Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
srathor

I do not like how gathering in Crowfall makes me feel

1 hour ago, Jah said:

If you don't like the risk of having your full inventory looted while harvesting then pick a campaign type with less hardcore looting rules. There will undoubtedly be campaigns available without 100% inventory loot.

That doesn't change the fact that there is still a problem most of the pop has with the way harvesting works, how pve harvesting is required (lack of mines and caravans) and the often one sided fights that harvesting leads to (even with the separation of harvesting and major discs). 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Just now, mandalore said:

That doesn't change the fact that there is still a problem most of the pop has with the way harvesting works, how pve harvesting is required (lack of mines and caravans) and the often one sided fights that harvesting leads to (even with the separation of harvesting and major discs). 

I wasn't claiming it would solve everything. It solves one thing-- not everyone wants to play with 100% inventory looting. They won't all have to. Different looting rules for different types of campaigns has always been the plan.

IhhQKY6.gif

@srathor I do agree with you that gathering is boring. And the “reward feeling” lacks compared to combat or crafting. But fact is that gatherers are the most rewarding, without their efforts the game literally does not work. They are the most important cog in the machine. Protection duty sucks right now cause pop is so low but it will be more enjoyable with higher pop I hope. I know I’ll try to make it interesting at least  

Gear breaks, gathering never ends. if someone gets geared then goes off to do their own thing without continuing to help isn’t going to get geared again when their stuff breaks.

Honestly any game that continually wipes all your progress will drive players away. And the idiots who constantly try to spread rumors of another wipe don’t help. The current state of gatherer/ganker dynamic only drives the worst of the carebears away, highly doubt the low pop has anything to do with that dynamic. 

1 hour ago, Jah said:

I wasn't claiming it would solve everything. It solves one thing-- not everyone wants to play with 100% inventory looting. They won't all have to. Different looting rules for different types of campaigns has always been the plan.

You often propose the solution for most problems is the ability to turn knobs and find the right server for you.  How many servers do you think they are going to have?  It’s going to be a pain in the ass for them to manage 50 different servers with different rules, different time zones, some factions, some dregs, different rng zones, pop balance issues, faction balance issues, class/race restrictions and all on varying lengths of planned campaign time plus any that end early due to failure of concept.  That’s a fair amount of juggling from a small dev team that can’t give us reliable and meaningful updates about  pre-alpha content. 

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

6 minutes ago, mandalore said:

You often propose the solution for most problems is the ability to turn knobs and find the right server for you.  How many servers do you think they are going to have?  It’s going to be a pain in the ass for them to manage 50 different servers with different rules, different time zones, some factions, some dregs, different rng zones, pop balance issues, faction balance issues, class/race restrictions and all on varying lengths of planned campaign time plus any that end early due to failure of concept.  That’s a fair amount of juggling from a small dev team that can’t give us reliable and meaningful updates about  pre-alpha content. 

I think there will be enough servers so that they don't all have to have the same looting rules.

IhhQKY6.gif

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Jah said:

I think there will be enough servers so that they don't all have to have the same looting rules.

That’s hopeful wishing.  Where’s the Jah that deals on hard facts and empirical data?  You’re the first to call people when they are wrong, don’t get lazy on me when t suits your narrative. 

Edited by mandalore

wiDfyPp.png

2 minutes ago, mandalore said:

That’s hopeful wishing.  Where’s the Jah that deals on hard facts and empirical data?  You’re the first to call people when they are wrong, don’t get lazy on me when t suits your narrative. 

We have zero hard facts about how big the population will be at any time after the game launches. Speculating that there won't be enough population to have even two different rulesets is a waste of time.

IhhQKY6.gif

10 minutes ago, Jah said:

We have zero hard facts about how big the population will be at any time after the game launches. Speculating that there won't be enough population to have even two different rulesets is a waste of time.

