatherers whips the pack pig, it squeals and start rushing away from the fight.
- In the background you see the guards being cut down, in the sound of battle.
- From the perspective of a lookout on the wall you see a torch in the distance, the pack pig and the gatherers rushing towards the gate, screaming:
"Open the gate! Open the gate, they're coming!"
- The packpig/gatherers comes rushing in through the open gate, with enemies just behind them.
- They can't close the gates in time and guards run to the open gate to stall the enemies (a shield wall of templars/knights)
- Fighting ensues, and from the distance you see 2 blue crows flying fast towards the fort.
- The crows rushes past, above the fight and the camera follows them from the fight toward a statue.
- Here we see the 2 guards from before coming back to life, (same animation from the last scene of the trailer), and then drawing their weapons, and rushing towards the battle, running past the camera - cut to next scene.

From here on you built up a story, of our heroes finishing up the last of their gathering for the night(Start of regular scenario in game), being attacked (suspense), having casualties (part of the game), reach their destination with their goods (payoff of their dangerous adventure), showcasing how crows come back to life (showing that people are immortal).

And then you can continue the trailer with the siege shots, crafting shots etc.
Bringing out the over all message of cooperation, group fighting and dependency of eachother.

I hope I didn't come off as arrogant in my analysis, and I hope you can use this feedback at all.

I care about this game, and I want it to succeed, and a part of succeeding is having good PR, and a good trailer will give good PR.

Edited by Yumx

pJ5xyok.png
My Twitch - My Youtube - Apply to Vanguard HERE!