Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My Hope For Real Diversity

I checked the 'archtypes' and what not and I am just curious as to where you guys are going with this. I did mention it before and I want to mention it again. PLEASE, make every class / race combination a unique game play experience.

Nothing bores me more than playing WoW and realizing that no matter what mage class I play, the gaming experience is the exact same in the end. DPS is virtually the same, they all have a CC, some mobility and blablabla. More over, my race is virtually only an 'esthetic' choice over having any impact on my actual experience in the game.

I am pretty sure that people would rather see a game with way less classes / complexity of big skill trees that in the end really leads to feeling the same no matter what path you take and more class diversity experience. I always think of WoW tanks when I think of this. No matter what tanking class you play, the dynamic in the end is the exact same. It becomes extremely disapointing... Why have 5 different tank classes (which can be about 20 different race / class combos in the end) which feel the exact same.

With the number of customization possibilities will already know of i'm sure you will get a unique experience with each archetype as long as you don't follow the FoTM

This.

As long as the customization choices are interesting enough, and there aren't any that are super out of whack to the point of it being a no-brainer non-choice class diversity shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by PotatoMcWhiskey

This.

As long as the customization choices are interesting enough, and there aren't any that are super out of whack to the point of it being a no-brainer non-choice class diversity shouldn't be an issue.

^ I feel the same way.

Community Moderator - http://killonsight.info/

The Dark Forest beckons...

Yeah, we'll have to see a list of Disciplines, Runes, Archetypes, and Crafting, but just going off of how those 4 categories shape your character:

Disciplines have been said to allow the use of different weapons, abilities etc

Runes change the stat allocation during character creation (which also affects what items you can use)

Archetypes define the skills, promotional classes, and innate weapons specializations - they've stated that some classes have unique weapons only they can use, could be the same case for certain armor pieces who knows.

Crafting gear based on what you would want depending on playstyle/abilities: How much life gained on hit, movement speed, attack speed, cool down reduction etc

Just looking at all of these things I'm willing to believe there is room for uniqueness.

Edited by WonderBread

Maybe I'm the only one who understands your sentiment, but I feel the exact same way.

I want every Archetype to have unique features which allow you to enjoy the game in unique ways. Not just aesthetically different Archetypes and promotion classes which do the same thing with different graphics, but operationally and tactically unique behavior which is isolated, maybe not to a single Archetype/Class, but to a small variety of classes.

Things like mounted combat and cavalry charge or passing strike combat, aerial combat and unique gameplay for an isolated portion of the Archetypes, deep ranged archery with real reach and strategic value, complex melee formations and infantry warfare for various soldieresk Archetypes.

The kind if diversity claimed and attempted by most fantasies which is often abandon so everything can be homogenized into an unholy imitation of the same 3 roles is disappointing...

They said they were departing from the trinity, and claimed to include more strategy, and it appears there will be some deeply unique roles and behaviors, lets just hope they can deliver on these expectations :)

Edited by BahamutKaiser

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I personally hope archetypes take a back seat to disciplines and that all archetypes can play roughly the same characters but their archetype can help flavor how they play those characters.

That's not to say I don't want a great deal of character variety. Just that I dont want all that variety race and sometimes gender locked.

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

I personally hope archetypes take a back seat to disciplines and that all archetypes can play roughly the same characters but their archetype can help flavor how they play those characters.

That's not to say I don't want a great deal of character variety. Just that I dont want all that variety race and sometimes gender locked.

So basically you want the opposite of the OP...

Unique features can be enjoyed by every player accessing different Archetypes if they want to experience that part of the game, deep asymmetry and strategic Archetype diversity can't exist if everyone just customizes everything with anything else to imitate each other.

A Centaur is never gonna be anything but cavalry, as powerful as that is, it can't unhorse itself and it's got no right to be in the air either... So shall we eliminate flight depth because Centaurs can't enjoy it? Can we have no infantry warfare because Centaurs are cavalry only?

There can be shared experience between some archetypes imitating or customizing to similar elements, like an archer Centaur, or an archer man on a horse, but Centaurs and Knights shouldn't be in the sky, and the game shouldn't omit deep and original gameplay and strategies just because their not universal. Long live Diversity!

Edited by BahamutKaiser

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Like you suggested every character that can ride a horse and use a bow should be able to play a character roughly equivalent to a Centuar archer, though the Centuar archer is obviously 100% immune to dismounts short of being chopped in half while those other races may have other benefits such as being small enough to ride a mount that can stealth or something. And of course that Centuar probably can't fly as you suggested. Infact it may not even be able to use magic.

But I'd like it so that if I decide "I want to play a stealthy archer that's good at tracking people and ambushes" or "I want to play a frontline warrior that's evenly balanced between damage and tanking ability and has limited self healing."

It's not like. "Better play a Fae Assasin", "Better play a highborn Templar". I have multiple options to go with for any major role with minor variances between them. But each of those roles is highly customizable because of depth in the discipline system.

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

Like you suggested every character that can ride a horse and use a bow should be able to play a character roughly equivalent to a Centuar archer, though the Centuar archer is obviously 100% immune to dismounts short of being chopped in half while those other races may have other benefits such as being small enough to ride a mount that can stealth or something. And of course that Centuar probably can't fly as you suggested. Infact it may not even be able to use magic.

But I'd like it so that if I decide "I want to play a stealthy archer that's good at tracking people and ambushes" or "I want to play a frontline warrior that's evenly balanced between damage and tanking ability and has limited self healing."

It's not like. "Better play a Fae Assasin", "Better play a highborn Templar". I have multiple options to go with for any major role with minor variances between them. But each of those roles is highly customizable because of depth in the discipline system.

Alternate options for several or every strategy should exist. They may work slightly different based on their archetype approach and emphasis, but every Archetype should only have a certain variety of choices available to them, and each archetype should emphasis a significantly different way of playing the game, so the game has a rich variety of experiences. The limited variation of alternatives may allow some archetypes to imitate other archetypes or meet at various cross role experiences, but they can't access everything, or even most things...

Fae Assassin herself has an immutable specialty which should eliminate a lot of options for her... Or heavily alter the way she approaches variation.

I can not speak to how WoW is now, but racials used to  change gameplay a lot in vanilla and tbc and all of the classes had very unique feels, hell all of the specs had different feels.