Yea but your proposed solution to basically anybody not liking a “knob capable rule” is always to play on a server that has the rules you want.   I don’t think that’s really the answer though.  Yes, they can and should change rules till they find what’s right.  Yes, they can and should try some wonky stuff. Will they be able to have 50 (10?) servers with variant rules, different time frames, different time zones and some how manage to police the poorly made socks show that is player balance and population?  custard no. 

wiDfyPp.png

Just now, mandalore said:

Yea but your proposed solution to basically anybody not liking a “knob capable rule” is always to play on a server that has the rules you want.   I don’t think that’s really the answer though.  Yes, they can and should change rules till they find what’s right.  Yes, they can and should try some wonky stuff. Will they be able to have 50 (10?) servers with variant rules, different time frames, different time zones and some how manage to police the poorly made socks show that is player balance and population?  custard no. 

They have talked about having different looting rules from the beginning, and also very recently. I fully expect to see different looting rules in different campaigns.

Recent evidence this is still planned:

IhhQKY6.gif

3 hours ago, srathor said:

Once they get theirs, most stop showing up as often.

Pretty much this.  This is not about being a carebear, this is about incentive to engage in the various tasks the game has to offer.

As boring as it is to go around clicking on nodes, it's even MORE boring to stand around watching somebody else do it.  This is why people don't group up for harvesting.

That, and the fact that once they get the stuff they're looking for, they don't stick around.  I get how the game is "supposed" to be, but reality isn't playing out like that.

I don't mean to just complain; I want to offer a few suggestions:

1. Make high ranking resource nodes a faction map objective!  This will definitely add meaningful PvP experience between sieges.  Also, it will be a good money sink for people to buy guards (give the boring job of watching over people busting nodes to NPCs)

2.  Just as we have a different hotbar for harvesting and combat that is easy to switch between, the same opportunity should exist for gear and discs.  That way harvesters can quickly switch modes and have a fighting chance.

38 minutes ago, Tiberius_Invictus said:

I get how the game is "supposed" to be, but reality isn't playing out like that.

I always get a kick out of people who say "the game is suppose to be...."  The game is not "suppose to be" anything except a game for fun specially at this stage of things.  what happens is you start out with a concept and then as time goes by and you get feedback and data back from things, it evolves and evolves some more until launch and then it continues to evolve some more.  I don't think anything really is set in stone.  Now this whole concept of the "guild" sending out guards to guard the harvesters is insane.  You'll never catch me pulling guard duty cause its insanely boring and I have a limited time to game and won't spend it twiddling my thumbs while someone else collects their stuff.  You see, we have a thing called real life with jobs and families and such that requires our attention and so many of us only have 1 or 2 or 3 hours to game here and there and so we don't want to waste our limited time on something that is not fun and fulfilling.  I like the above posters idea having npc's pull guard duty though.  :)  :)  

24 minutes ago, Drizzzt said:

Now this whole concept of the "guild" sending out guards to guard the harvesters is insane.

On the contrary, I think it is insane to think the harvesting in this game would not involve PvP. We are going to play "king of the hill" over the resources, and people who refuse to fight over the resources are going to do poorly.

IhhQKY6.gif

Posted (edited)

@Tiberius_Invictus

on #2, very unlikely to happen. You’re not supposed to have one character that can do it all. Each vessel is supposed to be specialized. 

On #1, I’m all for more meaningful map objectives but that doesn’t really work. Some others have suggested outposts/forts to give area buffs (ex 5% Ben harvest). Would be easier to code since the capture system is already in place. Also plays into the resource node control. 

@Drizzzt

you can’t really do that to a kickstarter. If the game doesn’t hold mostly true to the proposed vision that was presented to investors they can have issues arise that have nothing to do with playing the game. 

Honestly if you’re not willing to help the team effort cause you’re selfish with your available time then maybe a game based around team work is not the best choice for you. 

Personally I find gathering and anything pve mind numbingly painful. But I do it with my limited play time, and I’m a selfish person. In the end it improves my experience as well as the people I enjoy playing with. Loss Win Win for me. 

