Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kosef

I Just Want Shadowbane 2 Lol

I like the crowfall concepts dont get me wrong...

but all i really want it Shadowbane 2 (original shadowbane with 2015 graphics that runs stable) Give me that, and I'd buy a lifetime sub in a heartbeat.

This is all we really need. 

Instead we are talking about crafting, trophies and tattoos.... 

Edited by Vindi

Every time they compare this game to a board game or a sport, and talk about win conditions and rules, it makes me cringe in that SB was the literal opposite of a sport - it was war.  I don't think it will fill the void that SB left, but there's still a small chance they will execute amazingly, or change some of their core designs.

Edited by frobobo

I don't think it will fill the void that SB left, but there's still a small chance they will execute amazingly, or change some of their core designs.

Unless they take a 90deg turn, this will not even be close to the Play To Crush Model. 

I am seeing less and less Shadowbane loyals posting in the General Discussion too, I think that speaks volumes for the content drops.

Unless they take a 90deg turn, this will not even be close to the Play To Crush Model. 

I am seeing less and less Shadowbane loyals posting in the General Discussion too, I think that speaks volumes for the content drops.

That is a bit of a stretch. I know plenty of people will post and share their opinions and then vanish until the game gets close to releasing or releases.

just open the world and lets us build n destroy each other

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me.

694a6f04-03a1-4af3-8e11-ddd1baa87348.jpg

Hoping for Shadowbane 2 is the biggest stretch of them all. Even if someone made a game just like it, they definitely couldn't call it Shadowbane 2.

SB was a niche game. Small potatoes in a large mmo community.

And the Risk thing was a comparison to help people understand. It's hard to help people who haven't spent time in a primary PvP game figure out what there is to do other than gank 24/7.

It speaks volumes that you either like it or you don't. No point participating in discussions about block or high heels on female characters. Plus, people keep reposting the same old crap. I'm not going to participate in the noobery there. The basic structure of the game has already been announced. Just spend another 2 weeks waiting for more content drops really.

Edited by headlight

Just went into the general discussion/suggestion box threads for 5 minutes and I already don't want to go back.

"Why does someone need to lose in PvP?"

"We should have reputation. People should think before they PvP"

Good god don't make me go back. It's scary in there. I'd rather get zerged by CN for an hour with no safe mode and not being able to log out.

yeah....this is in now way even close to sb in any stretch of the imagination. ..

which is ok...once I got over the disappointment

no...this is something new.....whether or not it suits sbers sensitivities and needs is still way too early to tell

but it might have so.e fun....we will see

but yeah...now it's just another game, imo....

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

Every time they compare this game to a board game or a sport, and talk about win conditions and rules, it makes me cringe in that SB was the literal opposite of a sport - it was war.  I don't think it will fill the void that SB left, but there's still a small chance they will execute amazingly, or change some of their core designs.

lol, it was war?  It was a game.  It simulated war better than any other MMO to date [Edit just to say, not even this tbh if you take into account WWII Online], but equating "win conditions and rules" to not being able to simulate war is fallacious. (e.g.)

I'm not here to defend CF as a proper SB sequel - it isn't. I'm simply speaking directly to your assertion that a board game or sport couldn't describe exactly what Shadowbane (or any other MMO for that matter) is on a quintessential level. 

There were rules in Shadowbane.  Everything is represented artificially - the banestone:  WTF?  A rock that if you destroy it just magically makes your city safe?  WTF...your city is magically protected unless I spend a bunch of money on this magical stone?  They're just rules of the game.  They're constructs to organize the way we interact.  Sport, Game, "War"...it doesn't matter.  It's a world of make believe, governed by constructs to organize the way we interact.  Victory is simply defined within that context. 

Shadowbane was a "board game" or "sport" in essence.  The mechanics functioned as any would in a board or table top game to set the boundaries of the illusory environment.  It's up to your imagination to suspend disbelief - to engage the "world" from within.  The only reason our irl isn't a "board game" is because we aren't gods deciding the rules of the game.  Alas, various occult practices claim otherwise!  But, that's another conversation...

Essentially, you're saying you don't like the rules they've chosen.  In sticking with a board game analogy - you don't like Yahtzee, and its competition in isolation of each other player.  You like the way A&A rules were better, and how the main locus of the game was conflict and interactive competition between players.  Shadowbane was Axis & Allies, and you wanted that **** again - not Yahtzee (i.e. it's still competitive between players, but players don't impact each other). This is different than saying sports or board games are intrinsically "less than" what Shadowbane was.  Shadowbane was no better than a sport or board game in terms of being a game in which to play make believe with other humans. 

Now, you can, of course, say any countless other sport or board game or MMO is "less than" Shadowbane for any slew of reasons.  But, I'm having a disconnect if you're saying it's because they have rules and win conditions, and that SB was the literal opposite of a sport.  It was anything but opposite of a sport, let alone the literal representation.  Reasoning along the lines of "CF rules don't allow for knocking other players "out" of the game (see: EK), and I enjoy that aspect in my games" would have a stronger foundation.

Edited by mourne

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

I was hoping this was some sort of SB clone just with a new engine, but as i read more and more, It is not. I am fine with giving it a proper chance, but if it starts going the way of WoW, or archeage, or candyland or any other poorly made socks box crap they try to convince us is good, out the door i will go and never look back.

