Scree

Malekai.org | The Crowfall Database

DIfCpcQUQAErIiT.jpg

We are officially launching the https://malekai.org page today! The combined efforts of several community members (most notably Michael Fedora), this site represents a milestone for Crowfall. The game is quickly closing in on launch and we wanted to do our best to give players tools to look up in-game information without needing to actually be in-game. Theorycrafters need great tools, and we worked particularly hard on this project to make it flexible (to all the changes remaining to be made in Crowfall), as well as responsive to user needs. The site features some pretty cool tech as explained somewhat in this video. We'll be doing an article on Stealthed to get more into the nitty gritty coding side, so check that out when its out.

There is still a lot left to do on the project, but the biggest aspect we want to ensure users know about is that we've allowed contributors to tell us when data is out of date. By utilizing several automated systems, we'll be notified immediately of these inaccuracies and can address them in a timely manner. This gives us all sorts of ways to utilize volunteers to run out and gather data as it's found to be inaccurate. If you're interested in helping us out, join us over on the Stealthed Discord!

We have a launch video prominently placed on the front page for the first 30 days. This should give you some ideas as to how it all works.

Hope you enjoy it!

~The Malekai Project Team.

Edit: Sidenote... we are only going to implement changes if the tooltip is out of date. We are not going to guess/interpret what a power actually does if it differs from the tooltip. Sorry! Need to be able to validate our sources somehow ;)

Edited by scree

Nice job guys! I use this site almost every day when I theorycraft and have been for weeks. 

You're the reason I'm playing Crowfall right now.. It was some of the theorycrafting articles Stealthed did that converted me from a Kickstarter Backer to an active player, and it was the Malekai project's warm welcome and support for my own Crowfall work that kept me around. 

Bravo on supporting open source, and letting people build on your hard work. 

Edited by Orleans

What would be super ideal is if ACE had had a tool to export their database of powers and disciplines to JSON and your web page could just consume those files, instead of you and other developers building out their own databases or files of these things manually. Clearly not a priority for them, but who knows maybe one day.

8 minutes ago, DocHollidaze said:

What would be super ideal is if ACE had had a tool to export their database of powers and disciplines to JSON and your web page could just consume those files, instead of you and other developers building out their own databases or files of these things manually. Clearly not a priority for them, but who knows maybe one day.

We've discussed this with ACE, and it may be possible someday, but like you said, not a priority.

For now, a team of people entered by hand, and I wrote a Ruby script to convert the crafting spreadsheets into JSON. 

To be clear, though, part of what Scree, Michael, and I are working on is providing this JSON and open APIs to everyone else to build on as well. Hopefully these efforts can avoid being repeated in the community. They've also spent a lot of time on a system to support community flagging of inaccurate information. 

Edited by Orleans

Good stuff, though I can see the co-branding aspect to feed back to stealthed as the reason, it would have been wiser to not associate in-game personas with a venture like this.

Theoretical example, if I had a guild and you guys who run malekai waged war on us, I could recruit people to spam your community flagging system with false reports.

17 minutes ago, DocHollidaze said:

Theoretical example, if I had a guild and you guys who run malekai waged war on us, I could recruit people to spam your community flagging system with false reports.

i don't think people will do this for that reason. BUT...

crowfall is attracting people from Ultima Online, Darkfall, Eve Online and other hardcore MMOs which inhabitants one of the most toxic people known to online gaming. I saw people going for other people in real life because of something that happened in game. So if someone is mad he could write a bot flagging everything 24/7.

But this could easily be fixed with reCaptcha or only let registered users flag data.

Edited by drunk

56 minutes ago, DocHollidaze said:

Good stuff, though I can see the co-branding aspect to feed back to stealthed as the reason, it would have been wiser to not associate in-game personas with a venture like this.

Stealthed and Malekai Network are not guilds. Obsidian is a niche guild within the larger Malekai Project.

I contribute to Malekai Network, personally. Whether or not Obsidian goes to war with me has no impact on my contributions out of game. I hope for the same respect from others, personally. 

However, I am not at all concerned with bad actors. Plenty capable of helping Malekai deal with them when they arrive. Until then, it's premature optimization. 

Edited by Orleans

2 hours ago, DocHollidaze said:

I would love if they could do that, but they don't have time. I wouldn't have bothered building out tools to support us manually keeping the site up to date if it was a possibility (even a remote one). Still, I think we have the ability, with the communities help to keep it reasonably updated. 

Should they actually have time to generate an API, I'd hope they'd just skip over duplicating our efforts and focus on more important things like sharing out in-game details like kills, crafted items, campaign progress, and the like. Sharing out mundane information like this shouldn't ever be a priority for them.

1 hour ago, DocHollidaze said:

We discussed this possibility for a good length of time. We do not require people to register right now to flag data, but it's coming. If people truly want to maliciously report things, no system could 100% prevent it. Stealthed is not a guild website either. Though it is primarily sponsored (and written) by members of my guild. We've gotten several people, not from the guild, involved recently (some who claim to be enemies of Obsidian). It's always been a neutral site in my eyes. The same is true of this domain. 

I like branding, in general. I spend a great deal of time making sure the sites are thematically intertwined for a reason. Should someone take issue with my organization and attack any of our sites criminally or maliciously, there are ways to deal with that.

With that said, we wanted to eliminate any barriers from people using the site from contributing by submitting flags/data inaccuracy reports. If it becomes an issue, it's easy enough for us to disable the feature and require people to login.

Edited by scree

Very nice work, I love it !

btw I found an omission in the description of Blood Pact:

"Grants a Blood Pact for 15 seconds, which all powers to consume Hitpoints instead of their normal ressource type."

Should be:

"Grants a Blood Pact for 15 seconds, which allow all powers to consume Hitpoints instead of their normal ressource type"

10 hours ago, Belantis said:

Very nice work, I love it !

btw I found an omission in the description of Blood Pact:

"Grants a Blood Pact for 15 seconds, which all powers to consume Hitpoints instead of their normal ressource type."

Should be:

"Grants a Blood Pact for 15 seconds, which allow all powers to consume Hitpoints instead of their normal ressource type"

I've scheduled this fix to go out in our next update. Just a future reference, you can "flag" any page that contains wrong/missing information. Just hover over the title and click the flag to report it to us. 

Thanks for the catch though! Only 10,000 more I'm sure ;)

Edited by scree

Is your argument really "in this guild based game, lets demand the people crazy/devoted enough enough to create and build publicly accessible resources or community hubs, to not be in guilds"

Not everyone's "guild" consists of one person, unlike some people around here.

Nor are either of the resources in question exclusively maintained only by a single "guild".

Edited by Tinnis

Thanks crows, it's been a (rather long but) enjoyable ride in making this!

This is definitely a multi-guild venture, with most of our code, API, and even our JSON data set being open source. Eventually we may make it easier to contribute (i.e. adding/editing entries) but for now you'll have to learn JSON and Git in order to do that (or just flag data and/or tell us on the Stealthed discord).

We can definitely not keep all the data up to date ourselves... haha. Please feel free to help out - it's an open toolset for all Crows everywhere, in any guild ^_^