Edited by oneply
Typo

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, oneply said:

@Tiberius_Invictus

on #2, very unlikely to happen. You’re not supposed to have one character that can do it all. Each vessel is supposed to be specialized. 

On #1, I’m all for more meaningful map objectives but that doesn’t really work. Some others have suggested outposts/forts to give area buffs (ex 5% Ben harvest). Would be easier to code since the capture system is already in place. Also plays into the resource node control. 

@Drizzzt

you can’t really do that to a kickstarter. If the game doesn’t hold mostly true to the proposed vision that was presented to investors they can have issues arise that have nothing to do with playing the game. 

Honestly if you’re not willing to help the team effort cause you’re selfish with your available time then maybe a game based around team work is not the best choice for you. 

Personally I find gathering and anything pve mind numbingly painful. But I do it with my limited play time, and I’m a selfish person. In the end it improves my experience as well as the people I enjoy playing with. Loss Win Win for me. 

actually number 1 was not about a "doing it all" thing.  its was about having a specific hotbar for harvesting which others in this thread have mentioned as well.  based on how this game is set up with the passive training, one toon CAN do it all given enough time but of course that would be a toon that is many years old which given enough time is possible.  look to eve.  course in the short term its all about having many alts which actually is the same effect as "one toon doing it all".... Meaning one person can do it all (mostly :)  ) but I digress.  Now I did not say a game shouldn't hold "mostly true" to the original proposal.  What I said is the whole "suppose to be"  is inaccurate.  what aspect is "suppose to be"????  you acknowledge they only hold "mostly true"  so what part are we talking about where things are "suppose to be"  and what parts are "mostly true"???  that was the point I was making.....  You can make that choice with your "limited time" if you want to but not all of us with make the same choice and calling me names doesn't help make your case either friend  :)  :)   

Edited by Drizzzt

30 minutes ago, Jah said:

On the contrary, I think it is insane to think the harvesting in this game would not involve PvP. We are going to play "king of the hill" over the resources, and people who refuse to fight over the resources are going to do poorly.

I didn't say harvesting shouldn't have pvp in it.  I said guarding those who harvest is boring and something I wouldn't do.  There is still pvp involved in it with the ganks and what not and no I don't buy the idea "people who refuse to fight over resources are going to do poorly"  I never fight over resources and so far I am doing fine.  I simply look for the best way to acquire what I want without fighting. :)  occasionally I get ganked.  :)  all part of the game :)  

1 hour ago, Drizzzt said:

actually number 1 was not about a "doing it all" thing.  its was about having a specific hotbar for harvesting which others in this thread have mentioned as well.  based on how this game is set up with the passive training, one toon CAN do it all given enough time but of course that would be a toon that is many years old which given enough time is possible.  look to eve.  course in the short term its all about having many alts which actually is the same effect as "one toon doing it all".... Meaning one person can do it all (mostly :)  ) but I digress.  Now I did not say a game shouldn't hold "mostly true" to the original proposal.  What I said is the whole "suppose to be"  is inaccurate.  what aspect is "suppose to be"????  you acknowledge they only hold "mostly true"  so what part are we talking about where things are "suppose to be"  and what parts are "mostly true"???  that was the point I was making.....  You can make that choice with your "limited time" if you want to but not all of us with make the same choice and calling me names doesn't help make your case either friend  :)  :)   

i didnt call you a name. 

3 hours ago, Tiberius_Invictus said:

2.  Just as we have a different hotbar for harvesting and combat that is easy to switch between, the same opportunity should exist for gear and discs.  That way harvesters can quickly switch modes and have a fighting chance.

read that again Drizzzt. 

customer pays me to bake a traditional cake. I take that money and craft a recipe. that recipe turns out to be a muffin. and then i deliver that muffin instead of the cake. it was supposed to be a cake. 

vs

customer pays me to bake a traditional cake. I take that money and craft a recipe. that recipe turns out to be an ice cream cake. and then i deliver that ice cream cake instead of the traditional cake. its a cake still but not exactly what was expected. 

which scenario causes more issues for the customer and myself? 

