Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Siege update - Official discussion thread

Pann

Last night we prepped a new version of the game to the TEST environment that combined elements of our Siege Perilous testing from last year with the much-more-functional Campaign World milestone that we’ve been testing over the course of the last month.

Now that it’s rolling out to the playerbase at large, I thought it might be helpful to pause for a moment and cover the basics, so you guys know how the integrated parts work as a whole.

Just want to confirm that this'll be on TEST, not LIVE.  Tyrant mentioned in chat this morning that you were looking at having a build on LIVE this week, and the second part of the quote above could be read as TEST last night, LIVE coming up.

"If the defenders succeed in protecting their Keep, there is a 10-minute window of invulnerability in which no new Banewood Trees can be planted. . . .

Keep in mind that ALL of the above timers are adjustable – we’ve set them purposefully slow to facilitate testing of the Siege mechanics"

@jtoddcoleman I think you mean purposefully fast timers.  I don't think anyone  believes  10 minute invuln/recovery period is a "slow" pace for consecutive sieges.

Great news! It's looking more like a full CW with each new update. 

Speaking for the long term (not necessarily the build we'll play this weekend) I feel like the one thing missing in this tug of war campaign is some kind of incentive to the factions for capturing and holding a keep. Right now all of the resources are around the POIs and those have been pvp contested areas. Check.

The forts are near those POIs, but right now it is too easy to capture one (druid, ranger and duelist can teleport through walls, or a solo fessor can destroy a wall in about one minute) without enough rewards (you just get a respawn point there). But I believe once forts have crafting stations, local banks accessible only by the owner, considerably sturdier walls and strong guards to help defend them from solo cappers, they will become much more valuable. I know that's something for 5.3 though. Or at least the guards are, because they rely on the NPC tech. 

However what will be the purpose of taking and holding keeps? Maybe the Tree of Life can spawn some kind of highly valuable resource over time? Or just chests with high tier materials inside the keep respawning over time as well. Something to make holding a keep desirable throughout the whole campaign, not just at the last 30 min to decide the result of the tug of war.

9 minutes ago, Rikutatis said:

However what will be the purpose of taking and holding keeps? Maybe the Tree of Life can spawn some kind of highly valuable resource over time? Or just chests with high tier materials inside the keep respawning over time as well. Something to make holding a keep desirable throughout the whole campaign, not just at the last 30 min to decide the result of the tug of war.

On a larger and better laid out map, the keep should be your home not the beachhead.  Also, once sieges have windows of opportunity and significantly longer invuln timers (say 12 -24 hours) they are how factions can actually progress in a campaign without losing everything they have capped to a solo rat and his buddy in the middle of the night.

16 minutes ago, angelmar said:

On a larger and better laid out map, the keep should be your home not the beachhead.  Also, once sieges have windows of opportunity and significantly longer invuln timers (say 12 -24 hours) they are how factions can actually progress in a campaign without losing everything they have capped to a solo rat and his buddy in the middle of the night.

Oh, my feedback was aimed specifically at the Big Tyranny map. From what I understand, this is the map they are prepping to be used on the live server as the first functional test campaign world with a game loop. In that map, keeps are actually out of the way and far from POIs. So would make sense to give an incentive to hold them for the entire campaign duration. 

32 minutes ago, Rikutatis said:

1 minute ago, Rikutatis said:

Oh, my feedback was aimed specifically at the Big Tyranny map. From what I understand, this is the map they are prepping to be used on the live server as the first functional test campaign world with a game loop. In that map, keeps are actually out of the way and far from POIs. So would make sense to give an incentive to hold them for the entire campaign duration. 

With the rework to skills they should just go the extra mile and make it to where you can't train the 4th or 5th pips unless you have a keep with a "training" shrine. (This would not count for each 1st node in any given tree/skill line, just the subsequent)

lUvvzPy.png

46 minutes ago, durenthal said:

Just want to confirm that this'll be on TEST, not LIVE.  Tyrant mentioned in chat this morning that you were looking at having a build on LIVE this week, and the second part of the quote above could be read as TEST last night, LIVE coming up.

This weekend's Campaign testing will happen on LIVE. 

1 minute ago, Rikutatis said:

Oh, my feedback was aimed specifically at the Big Tyranny map.

In that map, keeps are actually out of the way and far from POIs. So would make sense to give an incentive to hold them for the entire campaign duration. 

Agreed, it's a fair criticism of the current map. 

The incentive to hold the keeps will probably be "to win", but without windows of opportunity and longer invuln timers etc. The only thing that matters is last 1 to 2 hours.  Hopefully they fix it for the first CW.

Just now, Pann said:

Hmm this is a regression.  Since the Test server has been up I quit training any skills on the "Live" server.  Also any thing we've been farming for imports/exports will now be wasted.  Live should be shut down IMO until 5.3 and a wipe, but oh well not my call.

lUvvzPy.png

4 minutes ago, Teufel said:

Hmm this is a regression.  Since the Test server has been up I quit training any skills on the "Live" server.  Also any thing we've been farming for imports/exports will now be wasted.  Live should be shut down IMO until 5.3 and a wipe, but oh well not my call.

ArtCraft has been pretty clear in communicating this, as have numerous community members. I'm not sure why people stopped training. 

I presume the reasoning to switching to live is to test that cycle (testing to live), to add more skilled gatherers for the rare materials required for sieging, and because we're closing in on persistent CWs. It looks like next week might be the first week-long campaign, based on the playtest schedule. 

Free Ginko.

14 minutes ago, Pann said:

Will there be a SB wipe on Live to coincide with this major milestone? Otherwise, established guilds who have played for longer than a few months and/or guilds who abused the training bug are going to be at a heavy, heavy advantage. 

Edited by Orleans

Free Ginko.

2 hours ago, angelmar said:

@jtoddcoleman I think you mean purposefully fast timers.  I don't think anyone  believes  10 minute invuln/recovery period is a "slow" pace for consecutive sieges.

Exactly Durenthal Angelmar. I was about to write the same thing.

Edited by Caenth

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

39 minutes ago, Orleans said:

ArtCraft has been pretty clear in communicating this, as have numerous community members. I'm not sure why people stopped training. 

I presume the reasoning to switching to live is to test that cycle (testing to live), to add more skilled gatherers for the rare materials required for sieging, and because we're closing in on persistent CWs. It looks like next week might be the first week-long campaign, based on the playtest schedule. 

The only thing unofficially communicated was ACE would do a wipe before 5.3.  There was never mention they would put a CW on the "Live" server before 5.3 came out.  Hence why I stopped training, because I figured it was a waste of time.  I made a gamble and it didn't pay off; but ACE has not officially communicated they were putting a CW on the "Live" server before 5.3, that was conjecture from players.  It paid off for those players.

lUvvzPy.png

10 minutes ago, Teufel said:

There was never mention they would put a CW on the "Live" server before 5.3 came out.  Hence why I stopped training, because I figured it was a waste of time.

Ugh what? You have to turn this around really. They never said we wouldn't have sieging on Live. You and others assumed it we wouldn't see them on Live. I always did.

I continued training because I could and did not see a reason to stop. Plus I want to reach 100% trained on my Confessor. ;)

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!