Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

02/06/15 - Day 5: Hunger Week Concludes!

02/06/15 - Day 5: Hunger Week Concludes! 

Feb6BannerA_23.jpg

Hunger Week ends -- not with a whimper, but with a roar!

Yeah, OK, that's overly dramatic.  but it's true!  That's right, folks.   It's HELL CAT time.

Hell Cat is one of the first creatures that we came up with, back when we were trying to explore the look and style of "the Hunger".  We thought a fitting way to end Hunger week would be to walk you through that process.

- First up, we took a base creature.  We started with a Sabretooth tiger; it seemed like a creature that would be interesting to fight even in Spring, before the onset of the Hunger.  (Oddly enough, the original thought was to make it a wolf, but we decided to change it to a cat and for a few months we kept calling the hell cat a "demon dog," in spite of the fact that there was absolutely NOTHING canine about it.)

Crowfall_HellcatConcept.jpg

- Once we had the base concept locked, we broke the "Hunger" effect into stages.  We wanted to sell the idea that the Hunger spreads like a disease, and it happens over time -- twisting and corrupting a creature so that, by the onset of Winter, it becomes unrecognizable.

- Once we had the various stages in mind, we jumped to the Winter and created a high-res image.  The goal here was to visualize the musculature and Hunger effects in detail.  

Crowfall_WinterHellcatConcept.jpg

- That image was then used to create a high polygon model, a 3D sculpt of the cat in all his (her?) glory.  After modelling, we textured (painted) her -- including lighting, diffusion and reflection layers.  The model was then rigged with an internal skeleton, and animated.  The final result of this process can be seen this video:

Hellcat_YoutubeTile.jpg

That's it for Hunger Week.  We'll continue with more updates next week -- though we will be going back to the more reasonable "every few days" pace.  (Hunger week was kind of brutal, to be honest!  From our end, it seems like we dropped a mountain of information.)   

Anyway, thanks again for being part of the Crowfall community, and if you want to ask any of the CF team questions about any of the above steps, hit them up in this forum thread, already in progress:

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Awwwwwww. Wicked sick.  Bone mineralized Hunger Gryphon gore.  Wait a second, that's not a Gryphon is it?  Hunger mane?

Bullet time!

• Sabretooth Tiger Hellcat concept.  Wicked.
  • Remember what Crowfall said about concept art banners reflecting ingame design goals?  This Hellcat is eating a carcass.  Will we see predatory Mobs eating other mobs periodically?  I'm crossing my fingers for mob ecosystem.
  • Is that carcass a player?  No, it's ribcage is too large, must be cow, or Hell Cow.
  • The background is full of snow and nothing else.  Barren wastelands of snoooooow!  Yaaaaay!  I'm really looking forward to these types of wide open landscapes.  I'm a fan of huge amounts of space, encourages mounts.
  • 3D Model, Animation, Music.  That's a lot of work done (On one character of course).  I wonder what's going to happen at the end of the countdown now...
  • "Hunger week was kind of brutal, to be honest!  From our end, it seems like we dropped a mountain of information."  -J Todd Coleman.   It means we are almost there, soon all shall be revealed.

I love the Hunger induced heels on the Hell Cat.

Edited by sneaky_squirrel

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

anyone else think all the winter themed mobs look bland, especially since everything will look the same mucles with ice on them

Concept looks great.  Slightly sad about update in terms of learning about the game, but on the plus side that means I can spend a little less time foraging on my computer to try and piece Crowfall together in my head!  Loved seeing an animated render though!

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

Very well done Hellcat! The tail movement could be a little more fluid, but, me likey. 

Did you forget to add a Hunger FAQ page and a link to it? Please sir, could we have more info?

A-orphancat_06.png

Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Meh, while I appreciate daily information drops, I feel like most things throughout the week were you guys saying the same thing, with the exception of the archetype reveals. The first day we got so much information, the rest (minus the archetype reveals/funding info/FAQ update even tho half the FAQ was copy pasta from a previous update) was just you showing the same concept of the Hunger taking over an NPC. The end of it all you give us a 42 second video, with 28 seconds of 'Crowfall' logo's, 10 seconds of a 3d look at an idle animation, and 4 seconds of a static image of the concept banner.

Anti-climatic is a nice way to put it.

That is because you lack vision sir. There is a rhyme and reason to why they picked this to be last and I can pretty much promise that there is more than just face value. Just keep looking and if you don't get it, don't worry, somebody else will......stay tuned ;)

If you can't dazzle em with brilliance, baffle em with truthiness

revaling mobs and archtypes etc is very anti climax indeed, you already showed this spring summer easter thing ok not very intressting tbh ( since we already know about it)

Heheh, I was expecting more of a.. bang.. for the end of Hunger week.
Maybe even a kickstarter (although thats probably going to happen by the end of February).

It matters not. 
The dog was fine too. : P

That is because you lack vision sir. There is a rhyme and reason to why they picked this to be last and I can pretty much promise that there is more than just face value. Just keep looking and if you don't get it, don't worry, somebody else will......stay tuned ;)

Gonna have to disagree with you on this one. Today's update was nothing new.