Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Murder of Crows: John Gibson - Official discussion thread


Pann
 Share

Recommended Posts

An intresting look behind the camera. (sort of)

And double younger todd [and also his.... bug phase? Bug race confirmed!]
 

 
How do you find working with digital material compared to filming from life?
 
Is seeing online video interactions from the audience a challenge or advantage? (e.g. recent gamescom trailer 'discussion' etc)
 
 

Speaking of Todd....

4WFb2qP.gif

Edited by Tinnis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So glad this is what we continue to get for our weekly updates and behind the scenes look at game development. Maybe I'm just getting cranky and impatient but where are the meaningful discussions about systems which matter?

Any news on factories? How about how mounts and caravans are intended to work? Thoughts on guild and nation systems? An honest conversation of what the core module soft launch will contain? Obviously those discussions are going to happen and we will get the information eventually which will then have to be iterated on because of feedback from the community. I was hoping this endeavor would have been more of a collaborative process where the hive mind could point out flaws in the design which inevitably will happen (we are human after all) before resources are wasted implementing them. Instead we will have the constant drip drip drip of information while JTC knowingly laughs about holding back information because of feedback schedules while taking shots. We are left playing an amputated state of the game instead of being given 5.3 despite the fact that we know we are "Pre-Alpha" testing and should expect some issues. Despite all the reminders that this is pre-alpha and things are going to break the devs still feel the need to hold our hands and provide a "stable" version while admitting that much of that code is a dead end anyway.

Yes there is constant worry of putting out the wrong impression but there is a reason you initially decided to limit exposure to players who had a bigger stake in the game. Now basically as long as you have an account you get access to the "Pre-Alpha" because hey that's how you get players to open their wallets, by offering them early access. The stream numbers/views are low and it has become the same relatively small group of players who watch the streams and comment on the forums.

I'm very much still a fan of the vision, just a little let down with the implementation. I continue to hold out hope that the next major release (5.3) will be a significant improvement over what we have now. I think that the race/class split was the right decision and look forward to the customization that design will allow us. I hope to see more information as it relates to a more complete game loop, something that might entice players to actually log in. I'll be the first to admit I don't log in anymore simply because there is not exactly much to do today that I was unable to do a year ago. 

Maybe I'm just having a bad day, rant over.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Verot said:

So glad this is what we continue to get for our weekly updates and behind the scenes look at game development. Maybe I'm just getting cranky and impatient but where are the meaningful discussions about systems which matter?

Any news on factories? How about how mounts and caravans are intended to work? Thoughts on guild and nation systems? An honest conversation of what the core module soft launch will contain? Obviously those discussions are going to happen and we will get the information eventually which will then have to be iterated on because of feedback from the community. I was hoping this endeavor would have been more of a collaborative process where the hive mind could point out flaws in the design which inevitably will happen (we are human after all) before resources are wasted implementing them. Instead we will have the constant drip drip drip of information while JTC knowingly laughs about holding back information because of feedback schedules while taking shots. We are left playing an amputated state of the game instead of being given 5.3 despite the fact that we know we are "Pre-Alpha" testing and should expect some issues. Despite all the reminders that this is pre-alpha and things are going to break the devs still feel the need to hold our hands and provide a "stable" version while admitting that much of that code is a dead end anyway.

Yes there is constant worry of putting out the wrong impression but there is a reason you initially decided to limit exposure to players who had a bigger stake in the game. Now basically as long as you have an account you get access to the "Pre-Alpha" because hey that's how you get players to open their wallets, by offering them early access. The stream numbers/views are low and it has become the same relatively small group of players who watch the streams and comment on the forums.

I'm very much still a fan of the vision, just a little let down with the implementation. I continue to hold out hope that the next major release (5.3) will be a significant improvement over what we have now. I think that the race/class split was the right decision and look forward to the customization that design will allow us. I hope to see more information as it relates to a more complete game loop, something that might entice players to actually log in. I'll be the first to admit I don't log in anymore simply because there is not exactly much to do today that I was unable to do a year ago. 

Maybe I'm just having a bad day, rant over.

 

I feel ya.

 

While I enjoy hearing about the people making the game, they do seem like these have taken the place of game news on days they release news sometimes. We got a bunch of news real quick then it just kind of dried up while we wait to see 5.3.

 

I pretty much lurk but you arent the only one thinking it.

 

REQT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Verot said:

So glad this is what we continue to get for our weekly updates and behind the scenes look at game development. Maybe I'm just getting cranky and impatient but where are the meaningful discussions about systems which matter?

 

28 minutes ago, infraction said:

While I enjoy hearing about the people making the game, they do seem like these have taken the place of game news on days they release news sometimes. We got a bunch of news real quick then it just kind of dried up while we wait to see 5.3

Would you prefer no news though?

Things churn at different rates, from different members of the team, at difference stages of completion before they can be presented to the community.

What is consistent is their sticking to their schedule of a minimum of two updates a week. Not every one can be a massive reveal or a engaging design debate.

Since Janurary 2015: ACE have done 453 updates in 138 weeks [average of 3.28 a week]

That is not a simple thing to stick to at all and should be applauded.

(shudders if I had to show my boss/team/clients what I had done over the last few days, twice a week, every week. I'd go insane)

Edited by Tinnis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tinnis said:

 

Would you prefer no news though?

Things churn at different rates, from different members of the team, at difference stages of completion before they can be presented to the community.

What is consistent is their sticking to their schedule of a minimum of two updates a week. Not every one can be a massive reveal or a engaging design debate.

Since Janurary 2015: ACE have done 453 updates in 138 weeks [average of 3.28 a week]

That is not a simple thing to stick to at all and should be applauded.

(shudders if I had to show my boss/team/clients what I had done over the last few days, twice a week, every week. I'd go insane)

It's just disappointment seeping through right now.

 

The June announcement made it sound like 24/7 testing was right around the corner, which to me, meant it was going to start looking like the vision we all funded. Almost 3 months later and the current test still isn't much of a game at the moment, and supposedly their vision for soft launch is still on pace from the last thing I read.

 

The MMO scene being bad as it is right now isn't leaning in their favor.

 

REQT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always look forward to seeing these videos as it gives me a bit more knowledge about the people I work with. Props for the very Nick Cave-like intro! It's also cool just getting a glimpse into how much tech has evolved over the years. Props, John! This was a great MoC! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To further clarify my previous post in this thread. Its not that I dislike John, I just feel that any effort not spent on the game itself is effort wasted, but what do i know. For all I know this could be done outside of work on personal time. I agree the videos are interesting but I'm glad to see a little more meat on the plate for today with the Siege update. Yo John, I'm really happy for you, I'll let you finish, but Siege Testing is the best weekly update.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...