Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
srathor

I do not like how gathering in Crowfall makes me feel

26 minutes ago, Jah said:

I suppose you could try using Field Surgeon's Purgative to strip the DoT first, and then escape with C.

I'm not a fan of destroying loot as a response to being attacked. Dragging resources out of inventory should drop them on the ground as doobers instead. it might even buy you some time to escape while the attackers stop to grab them.

But, Would it look like the Rat pooped doobers? Cause that would make a fun video lol!

I would just play a rat to run around and drop slag doobers everywhere...

Edited by dolmar

Show me on the doll where Anthrage touched you. 

Harvesting does seem like it is too tedious and hopefully they will speed the process and change decay on tools.  The not in combat harvesting seems like bad design choice that could easily be rectified.  Give harvesters and crafters value but understand, and I'm talking to @thomasblair, that the bulk of you players are bandits, soldiers, commanders and would be thieves. 

Allowing people to delete poorly made socks while dying has always been odd to me.  Shadowbane allowed it and it always seemed like a gripe move.  I get wanting to spit in the face of your foe but die with some honor. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

I was just thinking, how freaking cool would it look if a gatherer had a AOE field channel instead of single node at a time? (Number of nodes affected and radius subject to skill training)

Stand on top of a mother load and watch strands from all the ore nodes in the area flow towards and up to the center (You).

Makes me think of this.

fTBktPI.jpg

I mean with all the visual options and magic available, why is it a bunch of boring ass tools for whacking at things with?

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

1 minute ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

I was just thinking, how freaking cool would it look if a gatherer had a AOE field channel instead of single node at a time?

Stand on top of a mother load and watch all the ore nodes in the area flow towards and up to the center.

Or even better, summon a number of stoneborn-thralls (thralls are supposed to do work we don't want to anyway like shops and guard duty), maybe 6 or 7 that mine that stuff for you, Kinda like this: 

Bildergebnis für seven dwarfs mining

Nothing ACE does to change gathering will make a bit of difference to stop the whining unless they go as far as Albion Online did and make it so gatherers can basically always get away unless they are AFK.

The real issue is a matter of whether or not people should be able to gather safely and successfully solo.

In general, I suspect most players here will be on the side of that argument that says "no".

However there will always be circumstances where people can't or won't gather as part of group, so you just have to decide if they should be told to sod off and deal with it, or change the game to make solo PvE play more viable.

A number of good points have been raised in this thread and while I may have an opinion on most of them I want to concentrate on the 'harvesting is boring.'

Harvesting is boring, and that is the general consensus...the activity in its current form is pure banality.
There are few people willing to guard those doing it, and even fewer willing to do it, the dull nature of the action is almost mindless and soul sucking. 

This is one of the contributing factors leading people to logging off, and perhaps even not log on again.

Combined with RNG upon RNG upon RNG in regards to crafting a final project and the entire ordeal is overwhelming and frustrating (failure on final crafts, bad experimentation yielding a TERRIBLE PRODUCT even with AMAZING MATERIALS etc.)
I harvest very few hours a week, and craft even less than that, it is quite draining... even my wasted time wandering an empty server looking for a solo fight or a fort to capture feel MORE MEANINGFUL though they are often fruitless. 

Putting the Basic Weapon Racks into the game is definitely a step in the right direction IMO, it is important to let the customer feel they are getting something from a product they paid for (even if it is just 'testing') and that their time is being respected. While it is important to maintain the competitive PvP nature of the game and strategic use of resources... turning people away (unintentionally for the most part) due to having too high a point of entry in regards to time usage is a flaw.

ScornofLife2.jpg

20 minutes ago, DocHollidaze said:

Nothing ACE does to change gathering will make a bit of difference to stop the whining unless they go as far as Albion Online did and make it so gatherers can basically always get away unless they are AFK.

The real issue is a matter of whether or not people should be able to gather safely and successfully solo.

In general, I suspect most players here will be on the side of that argument that says "no".

However there will always be circumstances where people can't or won't gather as part of group, so you just have to decide if they should be told to sod off and deal with it, or change the game to make solo PvE play more viable.

Checking in as one of those that think solo farming should not be catered to.  Equipping a guild is as much a guild activity as the pvp itself.

Anyone that solo farms should do so with the assumption the loot they get will be lost.  Any actual gains are gravy.

Srathor has a guild (and in fact a full blown multi-guild alliance) to protect his farming activities. 

Here, the expected result occured.  Srathor chose not to leverage his guild/alliance and got ganked solo harvesting.

-------

As I've posted elsewhere multiple times, hold F to harvest is physically painful and manages to be a worse harvesting experience than even EVE.  

That said, even if they make harvesting a toggle so you can chat with friends or look around, solo farmer will (and should) get ganked regularly and lose all their stuff. It's a guild vs guild pvp game for a reason.

Edited by angelmar

9 minutes ago, angelmar said:

Anyone that solo farms should do so with the assumption the loot they get will be lost.  Any actual gains are gravy.

Perhaps it will become more difficult in real campaigns after launch, but right now solo harvesters are very effective. Sure, they are vulnerable to being ganked, but that only happens some of the time. I’ve managed to farm quite a bit of stuff solo.

Srathor, what percentage of the loot you solo farm gets lost? What percentage do you manage to keep? @srathor

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

I only harvest solo about 3% of the time. Most of the time I have someone watching my back or at least nearby looking for fights. 

Most of the time I can get away with the loot too. Only some of the time do I get caught. Even then if it is 1 person most of the time I can either fight them off if they are noob or at least get away. 