1 minute ago, oneply said:

i didnt call you a name. 

read that again Drizzzt. 

customer pays me to bake a traditional cake. I take that money and craft a recipe. that recipe turns out to be a muffin. and then i deliver that muffin instead of the cake. it was supposed to be a cake. 

vs

customer pays me to bake a traditional cake. I take that money and craft a recipe. that recipe turns out to be an ice cream cake. and then i deliver that ice cream cake instead of the traditional cake. its a cake still but not exactly what was expected. 

which scenario causes more issues for the customer and myself? 

neither.  those scenarios and this one are not the same.  In the above the baker only has to cater to the one person who orders said cake or maybe the small group of friends who orders said cake.  For the game, they have to satisfy the original backers at first of course as best they can but they also have to create a game that draws in even more people.  People who never backed the original game.  Those people may well have ideas of fun that are not the same as what the backers originally wanted but if the game wants to survive and grow, they have to evolve into something that satisfies the larger group of people.  That would be people other than the original backers.  Like I have said before to others about kickstarter games,  the original backers help the game to get started but to give a game legs to last, that won't come from the backers, that will be due to all the new blood they bring in as the game progresses so ya, I stand by my original statement and this is coming from a backer of this game fyi.  :)  :)  

On 9/13/2017 at 7:51 AM, srathor said:

Anthrage just ganked me on Live 5.2.7.

I have been ganked many many times before. 
This one feels special though. 

I was on my rat. Why? because the rat is the best at getting away. With the loot I have spent much time preparing to gather. With the loot I have spent much boring time actually gathering.
Please note the word boring. Gathering in Crowfall is a chore. It could be used as punishment. Add on top of that the chance that at any second you could be killed does not make the chore any better, it does not make the activity of holding F and exposing you in a pvp game any more fun. 

What is the first rule in any pvp game. Do not stand still. 

Bleh I don't feel like typing up all this poorly made socks. None of it matters. None of it will make a damn bit of difference. 

Gathering in Crowfall is not fun. When I do it, I feel like my time is being deliberately wasted. I feel weak, and exposed.
I feel like I am wasting the guards that I have to have around me time as well. 
I feel like I am fighting the game, and the other players are just the tools of the devs to punish people who dare to gather.

I do not like this feeling. 

So I play a lot of survival games, infestation survivor stories, H1Z1, loved H1z1, and This is an extremely popular complaint. 

Most people are here because this reminds them of shadow bane or another rpg, I'm hear because it reminds me of that survival aspect I so love.  My reply although harsh is learn to loot smarter and you will find success more often than not.

Some tips I would recommend is to get out and explore find those high ranked parcels that have less traffic. Use a character that has stealth to harvest. Don't harvest around people of your faction you don't know!! they often tell their friends on discord your location and you will get ganked. Have a friend act as a mule that is in stealth and constantly trade with him to bank your loot. if this isn't possible pay attention to siege times and if you have a keep or fort go for those High ranked nodes but DON'T forget to bank often, sooo many people don't do this. Pay attention to peak hours of play, I pvp during peak and harvest in off peak.

I don't find to much problem harvesting, and I actually like the risk vs reward feeling, when I get that good bank, I feel like I'm a survivor.

Good luck out their man, as you play more you learn and will come up with your own strats, it gets better.

20 hours ago, bignick22000 said:

So I play a lot of survival games, infestation survivor stories, H1Z1, loved H1z1, and This is an extremely popular complaint. 

Most people are here because this reminds them of shadow bane or another rpg, I'm hear because it reminds me of that survival aspect I so love.  My reply although harsh is learn to loot smarter and you will find success more often than not.

Thanks for the advice. But. please check the date on the original post. That was after I was already playing for 9ish months. :)

I have been around while.