Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anthrage

From Fresh Crow to Geared - Real-Time Benchmark

So, since I was sleeping before work when the server was reset and I lost all my gear - again - and I had to craft it all once more, I decided to get some value out of the painful experience and record it. This is going from fresh login to the new server, crafting Tools, Potions, Basic Armor and Weapon, through to Advanced Armor (Leather) and Weapon - including all the harvesting. I cut a few sections out, but kept most of it, to show that the time to completion stated was in fact legit. No-one should actually watch this, but it does give the uninitiated a sense of what is involved.

Time to completion for first a basic set then an advanced set, harvesting and crafting - including 3 failures on the 4 leather armor pieces (85% success my ass) was 2 and a half hours:

41 minutes ago, dolmar said:

Wow if you had laborer rune from start it is knocked down to about 45mins or less

Add about 20 mins onto this if you have to get out to the stone and make the laborer rune your self.

That's a good reason to switch the "basic" runes from real stone to cobble.  Then you could burn an import slot from naked in the EK, and hit a campaign world with a slag weapon, and the labor slot filled.

Sometimes it feels like ACE want's the start to feel like running through knee deep mud, rather than having the tools to enjoy the game right out of the gate.

1 hour ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

That's a good reason to switch the "basic" runes from real stone to cobble.  Then you could burn an import slot from naked in the EK, and hit a campaign world with a slag weapon, and the labor slot filled.

Sometimes it feels like ACE want's the start to feel like running through knee deep mud, rather than having the tools to enjoy the game right out of the gate.

Yep thats the way to go . There is no reason to make it real stone for the laborer runes. it took me 20 mins to get the required 12 stone for the laborer rune last time and that was with out pvp.

Perhaps I'm alone in this, but 2 and a half hours for one set seems a little ridiculous to me. Slag, white and green should be faster to obtain and more easily accessible. Blue and up should be considerably harder, but the power curve should be more shallow so the game doesn't become a insane gear grind (it already kinda is). Most of your solo player base who aren't as invested (i.e. have hundreds of dollars or more) WON'T wait 2 and a half hours before they can start having fun, that's a no start for them.  

I'm a firm believer that there isn't enough people who simply want to do nothing besides harvesting, that can supplement everyone else that wants to go out and fight.

I think it's also worthy to note that's 2 and a half hours of nothing besides harvesting and crafting. I assume there wasn't any competition for resource nodes, and no ganking / pvp of any sort happening. This will be entirely different come release; it might actually take longer.

Edited by Helix

13 hours ago, dolmar said:

Wow if you had laborer rune from start it is knocked down to about 45mins or less

Add about 20 mins onto this if you have to get out to the stone and make the laborer rune your self.

Yeah I wanted to establish a generic baseline, that works for basic in the EK as well as unbuffed overall in the CWs.

@Helix Yes no PvP in this case, only ganking was by the RNG Boss.

It's funny because this is basically similar to what I found back in December of 2016; ~95 minutes for an advanced leather set (without optionals) with minimal gathering skills. At the time the basic disciplines didn't exist, so these numbers are without them.

Basically, it means nothing in the gathering or crafting world has really been changed at the base level. Resource drops per node haven't changed, or been tweaked in any noticeable way. Recipes haven't been altered from their sometimes burdensome and nonsensical requirements (all mail/plate requiring iron/tin for example... despite a shift away from resources being un-tierified). 

1 hour ago, miraluna said:

There's obviously a problem when you have to put that kind of qualifier on a gameplay video :P 

Agreed. As stated, the intent was to have the video length present to illustrate it actually took that long, not for anyone to watch it taking that long. :P

This pain is a side effect of a test environment that resets every 5 days. This will be less cumbersome when we have a 24/7 live server. But the pain will still be there on test server. 

i've long since stopped bothering to make even *basic* armor or an advanced weapon like ever, let alone with all the map resets.

basic weapon PCM for life. [ironically the best choice anyway for a heal druid]

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

3 minutes ago, Muta said:

This pain is a side effect of a test environment that resets every 5 days. This will be less cumbersome when we have a 24/7 live server. But the pain will still be there on test server. 

This will happen every time a new campaign world starts up.  

I know that many love the rush of a new world, but the mechanics as is make that rush more of a drunken, stumbling, desperate crawl into the wind.

That's cause we're getting drunk every 5 days at best atm. 24/7 server less time drinking more time killing. 

Ps. Love that dude. Be there. Lolz. 

Edited by Muta

On 9/6/2017 at 9:40 AM, Helix said:

Perhaps I'm alone in this, but 2 and a half hours for one set seems a little ridiculous to me. Slag, white and green should be faster to obtain and more easily accessible. Blue and up should be considerably harder, but the power curve should be more shallow so the game doesn't become a insane gear grind (it already kinda is). Most of your solo player base who aren't as invested (i.e. have hundreds of dollars or more) WON'T wait 2 and a half hours before they can start having fun, that's a no start for them.  

I'm a firm believer that there isn't enough people who simply want to do nothing besides harvesting, that can supplement everyone else that wants to go out and fight.

I think it's also worthy to note that's 2 and a half hours of nothing besides harvesting and crafting. I assume there wasn't any competition for resource nodes, and no ganking / pvp of any sort happening. This will be entirely different come release; it might actually take longer.

You aren't alone. Even when I was testing I would only build basic gear as everything else took way too long.

In these type of games you end up creating "ready bags" that you can stash away and easily take out during PVP instances. That way if I die defending a keep or near it, I grab a ready bag and I am back in the fight. When you hit the point that you are out of ready bags and know it will take 2 1/2 hours to get you back in the fight (without PVP) that desire to log off will take hold.

On 9/6/2017 at 1:40 PM, Helix said:

With the use of automated factories I think the crafter base will easily keep up with the rest of the players. Star Wars Galaxies used this method and it worked great. Your experimentation with the high end mats gets you the first great build into a blueprint and then you can just load it up with regular mats.