Of that whopping 3% of the time when I am harvesting solo.  I would say I have gotten away with no loot loss 30% of the time. 
I have probably lost about 3 potion cycles (12 minute timers) 

I really do not harvest much solo since joining UDL they have been good to me.
I only went out solo because I was bored and not really awake yet. 
Ahh well. Anthrage was also nice about it. And played masterfully to get me cold. I just hate the fact that when I wanted a good 30 minutes of gathering I was not able to do it. It took me a bit of time to make the tools and the potions and import the gear and get everything ready, and I got started and had scouted the area and got to whacking and 5 minutes in Bam, time ruined. 

Then everything I tried was sewn up neatly and I got killed. Like I said originally I have been killed in this game hundreds of times, hell I have been ganked easily a 100 times. Sometimes I rage, sometimes I laugh it off. It all depends on the mood and how much work I put into it, vrs how much reward. 

This time I did everything right except the fact that I should never go out alone. I should have just crafted till others got on.
Next time I will do that instead. 

Because the game has made it not worth playing as a gatherer solo. 

Grats the pvpers and designers have won. Hooray!

9 minutes ago, srathor said:

Because the game has made it not worth playing as a gatherer solo. 

You mentioned that most of the time you can get away. Losing even a small percentage of the time makes it not worth playing?

IhhQKY6.gif

1 minute ago, XpCjU said:

I think a big problem is, that all nodes are around the poi's, there should be nodes found everywhere on the map.

I think a much higher concentration at the POIs to spawn conflict, but yes, there def should be way more on the map.  The rest of the map is a dead zone b/c of this.  Might as well just shrink the map at this point.

n0MnLtK.png?2

www.undeadlords.com                                       Crowfall Recruitment

I've been on your side of the equation man, more times than I care to count. I agree gathering is not fun, it's why I don't do it very often. Not sure why you do. This encounter was completely random, I'd been running to the POIs for materials back and forth for an hour and a half - talk about boring, un-fun mechanics - and you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I often don't attack people when I see they are pot buffed - many can attest to this - because I know what a pain in the ass the process is. I feel your pain there. You were somewhat a victim of your own stature and skill here - you may be easy to kill as you say, but you're not easy to catch. I don't care much for loot, but a challenge is hard to pass up.

Sorry man. If it's any consolation, I felt terrible. There's a reason I didn't dry-loot you - you're a quality member of this community. Hate to be the source of a bad day - believe me, I've had my fair share of those. :)

3 minutes ago, srathor said:

Getting that disgruntled off when I am a heart patient, no it is not worth it to me.
I know it is a limited time thing that servers will be this dead, and that I could have gone to the rank 9's out in the corners. 
I didn't.

Hell if you're doing R9s, I'LL protect you. I haven't seen purple or better in ages. :P

It's allot easier to live with a bad moment, or result, if the journey to it was fun.   (See PUBG)

I think the fact that gathering feels more like work than playing a game is possibly going along way to make you feel bad when that time is "wasted" by getting killed.

I @!#$!@ hate what gold farmers have done to these games.  It really is their fault to a large degree that player time value has to be reduced to what a chinese gold farmer makes, in order to manage inflation.

If there is any place to manage it, it should be through crafting gates and production limits.  Trying to slow the flow of raw materials into the game, is like trying to stop a person from bleeding out by opening a vein. Sure you may stop the bleeding, because all the blood is gone, but you kill the patient in the process.

More materials, faster acquisition, and fast loss is a much more fun model in my opinion. 

"Nobody buys materials off the farmers, because it's just easier to go out and get it from real players", should be a goal.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

And to think some people actually wanted players to be forced to be DEDICATED harvesters. Thank god post 5.3 we will be able to train 1 combat and 1 harvesting. That still doesn't remove the disadvantage of having to use harvesting gear (although the stats on gear beyond mitigation are pretty weak so no big loss), harvesting runes (basically just lose 1 major), and be subject to getting dizzy downed (which could be fixed by putting harvesters into combat). 

Actually sounds like post 5.3 it won't be that bad especially if they would consider harvesters "in combat". 

Maybe there should be a skill in the exploration tree that quiets the amount of noise you make when hitting a node. 

Edited by blazzen

Testing isn't supposed to be fun.

In a live game gatherers will need to work together to use numbers for protection, or hire combat-oriented players to protect them, if they want to be protected. 

If people want to complain about the mechanics of crafting not being fun, that's one thing, but ACE should not be catering to solo situations in an mmorpg.

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

25 minutes ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

Testing isn't supposed to be fun.

In a live game gatherers will need to work together to use numbers for protection, or hire combat-oriented players to protect them, if they want to be protected. 

If people want to complain about the mechanics of crafting not being fun, that's one thing, but ACE should not be catering to solo situations in an mmorpg.

Testing isn't supposed to be fun, correct.  Testing helps us and ACE figure out what is actually fun, and what isn't.

Harvesting isn't by it's current design fun.  Problem identified.

ACE has said they are doing "something" to change harvesting.  Great.  They listened.  

Since the code is probably still being worked on, now is exactly the right time for us to throw all our 2c in on the situation, so maybe in the future harvesting can be fun. This is a fantasy game, with fantasy character play.  There is nothing fantastical about hammering on rocks or chopping trees. I personally would like ACE to consider making at least some part of harvesting FEEL fantastical and powerful for the player.

Walking into a cluster of nodes, summoning a spell, and watching wave after wave of node fall and be transported to your inventory feels fantastical. Loud, flashy, obvious from a distance, and provides a sense for new players, who can at best pull down one node each cast for example, of "damn I can't wait until I can do that.".

Chop, Chop, Chop, Chop, is not.

90% of srathors topic was about how gathering wasn't fun, and 10% about the gank.  

Try to keep focused people. Getting ganked looks like it was just icing on the cake, the final straw as it were.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken