Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
foxtrot

The Return of The Shadowbane Emulator: 2.0 Patch and Wipe

Got an email that SBE is becoming active again. They have a big post about their goals and changes and stuff. Looks pretty exciting:

http://shadowbaneemulator.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24939

Im most excited for the single boxing. Multiboxing killed SB IMO. Anyone gonna roll up on there when they wipe?

Edited by foxtrot
spelling

Nope. Rogues still suck.

Rogue

• Stealth has been reworked to feel more like the classic versions and no longer provides the detect hidden ability.
  • Sneak has been renamed "Hide". Hide has a 4s cast time, allows movement, and caps at PR-20.
  • Stalk has been renamed "Sneak". Sneak is also a stealth power that allows movement, but it is instant-cast and increases movement speed by 50% at PR-20. This power lasts 30 seconds, has a 180-second recycle timer, and caps at 20 trains.

Saboteur

• Saboteur's With Catlike Tread cooldown adjusted to 300s. Now also grants invisibility. Duration tweaked to 120s at GM.

Scout

• Camoflauge is now a group wide (3 person max) Stealth. Allows movement. Caps at GM. 300s CD, 180s Duration.

Can still get GM stealth if you really want it.

I think they're just less invincible in small scale. Scouts and thieves are no longer the only things seen in smallscale, and non-scout rogues can actually fight eachother in smallscale now rather than stay in stealth forever - I don't think that's a bad thing?

Edited by taroskin

Crazy Talk co-co-co-gl

Guardians of Moonforest fangirl

All they needed was to remove instant sneak. That's it. Prior to instant sneak, you didn't see scouts ruling small scale rogue fights unless their opponent was just stupid.

All of these other changes are just silly. Scouts already had too many available trains, and now you've just given them 20-40 more.

Edited by vandarr

Removing instant sneak doesn't fix the plethora of rogues sitting around at disc drops, vorg, running zones that can't attack eachother unless they bring a scout. That was just a flawed concept, and it needed fixing.

Sorry but "bringing a scout" should not be the only way to properly engage in the smallscale/solo elements of this game. And yes, there are various awful/clunky workarounds (coming out of stealth to let your enemy get the jump on you/bait him, using ground target AoEs, and so on) - but those are just that; ineffective, awful, clunky workarounds.

Crazy Talk co-co-co-gl

Guardians of Moonforest fangirl

I'm surprised that no one commented on this yet.

This emulator came up, the launcher didn't work properly, billions of gold duped in the first 4 hours, items with double enchantments identified on noob isle and admin commands available to players somehow.

The "team" responded by quitting, going on hiatus, and giving the project over to someone else in less than a few hours time. Complete embarrassment.

It's up now and people are actively playing it. They do have some very interesting ideas. I really like the Hot Zone Idea with Feature Characters. Of course one will have to see how they execute it, but hey It's new content that, at least in theory, sounds great.

I'd encourage anyone to just give it a shot, no harm in trying it (if it's something that interests you). I've revisited many "Alpha" games weeks or months later to check their progress. They're working on it, good luck to them.

http://shadowbaneemulator.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=394&t=25107&sid=7a53a98173856cebd666fba5251c420a

Alpha game? They took a finished game (shadowbane) and they've been working on it for 6 years. Alpha? Crowfall people really love that word for some reason.

They abandoned this current wipe. It's ripe with bugs, dupes, and the server will go down for hours at a time with no one bothering to bring it back up. NPCs are disappearing, lag is massive, and they can't even get swimming to work correctly.

Their own devs (new and old) have repeatedly stated they won't do anything to fix the current server and its issues. They are busy thinking tanking ideas and putting in work on the test server. Sure, you can play this emulator if you like playing an emulator worse than the actual game you used to love. It's definitely not my cup of tea. Mostly because I don't like pieces of poorly made socks in my tea.

Nice fluff piece though.

Edited by mudbutt

Well, regardless, I won't really be playing either. My greater point, was saying "Give it a try".

You obviously have an angle. You sound like an acolyte of Magicbane, and if I had to guess, a Wehrmacht  (-WM-) member.

Just let them be already, it's not a good look, honestly. To promote your project, or product per se, you don't have to deride your competitor. I follow both projects, I wish them both well. I just find the vitriol spewed forth by the MB community a little bit off-putting, as do many others. Maybe instead of slamming another project, you can start one here for Magicbane and promote it? One, generally speaking, won't bring seats to the table by being negative. But, hey, no skin off my teeth.

What's your angle? You're giving an unqualified opinion about an emulator you didn't even try. I tried it and nothing I said is untrue. I can make opinions about something I played.

You?

It's a review. I'm not going to give a project mouth service when it is not earned. If I had given Crowfall a similar review, people would just be like "well, he played so that's his opinion." Why does it have to be emulator vs emulator for a person to give an opinion on a project that is circling the drain? The topic was about sbemu, not magicbane.

I appreciate your "concern" about my opinion, angles, and allegiance but the simple fact is I played a project and thus I can be a critic. You stated yourself you aren't playing either. You're simply making an unqualified opinion about one project while making a dissenting opinion about another project - neither of which you play. I"m trying to save players time. You're trying to misguide them due to something you got in your email that you didn't bother playing.

Well, I appreciate your selfless "concern" for other player's time. Altruism is is indeed a noble trait.

My hope is that they develop a successful product and that people can derive enjoyment from it. I'm sure their team has put in a lot of time and effort into the project.