Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ACE_JackalBark

Race/Class Post-Implementation! - Official Discussion Thread

I'm very pleased to see  such progress and have always been a fan  of the switch to a divergent race/class system - breaking limited Archetypes will give the game wider appeal and greater "staying power"!     I'm eager to see many of the other races and class combos on the horizon and it overall seems to be a good selection for launch with the exception of one omission - Duelist being a single-race class.  

Other classes have at least 3 or as many as 6 Races around which to create their character judging by the current chart, but unfortunately Duelist is at the moment only scheduled to be available for the Guinecean.   Especially as a player who is a fan of the Duelist aesthetic and playstyle (ie the graceful swordsman/musketeer/rogue; I played an Elven Blade Dancer in Shadowbane way back when, a Swashbuckler in EverQuest 2 etc.) , yet typically prefers playing races of a less bestial nature,  the absence is certainly noted.  

Looking at the other planned race/class combinations, I can't think of any reason why the Duelist is not given the same treatment as others for launch.    In the past I've heard others say it is a race/class fantasy element, but under the new system I don't think that holds up - after all, Guineceans themselves are now available to be Clerics and  stalwart tanking Knights!   Thus, I don't think it would be unreasonable to offer Duelist to other "Dex-friendly" races, preferably the Elves (Half, Wood and High Elves.   Perhaps also the Fae?). I  can think of some lore developments that could make it fit, as well.    

I would certainly urge ArtCraft to bring the Duelist up to parity by bringing it to at least 2 other races, ideally as part of the launch plans.  Should it not be possible to add to the schedule prior to launch, then it would still be helpful to know that other race Duelists are confirmed for post-launch implementation.  Thanks!

11 minutes ago, RanceJustice said:

Looking at the other planned race/class combinations, I can't think of any reason why the Duelist is not given the same treatment as others for launch. 

animation work mainly [which is expensive for time/money and the duelist is very niche at the moment animation wise]

plus adapting the 'burrow' theme to a non guin race is also problematic (or would then become too generic compared to assassin stealth perhaps?), as well as the lore also dictating that gunpowder is guin only

it would be interesting to hear @jtoddcoleman's plans about this long term though

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

36 minutes ago, Tinnis said:

animation work mainly [which is expensive for time/money and the duelist is very niche at the moment animation wise]

plus adapting the 'burrow' theme to a non guin race is also problematic (or would then become too generic compared to assassin stealth i dont know?), as well as the lore also dictating that gunpowder is guin only

it would be interesting to hear there plans about this though (as a long term picture)

Are Duelist animations (apart from Guin specific ones) that different from the other classes?  I know that all classes and races needed to be reworked with new animations, but I can't think of any reason that Duelist would particularly be any different.    Especially with Disciplines in the works and animations for them (ie some disciplines grant Bow use to  those that may not otherwise use them etc) I figured that most previously niche animations would be expanded  upon to ensure wider access.

Considering that Burrow is something Guin specific and will be available to all Guins regardless of class if I recall, I assumed that any Duelist-mechanics linked to Burrow were more or less vestigial? As far as Lore is concerned, I'm sure that there can be some expansion to it - Guin being diplomatic, outgoing, and honorable it seems they would head out into the world to share of their culture and learn of others.  Many Half and Wood Elves would share with the Guin an affinity for Gaea (who provided The Gift to the latter) which could mean an opportunity for certain members to learn the Duelist's path. Likewise,  High Elves (of certain factions) could have an interest in Alchemy etc..  I figure there are lore compliant ways to do so, within the realm of the flexibility necessitated by the other race/class variations.

Just knowing that Duelist expansion is on the docket would be an improvement at this point, and I can hope that it will be given the same kind of independent attention and racial flexibility as any other class.

Edited by RanceJustice

55 minutes ago, RanceJustice said:

Looking at the other planned race/class combinations, I can't think of any reason why the Duelist is not given the same treatment as others for launch.    In the past I've heard others say it is a race/class fantasy element, but under the new system I don't think that holds up - after all, Guineceans themselves are now available to be Clerics and  stalwart tanking Knights!   Thus, I don't think it would be unreasonable to offer Duelist to other "Dex-friendly" races, preferably the Elves (Half, Wood and High Elves.   Perhaps also the Fae?). I  can think of some lore developments that could make it fit, as well.   

I could see Fae and Half-Elves (and probably by extension, Humans) being duelists, but I feel like it wouldn't really line up with a Wood-Elf aesthetic/fantasy and it's the kind of thing that's probably below High-Elves. I'm not really a fan of duelists tbh, but it would be cool to see it opened up.

231e101d88.jpg

"And a huge number of our design data tables were filled with archetype-related data… not for just the current archetypes, but the future ones we intended to build."

So you guys already have some classes planned but chose to keep a secret? I can understand why but i must ask if we could tell us more about them.

9 minutes ago, BarriaKarl said:

"And a huge number of our design data tables were filled with archetype-related data… not for just the current archetypes, but the future ones we intended to build."

So you guys already have some classes planned but chose to keep a secret? I can understand why but i must ask if we could tell us more about them.

The key word there is Archetypes. They aren't talking about future classes.

IhhQKY6.gif

12 minutes ago, Jah said:

The key word there is Archetypes. They aren't talking about future classes.

Well, since those are outdated data they should be converted to classes in todays terms. Future archetypes means future classes... probably.

they could be referring to ideas from stalker and forgemaster that are moving to say ranger or stoneborn, as well as work on frostweaver/assassin? <shrug>

only future class word is on a "bard"

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

18 minutes ago, BarriaKarl said:

Well, since those are outdated data they should be converted to classes in todays terms. Future archetypes means future classes... probably.

They were "future archetypes" because they had not yet been implemented.

IhhQKY6.gif