We do not want trophies, or titles, or shiny, Baubles, trinkets, cash shops, pretty clothes, dolphin mounts, color coded candy flavored items, etc etc etc < insert more random crap here >.

We want a playable game, with decent graphics and great PVP content. We want high risk vs reward for items we take with us on to the battle field. We want a player built city that is NOT safe, that can be torn down / destroyed / burnt / smashed / captured. We want basic crafting items that will help us wage territory wars, there should not be, craft item 1 and item 2, now pray it creates item 3, then take item 4 +5 and maybe it will forge together to make item 6 and so on and so on. We want take resource, forge resource into sword , go kill people with that sword.

Work on the core of the game, work on decent classes, decent skills, items for combat, city controls, guild controls, .. do not spend valuable time and resources on trying to get the right shade of pink for your cloak.

Take the SB model, the SB core idea and expand on it and bring it to 2015. There is a reason why after all these years, you jsut mention SB and your forums become flooded with eager willing to pay players. in other words.. Dont custard this up.

"tell the world that it is the will of the gods that my Rome be head of all the world."

I think Crowfall actually comes closer to what Shadowbane was supposed to be in a way which Shadowbane itself was ultimately unable to live up to. The political aspect of Shadowbane died off after the first couple of years, never to return. The game would be populated thereafter by the RPK guilds who were after "good fights" more than they were "world domination" or "empire building". And so each guild spread out its assets as distantly as possible to gain quick, easy access to as many areas (and mines) as possible. We'd fight the same people over and over again until it got boring and we left to play other games. A new server or some other development would draw us back with the promise of more action, and we'd repeat the process. We did this over and over with the same 500-1000 people for years until the game finally died. I don't even want to touch goofybane, that's a whole other story.

Crowfall avoids the sort of certain stagnation which plagued SB by giving us an end. An end in the sense that the world will end, but also an end goal to desire and work towards. Someone will win, and winning will be worth it (we don't know exactly how, but let's accept the premise for now). This feature drives people to work together, and work together to work against others. Someone has to win, but who will that be, and how will it be determined? We, the players, determine who wins and how. Wars on the GvG worlds won't be trading a few banes, but never really pursuing a complete victory for fear of losing a good competitor. Now there's an incentive to pursue a decisive conclusion to each war.

This game will be superior to Shadowbane in almost every way. What are you afraid of? The Eternal Kingdoms? That's like being concerned because you can't siege a guild's website! We're invading their mIRC chat room! Bring the trebuchets! Delete all their posts! Burn their video archive! We don't know how the EKs will work, exactly, but even if they're part trophy room, part carebear RP playground, this really doesn't impact gameplay for the GvG worlds at all. Cities will need to be built in the dying worlds, resources will need to be acquired in the dying worlds, equipment will need to be crafted in the dying worlds, cities will be burnt to the ground in the dying worlds. There's a place for things of consequence to happen, and the fact that there's also a place without consequence does not detract from the meaning and impact of the former. So what if someone hides in the EKs and talks ****? All you need do is invite them to the dying worlds. If they refuse, then you need not worry- they are all talk. It's been suggested that in order even have an EK, you'll need to first "win" in the dying worlds. So the badassery of your guild website/trophy room is directly proportional to how many gigantic server wars you won? Sounds awesome.

Edited by soulein

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

I think this might be actually a good change. New world, new lore, new characters, other new poorly made socks. Personally, i cant wait to again start learning to play some good mmo. The possible builds, strategies and other things. Its 2015, so ofcourse they added many things sb didnt have, but it can end well i think. I believe in Todd and his team to do a good job on this game. Since there is nothing even close to sb nowadays, i will probably end up playing this anyway.

I personally believe that most shadowbane players will not be able to adapt to modern systems like action combat.  They will then blame the game for not being hardcore enough and they will fade away. 

SB did not do well as an mmorpg.  JTC wants to take the good concepts from SB and make an mmorpg that will do well.  He does not want to recreate a flop. 

When crowfall comes out we will see who goes into the pvp and does well, and who doesn't and just sits there making excuses. 

You act like SB flopped because it didn't have action combat? The game flopped for several reasons, but the largest reasons was that it was released buggy and didn't work right. That drove some players away.

Some didn't like being ganked off of noob land, that drove some players away.

Some didn't like losing a city and their pixels, that drove some players away.

Some didn't like the lack of end game content, that drove some players away.

Out of the one 100 reasons that shadowbane failed, action combat wouldn't even make the list.

You act like SB flopped because it didn't have action combat? The game flopped for several reasons, but the largest reasons was that it was released buggy and didn't work right. That drove some players away.

Some didn't like being ganked off of noob land, that drove some players away.

Some didn't like losing a city and their pixels, that drove some players away.

Some didn't like the lack of end game content, that drove some players away.

Out of the one 100 reasons that shadowbane failed, action combat wouldn't even make the list.

But what has been shown is that SB players have an inability to adapt to newer games, instead proclaiming their failed game as the best pvp experience.  Action combat is one of the systems they have been complaining about a ton since it was announced that crowfall would have a more action combat type system.  I just personally believe action combat will be too much for SB players because they have struggled with other games that also had action combat, and it is a big difference compared to the system SB used.