Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Noquid

What is needed to be able to actually compete?

I have to say my experience with the game so far has been either very frustrating or boring.  The boring part is having to gather and craft pretty much garbage, or at least it seems that way.  The frustrating part is once I leave the beachhead I've yet to run into someone that I could even compete with.  I get hit for 1k damage but do ~200 damage (yesterday evening), plus there's usually more than one enemy so it's pretty much pointless to leave the beachhead.  You can't make better equipment because you can't get to better resources w/o getting slaughtered.  It's like Hunger games with the good stuff in one spot  but you have to deal with people that are already geared up.  What do I need to actually defend myself??

I'm a Knight with 1h Hammer, Medium Shield (not the basic one) and basic armor.  I thought that might give me a fighting chance but not even close.  

Is there a reason why 99% of the map is knotwood, cobblestone and slag?  Then this little spawn of each type of Ore/Stone stuck in the middle of the map.  It's just Alpha and I already feel like it's pointless to play due to the have's & have-not's.  I know the previous comment sounds like I'm whining but there really is no chance at this point.  At least that's what I'm running into.

21 minutes ago, XpCjU said:

The biggest thing that is needed to compete, is a group

that pretty much nails it.

Basic armor is fine, missing the factories advanced armor doesnt give much of an advantage apart from the optional passives via disciplines (that do not work with basic armor).
With a basic weapon you will deal severly less damage than everyone else, but you can craft an advanced weapon out of slag and knotwood, that will deal about double the damage of a basic weapon and is enough. The shield is currently not as important.
Look at the disciplines, for testing you can craft them all for one slag each. Look for a combination of disciplines, powers, and passives you like, and that helps your group.

As a knight, you can deal decent damage in a groupfight, but to be honest your greatest strength is your CC, and your survivability.
You can do well 1v1 as knight, as Nchdu as proven time and time again, but at the moment there is not that much of a point in playing solo.

So in summery, to compete you need an advanced weapon but slag is fine, basic armor, basic shield, and disciplines. All of this can be crafted in the beachhead with slag, cobblestone and knotwood. But really you want a group.

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

At this point in testing, gear really isn't that important.  It seems like you think every way over gears you, but they don't.

If people are doing way more damage than you, it is most likely because of training.  Right now, there is no way for you to catch up on that.  However, I believe a skill wipe is coming with 5.3, so be ready for that.

If you really want to farm for better materials try the West server.  FAR fewer people there (less gankers).  Obviously your ping might be higher, but if you are just farming it doesn't really matter.

If I see you in game again (I killed you last night - sorry, didn't realize you were new), I will trade you some materials so you can experiment a bit.  And just so you know, materials are not everything.  There is a LOT of RNG in crafting.  I have had people trained in blacksmithing for 6+ months craft me weapons with blue quality materials that ended up being lower damage than slag weapons.  A lot of times the most efficient way to get a good weapon is to keep using low quality materials until you get really good rolls.

Good luck and see you in game.

3 hours ago, Noquid said:

What is needed to be able to actually compete?

In this case the question contained the answer: Ally. 

ACE is currently working on the guild systems. Once they are up it should be a lot easier to find people to group up with. It may still be frustrating for a lot of people, though. ;) Best use the time to get familiar with your favorite class and weapons (there are some pigs in the beachhead you can train your personal combat skills with) and try out some discipline runes as long as they can be easily crafted. Once you know what class and weapons you use, find out which equipment, materials or combinations give which stats, so you can adjust your crafting to your personal build. 

Have fun and good luck. :) 

4 hours ago, Noquid said:

I have to say my experience with the game so far has been either very frustrating or boring.  The boring part is having to gather and craft pretty much garbage, or at least it seems that way.  The frustrating part is once I leave the beachhead I've yet to run into someone that I could even compete with.  I get hit for 1k damage but do ~200 damage (yesterday evening), plus there's usually more than one enemy so it's pretty much pointless to leave the beachhead.  You can't make better equipment because you can't get to better resources w/o getting slaughtered.  It's like Hunger games with the good stuff in one spot  but you have to deal with people that are already geared up.  What do I need to actually defend myself??

I'm a Knight with 1h Hammer, Medium Shield (not the basic one) and basic armor.  I thought that might give me a fighting chance but not even close.  

Is there a reason why 99% of the map is knotwood, cobblestone and slag?  Then this little spawn of each type of Ore/Stone stuck in the middle of the map.  It's just Alpha and I already feel like it's pointless to play due to the have's & have-not's.  I know the previous comment sounds like I'm whining but there really is no chance at this point.  At least that's what I'm running into.

You will never kill anyone right now. Knight is the slowest class and anyone can run away from you. You also don't put out huge numbers for damage.

Combine the above with everyone has significantly more training than you and better gear. You will never kill anyone at this point in testing. Wait for the next stage when there is a wipe.